Jeff Sims

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If I had to choose yes. Yates is a good decision maker. I don't think it is a dichotomy though. I think Sims needs a bit more time to learn the QB position at this level. I think Sims can be great once he learns how to go through the progressions and limit his turnovers.
Sometimes I wonder is everyone watching the same game. We literally have only won one game with Yates playing the majority of snaps.
He is turning it over 2+ times a game and I know for a fact 2 ints that should have happened that got erased by bad calls in our favor. He is a turnover machine the numbers don't lie.
6 ints over 5 games played isn’t 2+ per game.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
He may eventually give us the best chance, the question is with the current admin last long enough? We have a back up who is very capable of winning games. We might even have more W's if the back up was starting.
I love what our back-up brings to the game. Look back, you see I've always touted the "it" factor he brings. But, let's be real, it's not our offensive output or the turnovers that have been the reason we've lost games. In my opinion, we're probably not in most of these games if not for Sims's ability at QB. I think if we want to talk about games lost versus games won, we're talking about the wrong side of the ball.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I hear you I do. The question is, how long as a fan base do we continue to attribute his turnovers to him being young? I mean this is his 2nd year as the starter, I see some progress with his deep ball and letting plays develop (not looking to run at the first hole that opens up), but the turnovers just kill us every game. I mean the UVA and VT games were winnable games in my opinion had we played better on D, made some more plays on O, and held on to the ball. The other thing that concerns me is some of these throws just aren't smart football, some of the INTs are just Sims throwing it up because hes about to be sacked. I'm really looking for smarter QB play and for us to put a string of consistent smart QB play together. Since UNC its been pretty bad.

Heres to hoping Sims can continue to progress, he does have tremendous potential.
This is his 2nd year in college, not just 2nd year as a starter. I'll ask the question again: is there a 1st or 2nd year QB not playing for a non-Top25 team that has better stats? Regardless of ranking (more a reflection of the whole team than the young QB), give me 5 1st or 2nd year QB's starting that are better.

As I've said above, we're talking about the wrong side of the football if we're questioning wins. In general, freshmen and sophomores don't start at the P5 level. There's a reason for that. Go back and look at Lil' Joe's stats. He didn't start until his RS Freshman year. He had almost twice as many INT's as TD's. The next year it was less than 2:1 TD:INT. It takes time to make the transition, especially behind an OL that doesn't seem to block well in passing situations.

1635968667313.png

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I love what our back-up brings to the game. Look back, you see I've always touted the "it" factor he brings. But, let's be real, it's not our offensive output or the turnovers that have been the reason we've lost games. In my opinion, we're probably not in most of these games if not for Sims's ability at QB. I think if we want to talk about games lost versus games won, we're talking about the wrong side of the ball.
This is spot on. We are not scoring a ton of points because of our failures in the red zone. The argument that we would be winning with Yates is simply wrong. We are losing because our opponents are scoring points with not enough resistance from our defense.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
This is spot on. We are not scoring a ton of points because of our failures in the red zone. The argument that we would be winning with Yates is simply wrong. We are losing because our opponents are scoring points with not enough resistance from our defense.
Our OL injury woes have much to do with this. Hard to score in the red zone when you can't run the ball.

jacketz212

Jolly Good Fellow
Even better. Unfortunately, other fans think Simm’s is turning it over 2+ times a game despite facts showing otherwise.
I'll give you the facts... of 16 games Sims has played in while at Tech, he has 9 games of 2+ turnovers... so more than half the games he's played he's had more than 2 turnovers...

6-10 games his freshman year
3-6 games his *second* freshman year

AND 13 of the 16 games he has played in, he has at least one turnover...

too many turnovers will keep your defense on the field longer and wear them... and that doesn't help that its a mediocre (at best) defense anyways

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I hear you I do. The question is, how long as a fan base do we continue to attribute his turnovers to him being young? I mean this is his 2nd year as the starter, I see some progress with his deep ball and letting plays develop (not looking to run at the first hole that opens up), but the turnovers just kill us every game. I mean the UVA and VT games were winnable games in my opinion had we played better on D, made some more plays on O, and held on to the ball. The other thing that concerns me is some of these throws just aren't smart football, some of the INTs are just Sims throwing it up because hes about to be sacked. I'm really looking for smarter QB play and for us to put a string of consistent smart QB play together. Since UNC its been pretty bad.

Heres to hoping Sims can continue to progress, he does have tremendous potential.
It took Joe Hamilton to year 3 to get through it.

KJ_Buzz

Georgia Tech Fan
I'll give you the facts... of 16 games Sims has played in while at Tech, he has 9 games of 2+ turnovers... so more than half the games he's played he's had more than 2 turnovers...

too many turnovers will keep your defense on the field longer and wear them... and that doesn't help that its a mediocre (at best) defense anyways
Do you realize he started his freshman year without a full spring and a COVID off season? It was a miracle he was even QB1. We will be better because he took these lumps early. If you can't tell he is a much better QB today than last year, then you need to stop criticizing his play because you are blind. I was critical of Sims during the first game against NIU but since he came in at the UNC game, he has shown that he is a much better QB than last year. Sims is far from perfect right now but he has best chance of being an elite QB. I think Yates could be a very solid ACC QB, but Sims is the only one who could be elite.

The defense is on the field longer because they can't stop anyone on third or fourth down.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Even better. Unfortunately, other fans think Simm’s is turning it over 2+ times a game despite facts showing otherwise.

It might be a bit off, he is only credited with 3 fumbles and 6ints. this year in the 6 games he started. Last year is to bad to even look at. But his numbers this year are not accurate as he has been bailed out by the stripes for at least 2 ints. And they gave credit to our RBs on bad hand offs a few times.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
This is his 2nd year in college, not just 2nd year as a starter. I'll ask the question again: is there a 1st or 2nd year QB not playing for a non-Top25 team that has better stats? Regardless of ranking (more a reflection of the whole team than the young QB), give me 5 1st or 2nd year QB's starting that are better.
Here are 16 QBs that are Freshmen or Sophomores with stats ranked in the top 50 based on passing efficiency (Sims is #79):
1636032860015.png

1636032912010.png

kalld12

Banned

Thank you for speaking facts!

I will refrain from anymore comments on this subject! Back to recruiting

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Here are 16 QBs that are Freshmen or Sophomores with stats ranked in the top 50 based on passing efficiency (Sims is #79):
View attachment 11534
View attachment 11535
Interesting that you put all these 16 stats up but didn't include Sims's for comparison. I'll assume that was an oversight.

Let's break down your list. 16

Players with 3+ years in the program 8 (i.e. Covid Sophomore or RS Sophomore or Covid RS Sophomore): Daniel Richardson, Kaleb Eleby, Jaren Hall, Grason McCall, Sam Hartman, K.J. Jefferson, Devin Leary, Spencer Rattler. (some of these kids are in their 4th year in the program)

16 - 8 = 8; So half of your list weren't 1st or 2nd-year players.

Top25 teams 3: Caleb Williams, OKLAHOMA (#2 ranked QB, #7 overall), C. J. Stroud OHIO STATE (#2 ranked QB, #42 overall), Bryce Young ALABAMA (#1 QB, #2 overall).
Just for comparison Jeff Sims (#10 QB, #223 overall)

8 - 3 = 5; Do we need to talk about playing behind the OL's at these three schools or the other support they get?

So, you came up with 5 Fr/So that had better statistics than Jeff Sims. That's what I asked for. Wait...I said statistics, not just passing statistics. Let's look at all the numbers

QBAttCompComp%YardsTDINTSacksRushRush TD
Sims1509257.2127411683804
Van Dyke16110262.6148812417311
Nolan16810763.7150419982060
Johnson26416261.4200920518-30
De Laura25116063.719671777782
Henigan22713860.8215316413470

Looking at these stats, an argument could be made that you haven't provided 5 1st or 2nd year QB's with better overall stats. Also, Henigan is playing against G5 defenses most every week.

Nolan (#1 QB, #29 overall), Van Dyke (#7 QB, #222 overall), Johnson (#10 QB, #253 overall), de Laura (#16 QB, #462 overall); Henigan (#78 QB, #1203 overall)

But let's not lose sight of the conversation. Sims is young and is making young mistakes. He's improving and I expect continued improvement as he gets older and more experienced. He's not the best, but he's not supposed to be the best. At least 5 of the 8 legitimate 1st or 2nd year QB's on this list were supposed to be "better" than him. Looking at his stats, I'd say he's done better than his #10 ranking.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
When you have mods that consistently misspell your starting QBs name it’s not a good sign. Can’t wait for Jordan Yaates to get some game time. And maybe next year Zachh Pyroon will play some

kalld12

Banned
Don't recycle my response without recycling other responses. Better yet, move it to a different thread if you want. I'm tired of GT fans crapping on our players when the numbers don't prove out.
LOL. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if you fail to see that turnovers are contributing to us struggling to win games then I cant help you. Yeah our D stinks, but we need a QB who takes care of the ball. Whether that's Sims or Yates idc, i'm tired of seeing us throw pick 6's and balls into triple coverage.

Ya'll obviously have more patience and hope than I.