Jeff Sims, Zach Quinney, Jordan Domineck...

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
win ACC player of the week honors. Did I give you a heart attack?

CO-OFFENSIVE LINEMAN – Zach Quinney, Georgia Tech, Jr., LT, Savannah, Ga.
Quinney helped pave the way for Georgia Tech to rush for 377 yards in Tech’s 56-33 win over Duke • The Yellow Jackets had their highest rushing- and total-yardage (523 yards) outputs since 2018 at North Carolina • Behind the Quinney-led offensive front, Georgia Tech had three players with at least 90 rushing yards (Jeff Sims – 108, Jordan Mason – 105 and Jahmyr Gibbs – 91) and four with at least 60 yards on the ground (including Dontae Smith – 60) • Quinney delivered key blocks on each of the Yellow Jackets’ four touchdown runs, all of which went for 20 yards or more (61 and 22 yards by Gibbs and 36 and 22 yards by Smith).

DEFENSIVE LINEMAN – Jordan Domineck, Georgia Tech, So., DE, Lakeland, Fla.
Domineck stuffed the stat sheet with two sacks, 2.5 tackles for loss, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery and his first career touchdown in Georgia Tech’s 56-33 win over Duke • Helped lead a defensive effort that limited Duke to just 68 rushing yards • His two sacks and 2.5 TFL were both career highs • Made arguably the biggest play of the game when he sacked Duke QB Chase Brice in the end zone, forcing a fumble that he recovered for a touchdown that gave Georgia Tech a 28-23 lead late in the first half • Domineck was also credited with a QB hurry in the win.

ROOKIE – Jeff Sims, Georgia Tech, Fr., QB, Jacksonville, Fla.
Sims rushed for 108 yards and threw for three touchdowns to help lead Georgia Tech to its highest offensive output in more than two years in a 56-33 win over Duke • Became only the ninth FBS player this season and the first freshman (true or redshirt) to rush for 100 yards and pass for three touchdowns in a game this season • His 108 rushing yards and three touchdowns were both career highs and came on just 12 carries (9.0 avg.) • 107 of his 108 rushing yards and two of his three touchdown passes came in the second half, as the Yellow Jackets stretched their two-point halftime lead (28-26) into the decisive 23-point victory.

Deleted member 2897

You failed rule 1 of section 3, paragraph 4, article 5 - "A thread title containing the name of 1 or more players must include the following phrase in order to not be in violation of site rules, where X is the players name: 'A post about X, who is not injured, in trouble, facing any discipline issue, does not have COVID, is not transferring, is not held out of practice, and about whom there are no negative rumors'..." Punishment for violating this rule can be anywhere from a warning to public flogging depending on the mood of the moderators.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Did I give you a heart attack?

No, of course not ...

iky.gif

Deleted member 2897

So we all know about the strip sack and defensive TD, but watch this effort play. To isolate on Domineck, focus on the far right of the screen where he runs in, initially behind the play. That's a 45 yard downfield tackle by the far side DE.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So we all know about the strip sack and defensive TD, but watch this effort play. To isolate on Domineck, focus on the far right of the screen where he runs in, initially behind the play. That's a 45 yard downfield tackle by the far side DE.

He was also the guy furthest away from the ball at one point. That's a good illustration of why coaches say play to the whistle and hustle to the ball. That play will show up in a LOT of scouting tapes. Domineck is making himself a LOT of money this year by playing DE.

Damn! He's fast!
Looking at #42 Run that guy down at his size - I wonder could we teach him to be a sideline to sideline , heat-seeking, MLB

That kind of athleticism at MLB would provide a lot of added value on most downs for a Team like ours

It seems like we move guys on Defense to positions where we haven't recruited well instead of building our Defense inside out

Can't coach size & speed, teach #42 to play MLB and we might be on to something, a Luke Keuchly (sp?) type for our Defense

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Looking at #42 Run that guy down at his size - I wonder could we teach him to be a sideline to sideline , heat-seeking, MLB

That kind of athleticism at MLB would provide a lot of added value on most downs for a Team like ours

It seems like we move guys on Defense to positions where we haven't recruited well instead of building our Defense inside out

Can't coach size & speed, teach #42 to play MLB and we might be on to something, a Luke Keuchly (sp?) type for our Defense
That's the very reason that I saw potential MLB in Grey Carroll.

Not just fast, but effort. 18 Allen/39 Walker are both DBs that he ran by on the way. Also great hustle by 3/Tre. If not for Tre and Domineck going out of their way from the far side to stay engaged, Duke would have scored on that play.
What do you expect?

CGC has him playing in an "effort based 4-2-5 Defense", get that?

Effort based........ have a drink of jooosh!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Also:
That's the very reason that I saw potential MLB in Grey Carroll.

It's not just about being fast and running to the ball...it's also about playing in space, the ability to read the play and diagnose before/after the snap, ability to cover the TE or RB and even the WR in certain instances. It's a different skillset playing DE and LB even Domenick has the speed to play LB. There wasn't much of his recruiting tape that showed that, and he hasn't been asked to do that on this level.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Also:

It's not just about being fast and running to the ball...it's also about playing in space, the ability to read the play and diagnose before/after the snap, ability to cover the TE or RB and even the WR in certain instances. It's a different skillset playing DE and LB even Domenick has the speed to play LB. There wasn't much of his recruiting tape that showed that, and he hasn't been asked to do that on this level.
That's close to my statement about Grey C. I saw his film and uncanny ability to read gaps before they formed. That lead me to conclude he has great vision with a high football IQ.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
He has responded well to Marco Coleman as a teacher. You don't have to be around Marco long to understand why that is a big piece of his skillset.