Jeff Sims Reset?

CPJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Given the turnaround that CBK has started and the immediate difference TPO's removal has made on the team, I find it impossible to hold Sim's past against him. As far as I'm concerned, it's a clean slate and he's starting fresh.

Sims has all the physical tools - massive arm, great speed, great size. My hope is that he receives the proper structure and training to be successful. He seems like a good kid and GT's success is directly tied to his success.
That is where I'm trending. I'm trying to forget or discount what I've seen, thus the purpose for the post. We have the opportunity to really flip the script. My hope is that the more success he experiences, the more confidence he plays with and we can consistently see why he was a 4-star QB.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He sure has all the hype and has ever since he got here. After 2 1/2 years as a starter, it's time to show it. He has shown ability to be great at times. I saw two good ones Saturday night at the Duke UNC game.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Here are the stat lines from the Duke game:

C/ATTYDSAVGTDINTQBR
Jeff Sims23/342276.72047
Riley Leonard20/411363.31149

Okay, here's something I don't get at all. Why is Leonard's QB rating higher than Sims' rating for the Duke game? It doesn't make any sense to me. Sims completed over 2/3 of his passes and Leonard less than half. Sims had 2 TDs to Leonard's 1 and no interceptions to Leonard's 1 int. Sims threw for nearly twice the yardage. Yet Leonard had a QB rating higher than Sims. Is that rating accurate?
QBR is a fairly complicated stat.
ESPN's Total Quarterback Rating is a proprietary statistic that was introduced in 2011 and is designed to measure the total effectiveness and performance of a quarterback. The metric takes into account all of a quarterback's contribution to a game, including passing, rushing, sacks, penalties, touchdowns, and turnovers.[12] Moreover, each play is weighted based on its "difficulty", the context of the game, and the strength of the opposing defense
In regular passer rating Sims was rated much higher.

Mattmc10

Jolly Good Fellow
Something changed in Sims halfway through the Pitt game. For the first time in a while he believed he could win. The report of him yelling up and down the sideline before the last drive in that game was welcome news. His whole demeanor has changed. For Duke he came out and ran over a guy. We’ve all wanted that mentality from such a physically gifted athlete.
Sims has been beaten up physically and mentally over the past 2.5 years. He’s figuring out how to win.
If there was a better qb on the roster then after two OCs and now two HCs that guy would be playing.
Someone said it before and I totally agree with them, I’m not holding anything in the past against him. GIF C****** seemed to hold the whole team down. Let’s see what Sims can do now that he believes and those around him believe too.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Given the turnaround that CBK has started and the immediate difference TPO's removal has made on the team, I find it impossible to hold Sim's past against him. As far as I'm concerned, it's a clean slate and he's starting fresh.

Sims has all the physical tools - massive arm, great speed, great size. My hope is that he receives the proper structure and training to be successful. He seems like a good kid and GT's success is directly tied to his success.
I do not disagree, but, then again, his best game by QBR was UCF, not Duke and especially not Pitt.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the explanation... that’s all fine and dandy but given this sample set, I think it may be flawed.
:unsure:
The only thing I can think of is that they think our defense is that much better than Duke's somehow. Just seems waayy off to me. Makes me think QB rating is a flawed and bogus stat. Somebody needs to go back to the drawing board if they think Leonard outperformed Sims in that game, either by eyeball assessment or stats. Just nonsensical. It's not even close.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The only thing I can think of is that they think our defense is that much better than Duke's somehow. Just seems waayy off to me. Makes me think QB rating is a flawed and bogus stat. Somebody needs to go back to the drawing board if they think Leonard outperformed Sims in that game, either by eyeball assessment or stats. Just nonsensical. It's not even close.
He didn't outplay Sims in our game but he was darn good against UNC including a 74 yard touchdown run. He is hitting around 60% of his passes. My point was that he was good in Saturdays game against UNC and so was Maye. Anxious to see if we can handle Maye. Duke rushed 3 and went coverage-mostly man. Maye burned them with runs when he broke contain and DB's were in coverage. We will need to pressure him.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
He didn't outplay Sims in our game but he was darn good against UNC including a 74 yard touchdown run. He is hitting around 60% of his passes. My point was that he was good in Saturdays game against UNC and so was Maye. Anxious to see if we can handle Maye. Duke rushed 3 and went coverage-mostly man. Maye burned them with runs when he broke contain and DB's were in coverage. We will need to pressure him.
I agree Leonard was good against UNC and has been good all year, except in our game (credit our defense).
If that QB assessment was for his performance vs. Sims just for the Duke/GT game, I still don't get it. Sims was literally better in every category, rushing and passing. By a lot.

UNC is all offense and no defense.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
My gripes on Sims has been 2 things since the start of his career:
- he does not drive his feet into his throws enough, meaning he throws the ball too much off of his back foot or flat footed. He gets away with it sometimes because of his natural arm strength. But this is the reason for his inaccuracy and inconsistency. You’ll notice a lot of overthrows and throws behind the receiver because he’s not stepping into the throw enough. So he will tend to sail the ball over the receiver or not get it there on time. I was hoping after pat left and wienke came in, they would work on his mechanics. It seems it may have gotten a little better but I haven’t noticed a drastic difference yet.
- the other issue is him running the ball so soft, I could have pulled my hair out with how many times he would pull up and run out of bounds 2-3 yards short of a 1st down on 3rd and 4th down plays. It was clear that he did not want contact and would not give himself for the extra yard. I’m sure it was an eye opener for him to see Dart for Ole miss run over our defender when they were already up by like 30 points. That’s how you run hard and with fire for your team.

With that said, that has changed since Collins left and I’m wondering if key told him you better run hard or we’ll find someone else who will. Either way it’s been great to see the last 2 games.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Sims vs Leonard isn't nearly the most hilarious QBR discrepancy:
Further controversy erupted when the Total QBR system gave the Denver Broncos' Tim Tebow a higher rating than the Green Bay Packers' Aaron Rodgers in their respective Week 5 contests in 2011. Noting that Rodgers completed 26 of 39 passes for 396 yards and two touchdowns in a win over the Atlanta Falcons, while Tebow completed four of 10 passes for 79 yards and a touchdown, and six rushes for 38 yards and a touchdown, in a loss to the San Diego Chargers.
The system was tweaked a few times after that. The complexity of the system leaves open the possibility weird results sometimes. Taking less sacks, not fumbling, performing better in "harder" situations, pressure on the QB, opposing defense strength, throwing longer passes in the air without many RAC yards, all affect these ratings.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Do you really think that ESPN would come up with an unpublished algorithm for a stat and publish it on their website with the intention of creating controversy and driving sports fans to talk about how wrong it is and flock to their website and TV programs to see what it is quantifying/predicting? I don't think they would ever do anything like that. ;)