Jeff Sims - Not practicing with team - in rehab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Vague rules or rules that don't permit honest dialogue are the norm today. Offending people has become very easy to do since most people under 45 tend to be cry babies and are offended by almost everything. Words can sting but last i checked they didn't change life. Having a strong will and standing for your beliefs should be celebrated. If u can't say f the naysayers that is on you.
Weirdly, my take on people today is the exact opposite of yours. I grew up being taught manners and civil discourse. I think we are descending into crude, brash and offensive interchanges in which minds are not changed and hostility grows.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Vague rules or rules that don't permit honest dialogue are the norm today. Offending people has become very easy to do since most people under 45 tend to be cry babies and are offended by almost everything. Words can sting but last i checked they didn't change life. Having a strong will and standing for your beliefs should be celebrated. If u can't say f the naysayers that is on you.
You keep telling yourself that it’s not you being offensive if that’s what helps you sleep at night.

As for the players, they don’t need our protection from harsh words and opinions. it’s not a good look for GT fans to be demeaning (very different than being honestly critical).

I think the mods have made it pretty clear that you can be critical. You can’t be a demeaning jerk. There’s an obvious difference and if you can’t tell which is which then you’re trying not to. PS the “you” in this paragraph is meant to be generic.

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
You keep telling yourself that it’s not you being offensive if that’s what helps you sleep at night.

As for the players, they don’t need our protection from harsh words and opinions. it’s not a good look for GT fans to be demeaning (very different than being honestly critical).

I think the mods have made it pretty clear that you can be critical. You can’t be a demeaning jerk. There’s an obvious difference and if you can’t tell which is which then you’re trying not to. PS the “you” in this paragraph is meant to be generic.
Some folks are just too obtuse to understand.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I think maybe the only thing he improved at was learning how to occasionally finish a run for an extra yard.
I will say that his ints/attempt was way down this year and has improved each year. To me, that implies that at least his decision making in the passing game has improved each year.

ScGold

Banned
But he is still on the roster. He is still a part of this team. If he was gone, his name would be scrapped from the roster and his name in the portal.
I would say he is unofficially gone then. He won't be on tbe roster when spring starts.

ScGold

Banned

Ok

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
i have no problem if he's hurt and cant play. thats fine. but dont dress and then be unavailable. if hes hurt bad enough to not play, he should be in street clothes. not pads. thats on him as much as its on the coaches.
Says who? You?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Says who? You?
If he’s hurt bad enough that he can’t go, or doesn’t think he can go even in an emergency situation, he shouldn’t be in pads. That should just be common sense. If he wasn’t wearing pads on Saturday this whole scenario would’ve never happened. Obviously there was a big miscommunication between Jeff and the coaching staff about what he had the capacity to do.

If the coaches wanted him to dress out just to use him as a pawn to make Miami think he might play, and therefore have to prepare for him, that’s ****ty on them. If Jeff told the coaches during practice he was good to go, and then refused to go in the game when called upon, that’s ****ty on him. At this point I think Jeff Sims himself is the only one who can tell you which one of those scenarios played out last week.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I am not going to blame anyone specific and definitely not going to disparage a student athlete.

My question is wasn't it shared in the media reports that Sims was a full go and practiced without any restrictions last week? If so, was there an aggravation to the injury during practice or were we misled to the extent he was allowed to practice or play.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Weirdly, my take on people today is the exact opposite of yours. I grew up being taught manners and civil discourse. I think we are descending into crude, brash and offensive interchanges in which minds are not changed and hostility grows.
I hate to say this, but their minds weren't changed by civil discourse either.

Oth, I agree that, aside from the always necessary strong interchanges when people are making donkeys of themselves, it is best to keep to the data and arguments made from it or to ethical philosophy and arguments made from that. Problem = a lot of people think that when you make an argument with more than 2 steps you are trying to deceive them. Especially when they don't agree with the conclusions drawn from the argument. Education helps with this, but there are limits even there. Educated people tend to be more ideological, for instance.

I think the bottom line here is whether you are a gentleman or not. If you are, then everything else follows including the willingness to accept defeat and make the best of it. If you aren't then no amount of civil discourse will help much. As I sometimes say to such people, "Who raised you? Wolves?"

slugboy

Staff member
I am not going to blame anyone specific and definitely not going to disparage a student athlete.

My question is wasn't it shared in the media reports that Sims was a full go and practiced without any restrictions last week? If so, was there an aggravation to the injury during practice or were we misled to the extent he was allowed to practice or play.
I think the only information that I know of that came out officially was
  • Sims did suffer a "lower leg" injury in the UVA game
  • He could not start the next game (and was upset he couldn't go back in against UVA)
  • He was dressed and announced available "only in emergency situations" in the Miami game
  • Pyron went out in the Miami game and Gibson went in instead of Sims or Taisun
We do have claims that Sims was asked/told to go in and didn't by people who said they saw it. That's what we have.

I have my guesses, and I'm sure you do, too.

I hate to say this, but their minds weren't changed by civil discourse either.

Oth, I agree that, aside from the always necessary strong interchanges when people are making donkeys of themselves, it is best to keep to the data and arguments made from it or to ethical philosophy and arguments made from that. Problem = a lot of people think that when you make an argument with more than 2 steps you are trying to deceive them. Especially when they don't agree with the conclusions drawn from the argument. Education helps with this, but there are limits even there. Educated people tend to be more ideological, for instance.

I think the bottom line here is whether you are a gentleman or not. If you are, then everything else follows including the willingness to accept defeat and make the best of it. If you aren't then no amount of civil discourse will help much. As I sometimes say to such people, "Who raised you? Wolves?"

I think wolves get a bad rap. They'll nip you when you get out of line. They're pretty badly behaved, though.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Is Sims playing? Yes or no? No. /thread

We can reopen this thread if there are any new and confirmed news. Until then all I see is a bunch of fan speculation that I can't possibly imagine will find an acceptable end.

Personally, I don't see much value in putting down one of our own student athlete that's been injured. If you want to review/critique a particular set of plays or bring some stats to compare/contrast, that would be one thing. If all you have to add to this conversation is that so-and-so sucks and your agenda is to prove or convince others of the same by brute-force, please try finding a better use of your time and maybe even another community to participate in.

Status
Not open for further replies.