Jeff Sims' First Collegiate Game

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
It can’t be said enough how great this must feel for 10. Passed up by Norvell only to beat him in his own stadium. A local kid from Duval (Jax) with so many friends on the other side of the field. To beat them there, in the place where he was originally recruited to play, only to stick the dagger in late. It’s beautiful. Go Jackets.

Nesbitt, Cooper Taylor, Rashad Reid,Austin twins, those with instagram, let them know. GT Owns the Noles!

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Sims is the guy, it’s obvious. Really good performance for your first game in college as a true freshman!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
What impressed me the most were the different types of passes he made. Very situationally aware. Some passes were frozen ropes with extra mustard while others were floated in - even experienced quarterbacks have trouble getting that right.
The throw to Ezzard down the sideline in the 2Q was by far the best throw he made, IMO. Ezzard was one of his last progressions, and with the pocket collapsing, he got it over the DL Robinson who had dropped into coverage and led Ezzard down the field instead of to the sideline so that he could get big yards after the catch. Didn’t turn into any points (blocked FG) but that was one of the few big yardage plays Tech had, and it came off a pass that not many Tech QBs could have made as of late.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
watching the game with my oldest son, his comment was that it seems like a lifetime for him(he's 33 fwiw) since he has seen a GT QB make the easy throws actually look easy. He was talking about Joe H and Goose, who he remembers watching as a child. I think his comment sums things up pretty well.

Not being mentioned but I also liked our receivers and the fact that they were getting open consistently. That has been a scarce sight as well.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
High expectations, but he exceeded them

-he snapped off quick passes consistently and accurately, which neutralized FSU’s pressure and helped our OLine (which played well, but a bad QB could’ve made them look bad and the conversation may have been different)

-played with elite poise considering the early mistakes

-made a variety of throws. Crossers, seams, outs, slants, stops. Narrowly missed a post to Malachi but was on time with it. Interested to see him connect on some deep balls. I don’t think it’s time to worry, HS film says not to, just want to see it.

-ran with confidence and held on to the ball. Ran with speed and elusiveness and made some clutch plays. As he physically matures, watch out

-I think we got a gamer on our hands. Like said before his mistakes could’ve hurt us worse than they did and the conversation could be different, but he did A LOT more good than bad and got us that W!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
-I think we got a gamer on our hands. Like said before his mistakes could’ve hurt us worse than they did and the conversation could be different, but he did A LOT more good than bad and got us that W!

People whose opinions are swayed solely by the outcome are emotional and, while they are prone to venting loud and often, generally not given a lot of credence here or elsewhere. Could we have lost yesterday? Yes, the margin was razor thin. But that does not change anything about how Jeff played in his first college FB game. IMO.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
FWIW, I grew up casually watching football. Didn’t become a huge fan until about 16. I’m 28 now. I briefly remember the Reggie ball era, but unfortunately remember him only from the uga loss when he threw it away on 4th down.

so for me, I have never seen a QB like Sims. Ever. Weird and hard to imagine.

oh my goodness. You have had a tragic life as a GT fan. This is going to ruin you for life if things play out as we expect. Once you expect QB's to complete 60% or more of their passes then you won't ever be satisfied with anything else again. ;)

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Pardon the comparison, if you don’t care for them or think they are unfair.....
I kept thinking of a future Mike Kelley with legs. It’s that pocket presence, not afraid to stay in and make the throws despite knowing a hit is forthcoming. Very composed for a true Freshman with 4 more years, if he wants them all.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I kept thinking of a future Mike Kelley with legs. It’s that pocket presence, not afraid to stay in and make the throws despite knowing a hit is forthcoming. Very composed for a true Freshman with 4 more years, if he wants them all.

A good analogy. Mike played on teams without a lot of talent or wins so his name doesn't get tossed around a lot here but he did have the physical tools to be an NFL draft pick (6th round, Falcons) as a QB, which isn't a common trait for Tech QB's as we all know.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
People whose opinions are swayed solely by the outcome are emotional and, while they are prone to venting loud and often, generally not given a lot of credence here or elsewhere. Could we have lost yesterday? Yes, the margin was razor thin. But that does not change anything about how Jeff played in his first college FB game. IMO.

Well put. And just to be clear, I’m not implying that I would be the starter of those negative conversations, just saying that they would be prevalent on here.

IMO, win or lose yesterday there was a lot of growth throughout the team from last year to this year. And win or lose Jeff sims showed why he won the job. Can’t wait to see him continue to develop

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Be careful you are starting to let people know your age.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Well put. And just to be clear, I’m not implying that I would be the starter of those negative conversations, just saying that they would be prevalent on here.

And to be clear, I was not thinking that about you either. Your post was too intelligent and well articulated for you to be one of those type posters. ;) :)