Jeff Schultz Column

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Really great article. I found the parts about his childhood really interesting, doesn't sound like it was easy. But he made the best of it. I'm really amazed by his motivation and drive, I wish I could siphon off a part of it.

Also, I don't know if he was being facetious, but that news from the doctor must have been scary. I knew he looked slimmer now compared to his Temple pics, but it's awesome he's gotten his overall health under control. Again, the self-motivation for that is great.

herb

Helluva Engineer
Really great article. I found the parts about his childhood really interesting, doesn't sound like it was easy. But he made the best of it. I'm really amazed by his motivation and drive, I wish I could siphon off a part of it.

Also, I don't know if he was being facetious, but that news from the doctor must have been scary. I knew he looked slimmer now compared to his Temple pics, but it's awesome he's gotten his overall health under control. Again, the self-motivation for that is great.

Maybe Lew got to him with the good lighting and baby oil ;)

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
Is there any way to read the article without subscribing? I have no interest in subscribing to anything else other than what I already do.

I haven't found a way around their pay wall or app. But I'm not a computer guy either, so....

Regarding the Athletic subscription, I found it worth the $30 I paid for an annual membership. But not for the GT articles. The GT beat writer does a good job, but she is a Dawg grad. Imagine that. If you only read GT related stuff, I wouldnt waste the $30.

However, I read a lot of Braves/Falcons/Hawks/United stuff too so that's where I found value.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Is there any way to read the article without subscribing? I have no interest in subscribing to anything else other than what I already do.
You can download the app, search for Jeff Schultz as the author and read it. You get some limited number of free articles a month. Just reading what's posted on this board I have been able to read all of those articles.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I haven't found a way around their pay wall or app. But I'm not a computer guy either, so....

Regarding the Athletic subscription, I found it worth the $30 I paid for an annual membership. But not for the GT articles. The GT beat writer does a good job, but she is a Dawg grad. Imagine that. If you only read GT related stuff, I wouldnt waste the $30.

However, I read a lot of Braves/Falcons/Hawks/United stuff too so that's where I found value.
I read her latest article (using my free introductory offer) and found it repeating many of the myths associated with the former staff. It did not make me want to shell out the dough for a subscription.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
...Regarding the Athletic subscription...the GT beat writer does a good job, but she is a Dawg grad. Imagine that. If you only read GT related stuff, I wouldnt waste the $30. However, I read a lot of Braves/Falcons/Hawks/United stuff too so that's where I found value.

I think Tori does an excellent job of covering us as a beat writer. I don't care where she graduated from; a good job should be noted and applauded. And I contend that the Tech coverage is worth the $30 a year. Unlike the UAC they aren't asking us to pay a fee and pushing ads in our faces. I pretty regularly pay a lot more for a lot less value to be sure. And I can do with giving up one bottle of Monkey Shoulder a year (or one trip to the movies with the bride) to have decent Tech reporting. Let's reward the behavior we want to see continue and not steal from them, eh?

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I read her latest article (using my free introductory offer) and found it repeating many of the myths associated with the former staff. It did not make me want to shell out the dough for a subscription.
Myths or truths you don’t want to hear? She’s writing what people are telling her.

slugboy

Staff member
It’s not the lifting that’s changed. It’s nutrition and “supplements.”

Yeah, nutrition has changed. “Supplements” have been around for longer than any of us. Testing has evolved a good bit

But lifting has changed a lot. I never saw a kettlebell as a teenager. We did squats and bench and simpler motions. Now, it’s come around to compound motions. Technique is taught much better now than even 20 years ago. My coaches said “go do three sets of ten of these”, and didn’t know what they were doing. They never heard of a banded Romanian dead lift, and God help us if we were supposed to do one correctly.

Today’s coaches are miles ahead. I don’t think it’s even close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk