JAYBO SHAW

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t see this anywhere else.

Former Yellow Jacket quarterback Jaybo Shaw will be leaving Rabun County High School after 10 years as head coach and accepting the head coaching position at Wayne County High School (Jesup, Ga) a school that has more than twice the enrollment and a history of producing some solid football talent. It was perhaps the perfect time for the former Paul Johnson option quarterback to leave since his star quarterback at Rabun County, Gunner Stockton, is a senior and will be going to UGA in the fall. Stockton was named the top player in the state by the Atlanta Touchdown Club.

The father / son team of Lee and Jaybo Shaw coached back to back at RCHS and compiled a record of 105-22. Jaybo Shaw, as a head coach, took his team to state playoffs 6 times. Prior to head coaching at RCHS, Shaw was a graduate assistant under Monken at Georgia Southern.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t see this anywhere else.

Former Yellow Jacket quarterback Jaybo Shaw will be leaving Rabun County High School after 10 years as head coach and accepting the head coaching position at Wayne County High School (Jesup, Ga) a school that has more than twice the enrollment and a history of producing some solid football talent. It was perhaps the perfect time for the former Paul Johnson option quarterback to leave since his star quarterback at Rabun County, Gunner Stockton, is a senior and will be going to UGA in the fall. Stockton was named the top player in the state by the Atlanta Touchdown Club.

The father / son team of Lee and Jaybo Shaw coached back to back at RCHS and compiled a record of 105-22. Jaybo Shaw, as a head coach, took his team to state playoffs 6 times. Prior to head coaching at RCHS, Shaw was a graduate assistant under Monken at Georgia Southern.
Ah, HAH! That explains it.

I watched the East-West high school game this weekend and, when Stockton was in the field, I knew I was watching a guy Paul would have pulled out every stop to get to Tech. It was like watching Tim Byerley again; he didn't look like he was doing much, then, all of a sudden, he was running 40 yards for a TD. Too bad he's off for Ugag; I doubt that he'll be given a chance to start there. Doesn't have the super arm or that break-neck speed they look for. But … neither does Bennett, so maybe he'll start for them one of these days. If not, we can see if he'll transfer to Tech.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Bennett was never going to transfer even if he was the water boy or in charge of the clip board.
Really good players don't stay long if they don't start right away or get lots of PT. Maybe he does start but Daniels may stick around and would be hard to beat out. (I assume Daniels has at least another year).

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Bennett was never going to transfer even if he was the water boy or in charge of the clip board.
Really good players don't stay long if they don't start right away or get lots of PT. Maybe he does start but Daniels may stick around and would be hard to beat out. (I assume Daniels has at least another year).
Huh? Bennett transferred out and then transferred back. I don't understand your comment.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Huh? Bennett transferred out and then transferred back. I don't understand your comment.
Forgot he went JC for a year. Little different situation. He came back to same school which is rare and that may have been his plan all along. He was a walk on that hung with his dream school. I was surprised he did as well as he did in such a big game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Ah, HAH! That explains it.

I watched the East-West high school game this weekend and, when Stockton was in the field, I knew I was watching a guy Paul would have pulled out every stop to get to Tech. It was like watching Tim Byerley again; he didn't look like he was doing much, then, all of a sudden, he was running 40 yards for a TD. Too bad he's off for Ugag; I doubt that he'll be given a chance to start there. Doesn't have the super arm or that break-neck speed they look for. But … neither does Bennett, so maybe he'll start for them one of these days. If not, we can see if he'll transfer to Tech.
Exactly. People were all goo-goo gah-gah over him and I never understood it because everyone wants a “pro style” quarterback and he definitely is a Monken, Johnson, Shaw type QB. A very good field leader and a great kid with lots of gifts but surprised Georgia wanted him.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So how does Jaybo feel about Tech now?
Someone else will have to answer that. In our local weekly newspaper he seems happy to be referred to as a former Tech player and protege of Johnson. The line given up here is that he left Tech to follow Monken at Georgia Southern.

But I have no inside knowledge.

Leaving Rabun County where he and his family are adored is a little surprising. The rationale given up here is two fold. He will have better raw athletic skill to work with. Ware County plays in a district that is a pipeline for Georgia Southern. But he will still be in single classification though a much bigger school.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The quintessenial Jaybo Shaw play:

Now, that, sports fans, is how to time a pitch. Jaybo may not have been the most physically talented QB we ever had - Nesbitt deserved to start all those years - but he knew how to run the option and wasn't afraid to give himself up to make a play work. I love this clip.

1976jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Someone else will have to answer that. In our local weekly newspaper he seems happy to be referred to as a former Tech player and protege of Johnson. The line given up here is that he left Tech to follow Monken at Georgia Southern.

But I have no inside knowledge.

Leaving Rabun County where he and his family are adored is a little surprising. The rationale given up here is two fold. He will have better raw athletic skill to work with. Ware County plays in a district that is a pipeline for Georgia Southern. But he will still be in single classification though a much bigger school.
It’s Wayne County(Jesup); not Ware County(Waycross). We have fell off a cliff here in Jesup; the first winless season I think we have ever had. Search committee had one on there who played high school ball way back and is a good Georgia Southern grad for a long time. Discipline became a problem.
I just wonder how long he will be here.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It’s Wayne County(Jesup); not Ware County(Waycross). We have fell off a cliff here in Jesup; the first winless season I think we have ever had. Search committee had one on there who played high school ball way back and is a good Georgia Southern grad for a long time. Discipline became a problem.
I just wonder how long he will be here.
Yes, I knew that it was Wayne County. I used to live there. I slipped up because my wife keeps referring to it as Ware County, where I have also lived.

I remember when Waycross High and Jesup were big rivals.