Jay Jones Transferring

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
From being around players (college & pro)
All the above

Tack on "who the son of" & "this booster contributes so look out", politics of college sports and yeah.
It's a pretty well known phenomenon in pro baseball. Scouts and front office stake their rep on a guy, pay out a huge signing bonus and that guy is promoted. It can often result in a guy being promoted above his level. From a behavioral econ perspective, it's clearly promoting a sunk cost.

The same would apply to college coaches who have made commitments to players (however soft/implied) or representations to the staff.

It's funny to me that there are threads about FIRE Coach X! where fallibility is a given. But that's somehow out of bounds when we talk about a kid like Jay (until he's Jemea and one coach overrules).

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Was randomly reminded of Jay Jones, and decided to look him up. After he was on Last Chance U, he was apparently in contact with CGC and the new staff to talk about coming back to Tech. I guess it didn't work out:

Didn’t he trash Tech on the show? Cant remember what was said exactly, but seem to remember he did. Interesting he tried to come back after that.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
Best story about this kid. His freshman year he was working with the OL and Coach Cook tells him to get in and run a certain set of plays. He straight up refuses to. Everyone looks at him like "Wtf...?" And he says "coach I can't go in, I'm taking mental reps only today". His nickname became "mental rep" and he never ever got out of coach cooks ****list (rightly so).

no chance JJ contributes meaningfully above JuCo

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t he trash Tech on the show? Cant remember what was said exactly, but seem to remember he did. Interesting he tried to come back after that.
He was trashing CPJ, he basically said the same things Collins did just not as PR speak. So actually doesn't surprise me.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He wasn't very good on the Netflix show and wasn't the starter there either. Been a while since I watched it but they gave him a chance to play and he didn't perform in that offense . Seem to remember that he left before the end of the season. I was actually hoping he would do well and get a second chance somewhere. That show really opened my eyes to what goes on at some of those JUCO programs.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Best story about this kid. His freshman year he was working with the OL and Coach Cook tells him to get in and run a certain set of plays. He straight up refuses to. Everyone looks at him like "Wtf...?" And he says "coach I can't go in, I'm taking mental reps only today". His nickname became "mental rep" and he never ever got out of coach cooks ****list (rightly so).

Thanks for sharing. There’s so much that goes on like this that many people don’t hear about. Then you hear about the player saying things like the coaches just didn’t give him a fair shake. No, you did it to yourself.

Deleted member 2897

He was incredibly fast and shifty, but if you don’t know the playbook, you just can’t play. CPJ IIRC said something exciting happens every time JJ sets foot on the field - you just don’t know for which team.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

One of the reasons the Falcons and their new coaching staff was more than happy to trade Julio Jones away was his unwillingness to practice with the team. Their were whispers about this for a while after Julio got his big contract that his practice habits started to change to "prevent wear and tear on his body". Granted, he was still very productive (when he wasn't hurt), but there's also the component that the rest of the team was sweating and banging on the field with each other, and no one person should be above it.

On the college level, and you're not even a starter, and you refuse to take reps?! Wow...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
What the kid said on Netflix was that he was lied to by the staff because when he got to Tech they were running the 3O and that surprised him.

So the kid basically said he was a moron because who didn't know that Tech ran the 3O back then?
Well, in his meager defense, Johnson never referred to it as the triple option, but as the spread option. So he could be technically correct though just as obtuse. Makes one wonder how he got into Ga. Tech.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Well, in his meager defense, Johnson never referred to it as the triple option, but as the spread option. So he could be technically correct though just as obtuse. Makes one wonder how he got into Ga. Tech.
So he never watched a game on TV or went to a game in the stadium or talked to another qb on the team before he committed? Yeah he's a moron.

Jordan "Jay" Jones, QB​

Jones' season at ICC didn't work out as planned as Coach Brown brought in Henry midway through the season. The end of "Last Chance U" said Jones was open changing positions and moving to receiver at the Division 1 level. It's not clear where Jones ended up in 2019 or where he stands currently.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I haven't seen the show, but in the video it shows a clip of a tweet from him claiming that CPJ falsely[sic] claimed that the 3 main starters before him (Justin Thomas, Tevin, Nesbit) had 2500 yards throwing in their careers (this is accurate) while throwing about 12 times a game. Jones then said that the stats were more like 500 yards throwing per starter. Needless to say, I don't think it was ever going to work out.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I haven't seen the show, but in the video it shows a clip of a tweet from him claiming that CPJ falsely[sic] claimed that the 3 main starters before him (Justin Thomas, Tevin, Nesbit) had 2500 yards throwing in their careers (this is accurate) while throwing about 12 times a game. Jones then said that the stats were more like 500 yards throwing per starter. Needless to say, I don't think it was ever going to work out.
If you were a QB who loved to chuck it deep, Johnson was your man. Ask Thomas.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
We started incorporating some back shoulder/stop route throws off the go route depending on the DB's positioning. JeT and Smelter were MONEY on those.

We actually had those before we used them a good bit with Washington as well. Nesbitt had a cannon but not really the touch to do that throw.