Jamie Foxx at GT

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
His breadth of work is remarkable. He goes from works like In Living Color and Booty Call to movies like Any Given Sunday, Django Unchained, and Project Power, to serious drama roles in Just Mercy and Ray. That is all in addition to the work he does as a stand up comedian and a musician. It is just insane how talented he is!!!

Has won a Grammy too. It's ridiculous when you lay out all he's done as an entertainer.

yellajacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
His breadth of work is remarkable. He goes from works like In Living Color and Booty Call to movies like Any Given Sunday, Django Unchained, and Project Power, to serious drama roles in Just Mercy and Ray. That is all in addition to the work he does as a stand up comedian and a musician. It is just insane how talented he is!!!

He's done just about everything but Broadway. With how successful he's been at everything else and his musical ability, he would probably be great at it.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I was listening to Joe Rogan and Dave Chapelle on Rogan's latest podcast. They were talking about mutual friends and how talented they are. They went on a rant about how talented Jamie Foxx is.

There's a reason why GT social media is making a big deal out of Foxx being at our facilities.
no disrespect to you, but what does Foxx being on the Tech campus do for Tech sports programs? Now, if he dropped a million on our Sports Dept. !!!!!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
no disrespect to you, but what does Foxx being on the Tech campus do for Tech sports programs? Now, if he dropped a million on our Sports Dept. !!!!!

Read the previous comments. If you understand the impact of social media in this day and age, you'll understand why Jamie Foxx being at GT and subsequently broadcasted over ESPN, Twitter, TickTok, etc. means a lot of exposure for GT across various platforms.

This isn't a knock on the "older" GT fans, but all this social media stuff is to attract the eyeballs of the younger generation (which I am no longer part of 😕), which means it gets recruits talking and thinking about GT. Whether you "understand" or someone else "understands" the hype around Jamie Foxx or any other celebrity that comes to GT and gets attention, it doesn't matter. All that matters is that recruits "understand" and the younger generation of fans GT desperately needs "understands".

It's free marketing for GT. In a way, you could say Foxx gave GT tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars in free GT advertisement.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Read the previous comments. If you understand the impact of social media in this day and age, you'll understand why Jamie Foxx being at GT and subsequently broadcasted over ESPN, Twitter, TickTok, etc. means a lot of exposure for GT across various platforms.

This isn't a knock on the "older" GT fans, but all this social media stuff is to attract the eyeballs of the younger generation (which I am no longer part of 😕), which means it gets recruits talking and thinking about GT. Whether you "understand" or someone else "understands" the hype around Jamie Foxx or any other celebrity that comes to GT and gets attention, it doesn't matter. All that matters is that recruits "understand" and the younger generation of fans GT desperately needs "understands".

It's free marketing for GT. In a way, you could say Foxx gave GT tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars in free GT advertisement.

I liked this and will do so again ....

(from my burner account ... don't tell the mods)

fart-in-elevator.gif

ETA: Seriously, what is so hard to understand about this?

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't forget he was Electro in Amazing Spider-man 2!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Some people won't get it unless you put some math and money behind it. Let's look at the two Twitter accounts I posted above. ESPN has 37 million followers. Bleacher Report has 9.6 million followers. That's just two of MANY accounts that posted Jamie Foxx's vidoes at GT. Twitter is just ONE of the MANY platforms that those videos were posted on. Now in terms of what that means, read this:

Now do the math on how much "free" advertisement GT got out of the Jamie Foxx visit when you take into account those videos were posted on Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, etc. Not only were they posted on those platforms, but they were posted by major accounts like ESPN, Bleacher Report, Sports Illustrated, etc. So you multiply that across the many social media platforms, count all the retweets and shares, and Jamie Fox certainly gave GT hundreds if not millions of dollars of free advertisement during his visit to GT.

So to the people that "don't get it", just get that GT got hundreds if not millions of dollars worth of advertisement for the cost of filming and editing video.

LibertyTurns

Banned
For reasons that are probably apparent to the rest of you by now I’ve never commented on movies before. Going back to my hole now. Appreciate the attempts at educating me on what’s cool.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
For reasons that are probably apparent to the rest of you by now I’ve never commented on movies before. Going back to my hole now. Appreciate the attempts at educating me on what’s cool.
Do yourself a favor later in the summer when you are jonesing hard for football and watch Any Given Sunday, its a classic!

LibertyTurns

Banned
Do yourself a favor later in the summer when you are jonesing hard for football and watch Any Given Sunday, its a classic!
There’s been a number of suggestions of movies to watch. I’ll wedge some in during trips when I’m not working or reading. I gotta get back on the road more now because inventory levels are plummeting & my suppliers just can’t keep up. You guys definitely got me interested in what all the fuss is about. I’m going to watch Ray as I grew up listening to his music, got a recommendation to watch Law Abiding Citizen, etc and now Any Given Sunday. I’d report back later but think it’s probably best to limit my commentary to my drinking buddies.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
There’s been a number of suggestions of movies to watch. I’ll wedge some in during trips when I’m not working or reading. I gotta get back on the road more now because inventory levels are plummeting & my suppliers just can’t keep up. You guys definitely got me interested in what all the fuss is about. I’m going to watch Ray as I grew up listening to his music, got a recommendation to watch Law Abiding Citizen, etc and now Any Given Sunday. I’d report back later but think it’s probably best to limit my commentary to my drinking buddies.
It's okay not to be clued into today's Entertainment industry. I too am "out of touch." I occasionally watch The Masked Singer (because I love singing shows) and I have no idea who 80% of the people on the panel are guessing the masked singers are. I feel hopelessly out of touch (and the celebrity panelists are in their 40's except for Ken Jeong who's in his 50's).

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Jamie Foxx was a HS quarterback. He's 2 years older than me, which means I almost guarantee his offense was either a Power-I or a Wishbone offense. Considering his schtick, I'm leaning towards the wishbone.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Forgot about law abiding citizen, great movie

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I’d report back later but think it’s probably best to limit my commentary to my drinking buddies.
Probably always a good idea, truth be told. I'm reminded of that every time I post an unpopular point of view online these days. We are living through the "New McCarthyism", where if you aren't part of the group who've declared themselves the bastions of all that's right and holy then you are apostate.

At least my drinking buddies don't call me names and claim I 'just don't get it' when they disagree with me. Okay, maybe the 'not calling me names' thing is a bit generous...unless they are drinking my whiskey and then they know better. :)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Just because your opinion is different from 'the group', doesn't mean the opinion can't also be wrong or ill-informed.

There are times when we all 'just don't get it' and our job is to educate ourselves on things we're unaware of. Or we can just surround ourselves with people who think like us and rail against everyone else.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
How the heck do we get here on a friggin thread about Jamie Foxx visiting campus? Some will always find a way to play the victim. Sheesh
I am not making this political. No one take this there.

I think the font was pretty much dead on. There is much more group attack nowadays than there used to be, regardless of your point of view or what side of any opinion you may hold. The adherence to groupthink and cancel culture crosses all lines (social and political), and anyone providing an adverse opinion to the general consensus better buckle up.

As for the current thread and where it went with Jamie Foxx, I think there was as much astonishment that @LibertyTurns wasn't familiar with his work and therefore relegated him to a lower celebrity status than anything else. Personally, it didn't effect my opinion of one of my fellow fans; it just reinforced that not everyone operates with the same basic knowledge of what's going on around us. I'm reminded every day by my kids how out of touch with current pop culture I am.