Jamie Foxx at GT

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Ok, he’s not Lucille Ball, Jack Nicholson, Katherine Hepburn, Al Pacino, Whoopi Goldberg, Meryl Streep, Robert DeNiro, Barbara Streisand, or Paul Newman, either.

Probably so, but I enjoy a good sports game more than I do movies. Frankly, I’d rather see the guys working out with Calvin Johnson or current NFL players, but it is good they’re having fun distractions like this. Helps the program overall.
If you really don’t know who he is how do you also know which actors are better than him? If you have no idea about JF you should probably stay out of any discussions on recruiting because you have no idea what kids are into these days. Just kidding, but maybe not?

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Any good publicity we can get the better. We definitely need it.

That being said I had looked this guy up & found nothing that looked remotely familiar. After all the comments on here I doubled back. He’s done one thing anyone in my family has ever seen, White House Down. My wife was watching it one night when I walked in & it was a decent enough movie. He’s certainly a talented actor. That being said he’s certainly not on the level of a Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington, Will Smith, James Earl Jones, Samuel L Jackson, etc. I’m not glued to the tv, so perhaps there’s a whole world out there I’m missing out on.
You’ve never seen the movie Any Given Sunday? And you spent most of your time on a football message board? I’m going to keep most of my thoughts to myself. But thanks for sharing this because, as we read your posts going forward, we know you live in a box/your own world.

LibertyTurns

Banned
You’ve never seen the movie Any Given Sunday? And you spent most of your time on a football message board? I’m going to keep most of my thoughts to myself. But thanks for sharing this because, as we read your posts going forward, we know you live in a box/your own world.
I may not know movies, partially because it appears the majority of the time when these movies came out I wasn’t even in the country and secondly I usually only watch movies recommended to me (they have to be good), but at least I know the difference between a read option and an RPO which is more than I can say for many posters on here. Perhaps the team can spend some time learning plays instead of the latest dance move they saw on the big screen?

I’m gonna bow out of this thread. I’m sure Any Given Sunday is the greatest movie ever made. Next chance I get I’ll watch it so I can understand its greatness. Obviously one of Hollywood’s all time greats for whatever that’s worth.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m gonna bow out of this thread. I’m sure Any Given Sunday is the greatest movie ever made. Next chance I get I’ll watch it so I can understand its greatness. Obviously one of Hollywood’s all time greats for whatever that’s worth.
g drink enough GIF

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I guess I'm in the same boat as LibertyTurns on this one. I know of JF, know he's a talented actor (but he registered as a comedian initially in my mind), and am thrilled that he stopped by The Flats. But...I am not at all embarrassed that I couldn't give a rats-... about movie stars, movies and pop culture. It just doesn't register for me. More power to those of you who think it's what defines a person's worth...you keep being you. Consumption is just not near as interesting to me as being a creator, so I don't pay it all much mind.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I guess I'm in the same boat as LibertyTurns on this one. I know of JF, know he's a talented actor (but he registered as a comedian initially in my mind), and am thrilled that he stopped by The Flats. But...I am not at all embarrassed that I couldn't give a rats-... about movie stars, movies and pop culture. It just doesn't register for me. More power to those of you who think it's what defines a person's worth...you keep being you. Consumption is just not near as interesting to me as being a creator, so I don't pay it all much mind.
That wasn't the point of any of this, so you've just moved the goalposts. Jamie Foxx is a comedian. That's how he started. He's evolved his career (like many very talented people) to other parts of the Entertainment industry. His (or any other celebrity) being on campus and in the locker room, of and by itself, is not a big deal. But, in today's Instagram and other video social media environment, there is a tangible benefit to have A-List celebrities and professional athletes posting videos on our campus and with GT clearly in the background. This is highly attractive to the 16-19 year-olds (and even older kids). It's free publicity and besides, Jamie Foxx is hilarious in that little skit. He's a great improv comedian and this was straight-up improv. "I love all of y'all but I can't play all of y'all."

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Good lord GT folks know how to take a great thing and drag it into the trash.

Do any of yall have eligibility left and can run a 4.3 40 or can push a dump truck 20 yards down a field?

No? Ok then nobody cares if y'all know who or what Jamie Foxx (not his real name *gasp*) is or isn't.

And to anyone who doesn't recognize this is a good thing for the onfield product, ask yourself if you ever complained about our level of talent being deficient.

Then be honest and acknowledge whoever leads our program may need to think outside the box to get talent into the door.

"They should be working more on blockin' and tacklin' instead-a chucklin' with Oscar-winning megastars and whatnot."

What does that even mean? Should they be literally at practice all day in your mind? Do you think they're not working on those things during the time the NCAA allows?

Come on, people. Do better.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Any good publicity we can get the better. We definitely need it.

That being said I had looked this guy up & found nothing that looked remotely familiar. After all the comments on here I doubled back. He’s done one thing anyone in my family has ever seen, White House Down. My wife was watching it one night when I walked in & it was a decent enough movie. He’s certainly a talented actor. That being said he’s certainly not on the level of a Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington, Will Smith, James Earl Jones, Samuel L Jackson, etc. I’m not glued to the tv, so perhaps there’s a whole world out there I’m missing out on.
Surely you have seen the iconic football movie- Any Given Sunday?

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Seriously. There are a lot of famous folks out there I don't know much about. So long as they are of good repute, it's great to have them around the program. Like the local hip hop scene. Now, some of those may be a little sketch, but assuming they're not it's awesome to see them get involved, and the players love it.

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow

Do any of yall have eligibility left and can run a 4.3 40 or can push a dump truck 20 yards down a field?

No? Ok then nobody cares if y'all know who or what Jamie Foxx (not his real name *gasp*) is or isn't.

And to anyone who doesn't recognize this is a good thing for the onfield product, ask yourself if you ever complained about our level of talent being deficient.

Then be honest and acknowledge whoever leads our program may need to think outside the box to get talent into the door.

"They should be working more on blockin' and tacklin' instead-a chucklin' with Oscar-winning megastars and whatnot."

What does that even mean? Should they be literally at practice all day in your mind? Do you think they're not working on those things during the time the NCAA allows?

I liked this, and then unliked it so that I could like it again.
This visit was retweeted by espn, sporting news, etc.....Recruits all over the country saw this. You gotta think that at least a handful of them said, "hey there's some cool **** going down at GT." Anything that makes a school full of nerds look cool is awesome. I was really pumped to see it, myself.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Remarkable how we have so many fans who are so self righteous and pretentious that they feel anything they aren’t an expert in isnt of any value then they try and denigrate others who see value in the thing, event or person even when its connection makes positive news for GT. Goo grief. Jamie Foxx is a Big deal and his presence at GT is good for the program. End of rant.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I liked this, and then unliked it so that I could like it again.
This visit was retweeted by espn, sporting news, etc.....Recruits all over the country saw this. You gotta think that at least a handful of them said, "hey there's some cool **** going down at GT." Anything that makes a school full of nerds look cool is awesome. I was really pumped to see it, myself.

Yeah me too ... oh wait I'd have to have a burner account to do that ...

o-u.gif

Kidding (... or am I?)

Seriously though, this is a good thing for the program, people. Even if you don't know that it is, just trust the rest of us.

And I hope he doesn't yell at me. @LibertyTurns is my man $100K ..... wait, wait ... can't use pop culture references when talking 'bout my guy lib. Let me rephrase ... what I mean to say is that Lib is my board-pal. Better, lib? :sneaky:

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Yeah me too ... oh wait I'd have to have a burner account to do that ...

o-u.gif

Kidding (... or am I?)

Seriously though, this is a good thing for the program, people. Even if you don't know that it is, just trust the rest of us.

And I hope he doesn't yell at me. @LibertyTurns is my man $100K ..... wait, wait ... can't use pop culture references when talking 'bout my guy lib. Let me rephrase ... what I mean to say is that Lib is my board-pal. Better, lib? :sneaky:
Not that he needs me to ... but to stand behind your man, @LibertyTurns did state "Any good publicity we can get the better. We definitely need it." He's just a little less educated than the most of us in todays pop culture. I mean, by all means... tell the man you don't want him on your trivia team. But some people in here are acting like he walked into their house and kicked their dog.

YellowJacket55

Georgia Tech Fan

It makes you wonder how much of this is just rival fans trying to make us look bad, personally I haven’t witnessed that much or that type of negatively from our fan base

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It makes you wonder how much of this is just rival fans trying to make us look bad, personally I haven’t witnessed that much or that type of negatively from our fan base

I know that sort of thing happens but I will say, in this case, that's not what's going on.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I just gave Ray a spin on HBO max just because of this thread. JF puts on an incredible performance and definitely deserved to win an Oscar.
His breadth of work is remarkable. He goes from works like In Living Color and Booty Call to movies like Any Given Sunday, Django Unchained, and Project Power, to serious drama roles in Just Mercy and Ray. That is all in addition to the work he does as a stand up comedian and a musician. It is just insane how talented he is!!!