James Graham Transferring

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
"I love it when a plan comes together"

- the guy from the A-Team

Someone tell Yates he's on the Clock

Now we get 8 more guys to make the same choice or Graduate early, and that'll give us 10 slots for early signing and then the full 25 slots for traditional NSD

Yep, you guessed it, I am in full support of Roster Mgmt & "oversigning" to churn this Roster and get us ready to win

In modern day Pwr5 CFB guys that can't cut it Talent-wise at the big boy Level can still get a great Free Education at the G5 or FCS Level, in this Era of Student Loan Debt all free Degrees are valuable

Oversigning should no longer carry the stigma that it used among our Fans, just knowing that the Guys will still get free Educations should ease your minds and let us "run with the big dogs" at our Level

Our guys headed for the Portal this off-season should look like those Baby Turtles heading for the water when they hatch from their eggs
Agreed. The faster we turn the roster the sooner we compete.

Best of luck to him. I think this really just cements the fact that The coaches are really all in on Jeff Sims
They should be all in on Sims

When was the last time that GT had a better QB-RB duo than UGA?

After just 1.5 Recrootin' Classes, amazing

No telling what Collins could do at GT if we'd pull off the shackles and let CGC do the same things with his Roster that they do at Ohio State, Bama etc

No one is losing a job offer, and those schools aren't losing Research Grants because the FB Coach helped non-producers find a lower level FB Program to play for

85 FB Players that don't break any of SOCIETY'S LAWS have no impact on the Academic Branch of any University, TBH no one really cares about breaking The NCAA's "laws"

DARPA could care less if GT FB violated an outdated, draconian NCAA Rulebook, as long our GTRI met whatever demands they needed

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
This hopefully is just the beginning. The portal couldn’t have come at a better time for a program like GT. Collins will feast getting guys who aren’t starting at factories yet are better than what we have. This is going to be a fun off season to be able to swap out players not at positions of need with players we need.Our depth should be greatly improved.
Will you and others stop making excuses if a bunch of guys do leave and CGC gets "his guys" into the program?

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Coach Lundsford liked James’ tweet. I’m sure James is at the top of their list in Statesboro.
JD King, who played running back at Fitzgerald before signing with Oklahoma State, is at Southern too. He's out for the rest of the year (torn ACL, I think) but I wonder if he's not hittin up JG to make the move to the Boro.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
As of right now, every team in the Coastal save Duke and VT are ranked ahead of us in recruiting per Rivals. Add in Clemson and uga and that means at least half the teams we play are recruiting better than us. Recruiting alone won't fix what is now broken at GT.
There will always be a team, or teams, that recruit better. It’s what you do with them.

Every championship coach (Heisman, Dodd, Bryant, Parcells, Meyer) stressed avoiding turnovers and kicking. Meyer practices kickoffs by placing the kick inside the ten without going into the end zone ... he figures a 10 yard change in field position gives him an edge of 9% for a 3 and out.

Parcells went further. He said if you can play a turnover free game and have a positive hidden yardage figure, you should win. Without any fancy plays.

Those are the stats I’m looking at for Tech ... net yards per attempt, turnovers and kicking. And explains a lot of our results.

Deleted member 2897

As of right now, every team in the Coastal save Duke and VT are ranked ahead of us in recruiting per Rivals. Add in Clemson and uga and that means at least half the teams we play are recruiting better than us. Recruiting alone won't fix what is now broken at GT.

Right, but that’s a different point.

kalld12

Banned
I believe CGC is the type of coach that can initially get some kids to follow him into a firefight, but if success doesn't come soon, his bunker mentality might wear thin with many, and we might see a fire escape with numbers of players. I hope I am wrong, and kids keep buying what he is selling.

This is going to happen unfortunately

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Right, but that’s a different point.

Not really. The original assertion was that CGC could make hay with Factory castoffs. We aren't out recruiting our yearly opponents (currently) enough for the 2-3 transfers we can expect (hope?) to land each year to be impactful enough for us to routinely beat them with cast offs and recruiting classes landing in the lower half of the ACC.

I think you and I agree more than we disagree on this, but I don't see playing in the ACC right now as being as easy as some would like to paint it. Every school in the Coastal save Duke and VT is either improving their recruiting or maintaining at a level we can only hope to achieve (Miami). VT will most likely return to form at some point, and Duke has a coach that knows how to build a team that will be competitive every 3-4 years or so. Given the uga, Clemson, and ND games upcoming, as well as other OoC games against good opponents, we are going to need recruiting to continue to get better than where we have currently improved to if we want to maintain 8+ win years. That or we will have to take the Duke route and schedule a really weak slate of OoC foes to pad the win total...

Deleted member 2897

Not really. The original assertion was that CGC could make hay with Factory castoffs. We aren't out recruiting our yearly opponents (currently) enough for the 2-3 transfers we can expect (hope?) to land each year to be impactful enough for us to routinely beat them with cast offs and recruiting classes landing in the lower half of the ACC.

I think you and I agree more than we disagree on this, but I don't see playing in the ACC right now as being as easy as some would like to paint it. Every school in the Coastal save Duke and VT is either improving their recruiting or maintaining at a level we can only hope to achieve (Miami). VT will most likely return to form at some point, and Duke has a coach that knows how to build a team that will be competitive every 3-4 years or so. Given the uga, Clemson, and ND games upcoming, as well as other OoC games against good opponents, we are going to need recruiting to continue to get better than where we have currently improved to if we want to maintain 8+ win years. That or we will have to take the Duke route and schedule a really weak slate of OoC foes to pad the win total...

We do mostly agree on the larger topic. I just disagree on the current comparisons. Our recruiting class last year ranked #5 in the ACC. We did a lot of work late in the cycle to get there, so taking this years ranking before it’s final isn’t a fair comparison. Furthermore, the topic was on transfers, and they don’t factor into recruiting class rankings. And finally, the point was getting transfers from factories to compete against our opponents. We only play 2-3 so-called factories each year.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We do mostly agree on the larger topic. I just disagree on the current comparisons. Our recruiting class last year ranked #5 in the ACC. We did a lot of work late in the cycle to get there, so taking this years ranking before it’s final isn’t a fair comparison. Furthermore, the topic was on transfers, and they don’t factor into recruiting class rankings. And finally, the point was getting transfers from factories to compete against our opponents. We only play 2-3 so-called factories each year.

My issue with recruiting has always been that we cannot judge how good we are based off an isolated year. Last year was great by GT standards, but can we maintain it? Also, it doesn't matter if last year was great by GT standards if our yearly competition is beating us in recruiting, as they are this year. We play at least 3 factories every year in uga, Clemson and Da U. UNC could quickly approach factory like status given their HC and recruiting in the top 15. (and their complete disdain for NCAA mandated academics which is by now apparent) If VT returns to it's former self there are 5 legit schools every season that we will struggle to out talent. Not to mention ND every few years. Getting transfers helps shore up depth, but depending on them to be our more talented players is a fools errand.

I will note that I DO believe that CGC will be able to maintain recruiting in the 20-25 level with occasional rankings in the 15-20 range and occasional years in the low 30's as a floor. What I don't know is if that will be good enough to win enough games consistently to keep our fan base happy.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
My issue with recruiting has always been that we cannot judge how good we are based off an isolated year. Last year was great by GT standards, but can we maintain it? Also, it doesn't matter if last year was great by GT standards if our yearly competition is beating us in recruiting, as they are this year. We play at least 3 factories every year in uga, Clemson and Da U. UNC could quickly approach factory like status given their HC and recruiting in the top 15. (and their complete disdain for NCAA mandated academics which is by now apparent) If VT returns to it's former self there are 5 legit schools every season that we will struggle to out talent. Not to mention ND every few years. Getting transfers helps shore up depth, but depending on them to be our more talented players is a fools errand.

I will note that I DO believe that CGC will be able to maintain recruiting in the 20-25 level with occasional rankings in the 15-20 range and occasional years in the low 30's as a floor. What I don't know is if that will be good enough to win enough games consistently to keep our fan base happy.
If it’s not we’re screwed anyway. But the plan should be to get to where you describe and then keep inching up. It’s a long term plan but it’s the only way to get where we would all like to be.

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
This hopefully is just the beginning. The portal couldn’t have come at a better time for a program like GT. Collins will feast getting guys who aren’t starting at factories yet are better than what we have. This is going to be a fun off season to be able to swap out players not at positions of need with players we need.Our depth should be greatly improved.
The portal will not be a silver bullet.