James Graham is the future

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Here’s the obvious - Tobias looked small and skittish the entire game. Graham looked like he belonged and he has the best arm we’ve seen from a GT QB in a long long time. Those downfield passes weren’t floated, they were thrown. Graham is a baller and ran into the field of the National Champion as a redshirt freshman and showed absolutely zero fear. He’ll make some mistakes but he’ll also make this offense work. The last time my ears perked up after only a few plays from an unknown GT QB was Godsey’s first start. I get that same feeling that Graham just gets it and just wants to ball out like Godsey. It’s all attitude.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I am almost certain that the play clock call was on the coaches not LJ. Coach P put in arguably the best passer we had at our own 20 (or wherever we were) with 1 min left in the half and then called plays like he was just trying to run the clock out. I was at the game so it was hard for me to judge how scared he played but the playcalling did not take advantage of the situation and set him up for failure.
not sure what you're talking about. he called 3 passes right? what were you looking for?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I know it was just a few plays, but did anybody else see a little Lamar Jackson in James Graham? He is going to be a special player for us.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Here you go bud

giphy.gif
Thanks!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Here’s the obvious - Tobias looked small and skittish the entire game. Graham looked like he belonged and he has the best arm we’ve seen from a GT QB in a long long time. Those downfield passes weren’t floated, they were thrown. Graham is a baller and ran into the field of the National Champion as a redshirt freshman and showed absolutely zero fear. He’ll make some mistakes but he’ll also make this offense work. The last time my ears perked up after only a few plays from an unknown GT QB was Godsey’s first start. I get that same feeling that Graham just gets it and just wants to ball out like Godsey. It’s all attitude.

I have a lot of respect for Tobias. The guy's a gamer and he's fearless. But James Graham is obviously the guy we need behind center. He showed lots of poise for a QB with so little experience.

I'm betting he plays more than half the game vs. USF and starts against The Citadel.

GTFLETCH

Banned
For those people downplaying James Graham, get a life. Dude was absolutely the best looking QB of the 3, and I bet he’s not that much slower than Tobias, Arm + Legs is lethal. Coming from a guy who played QB in college at a D3 school, the kid has the intangibles. People saying he can’t be an excellent pro style QB is just plain ignorant. Kid is a Freshman in a hostile environment playing against 2/3rd string 4 star talent. From what I saw JG should be the starter w/ Tobias coming in with certain packages to keep the D on their heels. Lucas Johnson ship has sailed.

Go Jackets! It was one game, lots to be excited about moving forward. Excited to see the maturity from this game to the next.
I do not disagree, the only thing I think I need to see is JG getting down hill and running instead of going to the sidelines... I think the reason why TO is starting is our Oline is in transition and we need a QB able to get Positive rushing yds... Also I would like to see JG against starting D... Hopefully all three play the next three games and we settle on a QB by the time UNC and Coastal play starts

GTZachary

Jolly Good Fellow
I do not disagree, the only thing I think I need to see is JG getting down hill and running instead of going to the sidelines... I think the reason why TO is starting is our Oline is in transition and we need a QB able to get Positive rushing yds... Also I would like to see JG against starting D... Hopefully all three play the next three games and we settle on a QB by the time UNC and Coastal play starts

There’s some balance in the new, non-TripleO world between getting downhill and keeping the QB healthy. I don’t know how much the score played into it, but I do agree that there were some cases where JG could’ve gotten a few more; the longer 3rd down run being a good example. Could’ve laid out and gotten that. Maybe he does in a close game. Either way, experience should help that.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
I thing JG is our guy. TO will play some, probably in short yardage maybe some goal line packages. Teams where we need some QB keepers. But, JG can run too so with some experience he may be the real deal. Hopefully, we see him more against USF and Citadel and can see if he is what most of us think he is.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
So I know it all depends on how well he does in the prep leading up to the next game, but does/should JG get the bulk of the snaps against USF?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I thing JG is our guy. TO will play some, probably in short yardage maybe some goal line packages. Teams where we need some QB keepers. But, JG can run too so with some experience he may be the real deal. Hopefully, we see him more against USF and Citadel and can see if he is what most of us think he is.
Not saying that should not happen but it won't 2nd game of the year TO will still start. And if they pull him before the 4th quarter that could be a bad sign. I still think all 3 will play till after the Citadel game and then we will have a starter.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
So I know it all depends on how well he does in the prep leading up to the next game, but does/should JG get the bulk of the snaps against USF?

That seems to be the fan consensus, but honestly, none of the three would surprise me at all because I don't know what the staff is seeing in practice or on the tape of usf's defense. I am not even counting out Lucas for next game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't care if Graham was playing against backups. He played like the moment wasn't too big for him. I was skeptical of his passing, but he made really good throws to Blancato and Brown...throws that only those two had a chance to catch. He also brings a dimension only a handful of players on our team probably have, and that's the ability to make special plays. There's just something about when the ball is in his hands...you get the feeling that something VERY good can happen.

IMO, he needs more snaps. A thought I had since Thursday's game was that our coaches probably coached more towards the development going forward than to actually win the game. I'm not saying they went into it to lose, but they also knew our chances were pretty slim, so they didn't want someone like Graham to walk into a bad situation. There was a LOT of positives for Graham to build on. IF Graham would have started and was just thrown to the wolves give our OL and new scheme, they might have set him back mentally.

As for Lucas Johnson, you all know I've been beating that drum for years now. However, I'm starting think his window is starting to close. This will be the second staff that has seen him in practice every day and the second staff to not have the confidence to give him a bigger role. This offense set up to play towards his strengths more than the other QBs on our roster, but he wasn't able to take command to make it his job to lose. Hopefully there's more going on behind the scenes than we know and LJ will have a bigger role going forward, if not, then I have to start believing the small amount of playing time he's had is what it is.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Hard to say. I'm sure he'll get his chance, but I wouldn't say he will, or should, get the bulk of the snaps. In regards to the Clemson game, as has been stated, he was playing against backups in a game that was already decided. Now, their back ups are talented, and there are reasons to be hopeful based on his play, but they aren't the same level as the starters, and with the game decided it's hard to maintain the same level of intensity. But we don't really have a good idea how the different circumstances impacted his vs Oliver's play as well as the playcalling.

The other dynamic at play is that this decision might not be entirely based on the skills of the QB directly. Currently, the way this team has been put together favors running the ball, and Oliver is our best running QB, and imo best runner overall. His number against clemson don't look great, but he lost 18 yards on sacks, and another 11 on a busted play where the back ( I believe it was Griffin) wasn't aware he was to get the ball. Without those 3 he had 17 carries for 85 carries good for a 5 ypc (not saying the other plays don't count but rather they don't really say anything about the running game). So Oliver brings an advantage on running plays, while Griffin likely brings an advantage on passing plays. The concern is does the advantage that Griffin brings, both directly and through the threat of the pass, outweigh the advantage Oliver brings on plays that the rest of the team is also more suited to run? It's not an easy question.

The last thing to consider is how much do you play for this game vs long term. I think it's likely that Oliver gives us the best chance to beat USF, but another QB likely would give us a better chance either later in the year, or next year/year after.

Either way, I'm sure he'll get an opportunity (as I think LJ will as well).

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck

Tobias didn't play particularly well from a passing standpoint and he looked uncomfortable trying to pass, but he didn't look "small".