James Graham 2019 Season Highlights

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Showed some flashes, I think people forget he was a freshman playing behind, statistically, the worst OL in FBS. He's got the arm strength, the speed, and the athleticism to succeed. Good news is the rest can be coached and will grow with experience

so a freshman, but basically a true freshman in this scheme behind the worst ol in the country also learning a new O did what he did, but still gt stinks he stinks we shoulda won 7. Lol.

Sigh. Transition year. This next year we can be so much tougher. I hope. We will see

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Graham has the talent to succeed. So do several of our QB candidates. It'll be up to him.

One thing: I hope they give him a chance to run more next year. He'll be much more effective if the threat of a long run is there to accompany the passing.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
He has the tools to be great if he can hit intermediate throws consistently. He throws a great deep ball and really well on the run. If he can hit come bread and butter throws, it will open up so much more of the offense.

The thing that stood out to me most in that video and really all season is how well Brown adjusts to the ball in the air without losing speed. He does this at an elite level as a true freshman. If Nate is close to Brown’s level, Camp returns to form, and Cater continues to progress, our 4 WR sets are going to be fun to watch next year!

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
The thing that stood out to me most in that video and really all season is how well Brown adjusts to the ball in the air without losing speed. He does this at an elite level as a true freshman. If Nate is close to Brown’s level, Camp returns to form, and Cater continues to progress, our 4 WR sets are going to be fun to watch next year!

He does a great job running underneath the ball, and he's got such great speed that he can burn most DBs. Equally impressive is the chemistry between him and Graham - on several throws (Clemson TD, Pitt TD come to mind) Graham bombs it over the safety's head and Graham zips around him and makes it look easy. Haven't seen one of our receivers do that (and consistently and that) in forever. Maybe ever.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
Returning WR:
Brown, Carter, Sanders, Camp, Oliver...

This group has great potential. I hope we find a way to get Oliver the ball—short yardage passes where he can potentially make more, with an occasional deep ball or running play. Would Oliver have been an AB by now? WWPJD?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Graham has all the physical tools to succeed at this level: great arm talent, explosiveness on the ground, speed to pull away from defenders, agility, and good size for a QB.

I don't think anyone questions Graham's physical tools. The question is whether Graham, and by extension Patenaude's coaching, can bridge the gap between physical skillset and the non physical aspects of being a QB. The ability to anticipate windows, touch to thrown it between defensive zones, see the field better,understanding coverages and how to attack it, line adjustments, etc.

There are some plays from Graham that make you go "WOW!!", and then there are plays you just shake your head. If he can be more consistent and keep our offense on schedule there's no reason why he can't be a top 3 ACC QB.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
247: Ten ACC football players primed for breakout seasons in 2020
JAMES GRAHAM, GEORGIA TECH QB

247Sports' Take: Georgia Tech went 3-9 overall and 2-6 against ACC play in head coach Geoff Collins' first year on the job in 2019, but the Yellow Jackets were young and loaded with developing talent. Chief among them was James Graham, who emerged midway through the season as Georgia Tech's starting quarterback. As a redshirt freshman, the 6-foot-1, 192-pound Graham accounted for 10 touchdowns (eight passing, two rushing), but threw seven interceptions. After taking his lumps, he could be due for the next step as the full-time starter entering Year 2 on the job. A four-star recruit, Graham was the 247Sports Composite's No. 332 overall prospect, No. 17 athlete and No. 38 player in Georgia for the 2018 class out of Fitzgerald High.

On the other side of the ball, Antonneous Clayton is not to be forgotten. A transfer from Florida after three seasons with the Gators from 2016-18, Clayton sat the year out but returns to action in 2020 ready for an immediate star impact. The 6-foot-2, 265-pounder was recruited to Florida by Collins — then the defensive coordinator — and logged 17 games after a season-ending injury as a freshman in 2016. A four-star recruit out of Vienna (Ga.) Dooly County, Clayton's homecoming to Georgia Tech is highly anticipated after he left his high school as the 247Sports Composite's No. 27 overall prospect, No. 2 weak-side defensive end and No. 4 player in Georgia for the 2016 class.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Best thread I thought this would fit in. I hope coach P incorporates this into our offensive arsenal next season. If you notice in JG highlight tape alot of our big pass plays came off the switch concept. This would be a nasty change up. Especially with Brown running the fade.