James Graham 2019 Highlights

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. If Collins and company treat this like another scrimmage then he needs to be shown the door.
What do you tell the players again?
"Hey don't bother trying to win because you know...you just aint that good...just try and look good and make the right reads."
We will see some asinine QB rotation again because we have a dunce leading our O. I can hear the defenders now. "We lost a spring practice so he has rotate QBs on each play"

Come on. No one is saying that. But tell me how the players react when Graham starts and does ok yet the players on the team know that Sims or Gleason is better? Should Graham get all the playing time because he beat out Lucas Johnson and Tobias Oliver in 2020? Who said we aren’t trying to win every game? I’m simply saying, in my personal view, we do not have the players right now on the team to beat 3-4 teams on our schedule. Call me crazy but our last 4 recruiting classes have been ranked 48, 44, 50, and 27. Sorry if I don’t think we can currently compete with several on our schedule. Now, if we find a legit D1 QB in 2020, bring in another class ranked in the upper 20’s, and the young guys get bigger and stronger, then yes, we can start consistently winning 8 games a year in the ACC. And with a legit QB by his junior and season year we can start knocking off some big boys. But, for 2020, goal number 1 is to find a freaking QB.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think for us to have a baller 2022 class, CGC needs to prove himself a bit more in the W column.

I would personally like us to have either 5 or 6 wins this year. That would show the 2021 and 2022 class that this “developmental program” is working, that guys are individually getting better and the team is getting better together.

I think 2021 understands a very rough first year, but 2022 might be a harder sell.

I totally agree. But my point has been if we only win 3 or 4 it’s not the end of the world. So many games come down to one or two plays that the difference in winning 3 games or 6 games may be 4 or 5 points. That’s why I’m only looking for significant improvement and not win totals. We could very well be a much better team yet still only win 3-4 games. VT will probably beat us but they darn sure shouldn’t beat us by 45. UGA will probably beat us but we shouldn’t look like the JV team like we have the last few times we met.

Scubapro

Banned
Come on. No one is saying that. But tell me how the players react when Graham starts and does ok yet the players on the team know that Sims or Gleason is better? Should Graham get all the playing time because he beat out Lucas Johnson and Tobias Oliver in 2020? Who said we aren’t trying to win every game? I’m simply saying, in my personal view, we do not have the players right now on the team to beat 3-4 teams on our schedule. Call me crazy but our last 4 recruiting classes have been ranked 48, 44, 50, and 27. Sorry if I don’t think we can currently compete with several on our schedule. Now, if we find a legit D1 QB in 2020, bring in another class ranked in the upper 20’s, and the young guys get bigger and stronger, then yes, we can start consistently winning 8 games a year in the ACC. And with a legit QB by his junior and season year we can start knocking off some big boys. But, for 2020, goal number 1 is to find a freaking QB.
I don't know how the players would react. We may be short handed on the depth but the issue will the the guy calling the plays from the press box. He could take LSU level talent and struggle to score three times a game.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Will you be ok with it if Graham is the better player next year, proves it in practice, and gets the majority of the snaps in all games? Sims completed 57% of his passes last year and went 12-31 in his final game. Gleason completed 55% of his passes and had more interceptions than TDs. It’s not a forgone conclusion that they will ever take the job from Graham, especially in the first year. Are you ready to support Graham if he is the guy? Because it sure doesn’t sound like it.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

We lose basically no one of consequence and add Johnson, Cochran, Clayton, Ezzard, Allen, healthy Lee, Camp, and Cooper. Half of those guys may be among our 10 best players. There are a ton of question marks, but the overall talent is good enough to compete with 8 teams on the schedule. And we've seen places like Miami and Notre Dame squander their talent in the past. I absolutely think we should be trying to compete for a bowl game and not write off the coastal from the outset.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
You know what? The guy that Graham reminds me of is Jordan Love. When things go right for James, he makes a similar set of throws. Needs a ton of development but I think it's an interesting comp.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I absolutely will and do support Graham or any QB. My handle is SOWEGA so I’m pulling for Graham more than any of them but I saw tendencies last year that I didn’t see in other young QB’s like a Bo Nix. And that concerns me. What I really wish was that Graham would have entrenched himself last season so that question would be settled. But it wasn’t and here we are with the same set of questions we had last year with Lucas, Tobias, and Graham.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think any of our redshirt studs will get restless and transfer out if they don’t get playing time this year. I think it will between Yates and Graham for the position this year, and whoever wins it will be in competition with Sims and Gleason for next year.

I don’t think Graham would transfer out if he looses the job. I could see him moving to another position in the 2021 season because he’d be a redshirt junior by then, and would only have 2 more years of eligibility.

Yates might transfer, but with two studs in the bullpen it wouldn’t be the worst. He may also try to transition to another position as well.

It’s veeeery tough to get to and STAY in the NFL as a QB. Even as a backup, really talented guys like Aaron Murray only last a few years. Getting that GT education might be worth staying for these guys.

But I think you’re right. Out of these four, I do think at least one might transfer. I just don’t think it will be next year.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I don't know how the players would react. We may be short handed on the depth but the issue will the the guy calling the plays from the press box. He could take LSU level talent and struggle to score three times a game.
So no consistency in the OL, limited receiving corp and a QB who can’t make all the throws and is learning the offense as he goes and the problem is play-calling. Such a stupid take man.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Thanks I appreciate your opinion but Patenaude is a bum and you can see it in his previous work.
Go search the internet and see what fans at his previous stops have said about him
He complained about the players not knowing the plays To me thats is horse sheet Its his job to make sure the players know what to do and when Thats the basis if coaching
Don’t recall him blaming any players, that was me saying some of them weren’t ready. You’re right that coaches teach players but when your only option is a guy who isn’t ready yet you have to dial back what you want to do to what he can handle. BTW why would I care what a bunch of fans think about a coach? You do know that his Temple offense set numerous school records right? As did his Coastal Carolina team? Why not wait and see what we look like when we have players who are able to run what we want. I expect to see major differences this year?

Scubapro

Banned
Don’t recall him blaming any players, that was me saying some of them weren’t ready. You’re right that coaches teach players but when your only option is a guy who isn’t ready yet you have to dial back what you want to do to what he can handle. BTW why would I care what a bunch of fans think about a coach? You do know that his Temple offense set numerous school records right? As did his Coastal Carolina team? Why not wait and see what we look like when we have players who are able to run what we want. I expect to see major differences this year?
I will go back and watch but in one of his you tube chats he said players, not the QB, didn't know where to go during plays. If you have limited players then you better make sure they know what they are doing.
I don't know he didn't set any season records at Temple (according to Wikipedia) but at CC they only started competing in 2003 so setting school records in 2012 isn't that much to crow about. I do know Temple was happy he left.
You should care what other fans thought/think of a coach. Thats a good indication of how we will feel about him in the future. If Miami or App st were to ask you about Nix or Roof what would you say? I am guessing you would have chuckled and said good luck. (I would have included Sewak but I don't know if ended up anywhere)
Look. I hope I am 100% wrong about the guy but everything about him screams that he is a douche bag in over his head.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
C'mon Scubapro, tell us how you really feel.. lol

This time last year I was all hyped up with the videos and Waffle House stuff. Ready for a new era in Tech football. Loving what the coaches were saying and looking forward to the start of fall camp. I was a "Thacker Backer".

Now it's covid crap, we are infighting on the politics, and for me the excitement of the football season has lost its luster.

Does the question become which quarterback remains covid free and "wins" the starting job because he does not get it? Perhaps the quarterback room gets exposed and all the QBs have to sit out for 14 days? And Oliver starts because he was not in the room?

This is going to be a really messed up season.

Scubapro

Banned
Lawyers, You know what they say about lawyers...

I sincerely hope it does not come down to lawyers dictating the season.

What do you say when you see a lawyer up to his neck in cement?

Bring in more cement.

I'm with you in that if it comes down to lawyers we are in trouble. They are loving the possibility of litigating both sides and they have the insurance people crapping their pants.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I will go back and watch but in one of his you tube chats he said players, not the QB, didn't know where to go during plays. If you have limited players then you better make sure they know what they are doing.
I don't know he didn't set any season records at Temple (according to Wikipedia) but at CC they only started competing in 2003 so setting school records in 2012 isn't that much to crow about. I do know Temple was happy he left.
You should care what other fans thought/think of a coach. Thats a good indication of how we will feel about him in the future. If Miami or App st were to ask you about Nix or Roof what would you say? I am guessing you would have chuckled and said good luck. (I would have included Sewak but I don't know if ended up anywhere)
Look. I hope I am 100% wrong about the guy but everything about him screams that he is a douche bag in over his head.
No what’s dumb about listening to fans, including me, is they basically don’t know crap
about football or why things do or don’t happen. Ted Roof for example has had really good defenses when he has had the players to work with. Fans somehow expect coaches to work magic by instituting a scheme no other coaches know about or calling plays that work not matter what their talent is. It doesn’t happen.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
To bring it back to James, I thought the NC State game was his best work of the season. He put his foot in the ground on the zone reads and made the safety miss. It really got the offense going.
He had a great connection with Brown and really started to get in sync with Carter towards the end as well.
As a freshman in a new offense with a make-shift OL, he did about as expected but I was surprised with his deep throwing accuracy, but surprised at his lack of running prowess as well(nc state notwithstanding.)
I think he made some great strides, but I see this as an open competition in fall. Yates has the same amount of time in the system and both of the freshmen are very talented. He will have to build on last year to keep the starter role. I do see him as the starter for game one, we shall see after that.
As for comparisons, I would liken him to Tyrod Taylor. He just has to keep improving