Interview Jamal Golden #4 Safety

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Jamal Golden #4 Safety
[float_left]
golden_01.jpg
[figcap]Jamal Golden #4 DB[/figcap][/float_left]Q: How are special teams looking so far in camp?
A: We just got a new coach - Coach Ray - who came in. He's a very intense coach and I'm very excited to play for him. I feel like special teams is going to be one of our strong points this year.

Q: What kind of changes has Coach Ray made to coverage, the return game, or in the way you go through practice drills?
A: Practice drills are a little different. They're a little more intense and a little more organized. But honestly it's too soon to tell. He's a great coach, he's intense, and he gets after you on the little things. If you don't do the little things right then he's not going to put you on the field.

Q: Are you completely healthy?
A: I'm good. I'm good to go. I'm 100% and it's a great feeling to be back in fall camp with the pads on.

Q: Obviously you get a lot of attention for your ability in the return game. I know you take a lot of pride in being a top safety as well. What have you done to work on that aspect of your game?
A: Stay in the film room. I stayed in every meeting last season when I got injured. I've been to every workout this offseason. I'm learning the game as much as I can so that it slows down and I can play fast.

Q: What are your personal goals this year?
A: Be top in the ACC. Right now I'm most worried about our team goal which is to get to Charlotte. Really my personal goal is to do whatever I can to get us to Charlotte.

Q: Due to departures the D-Line is short on depth. Are you guys doing anything special defensively or team-wise to account for that lack of depth?
A: We're doing our regular stuff. Obviously we lost Jeremiah, Euclid, and Too Tall to graduation. We have some guys ready to step up. Adam Gotsis is obviously going to be a good player. Shawn Green has played - I guess people forget about him, but he's played a lot and is a good player too. Tyler Stargel and KeShun Freeman are at the ends. And then we have guys like Pat Gamble and Francis Kallon, so we have guys on the D-Line. We're going to make plays there.

[float_right]
golden_02.jpg
[figcap]@CuseJacket interviews Golden[/figcap][/float_right]Q: What young guys have looked good so far on defense?
A: KeShun Freeman has looked really good. Then you have the Austin twins who have come in and have been very impressive. They're very skilled. They're still learning the game right now but I feel like they're going to be very good players.

Q: Superlatives - Who is the toughest guy to cover on offense?
A: I'll give it to Tony Zenon. He's very shifty. It's hard to see which way he's going to break. He's the toughest A-Back to hit. Then at WR you have Darren Waller and DeAndre [Smelter]. They're both big guys. They're hard to cover and they can go up and get the ball. They give me some great competition as do the rest of the guys. It's a competition every day.

Q: Who's the one guy on the O-Line you least want to see pull on an offensive play or release to the second level?
A: Shaq. Shaq. Definitely Shaq.

Q: Sounds like there might be a personal experience in there somewhere.
A: Yea, I've gone against Shaq many-a-time. With our OL, they fire off the ball and move very well. They get up to the 2nd level very quickly, so if you don't see them they can get you.

Q: Who is the toughest guy to tackle?
A: Tim Byerly and Donovan [Wilson] are tough. It's hard to pick one person. Obviously Zach Laskey is a bruiser. They're all tough runners on offense.

Last edited by a moderator:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Cuse, Is that you in the photo? Shouldn't you be wearing a tie as a member of the press corps? (tic)

Great job!!

Get to Charlotte, and then let it all rip since we will be massive underdogs with nothing to lose .....

Shaq doesn't sound like a nice person. :eek:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Cuse, Is that you in the photo? Shouldn't you be wearing a tie as a member of the press corps? (tic)

Great job!!

Get to Charlotte, and then let it all rip since we will be massive underdogs with nothing to lose .....

Shaq doesn't sound like a nice person. :eek:

Yes, that's me. At least the picture isn't close enough to show that I pointed the microphone on my phone toward myself for the interview.