Jalen Camp Drafted by the Jaguars

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I like Urban, anyone who hates UG is ok in my book. I was really disappointed when he left UF, he said he had heart issues and stress issues but i think he was mostly just heartbroken that Tebow graduated.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sold on him as an NFL coach yet. The biggest knock I have on him (and the GM) so far is drafting Etienne in the first round. They already have a 1000 yard back on the team so there was no pressing reason to add another.
Don’t think they are looking at him as a RB only. He will be used for 3rd down, split into the slot and stuff like that. They were looking for playmakers not necessarily positions.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sold on him as an NFL coach yet. The biggest knock I have on him (and the GM) so far is drafting Etienne in the first round. They already have a 1000 yard back on the team so there was no pressing reason to add another.
J Rob was a stud last year, but he carried the ball too much, this will help him have a longer career. I didn’t mind the pick at all, especially in today’s NFL, you don’t see many bell cows anymore.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
J Rob was a stud last year, but he carried the ball too much, this will help him have a longer career. I didn’t mind the pick at all, especially in today’s NFL, you don’t see many bell cows anymore.
Plus they aren’t too worried about winning next year. They have a lot of needs and are basically collecting pieces for the future.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Add in the fact that there’s a 17th game coming and teams are definitely going to have to manage the carries for those bell cow type backs to not use them up.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
For all those defending the Etienne pick, there is a reason he was projected in the second round to begin with. He's a great player, and all those things mentioned are true, but I would have picked up the OT that slipped to the second round (should have been a first rounder IMO) and made sure I was protecting the overall #1 pick. There are plenty of RBs to pick from and most likely the Jags could have still gotten him at the beginning of round 2.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
For all those defending the Etienne pick, there is a reason he was projected in the second round to begin with. He's a great player, and all those things mentioned are true, but I would have picked up the OT that slipped to the second round (should have been a first rounder IMO) and made sure I was protecting the overall #1 pick. There are plenty of RBs to pick from and most likely the Jags could have still gotten him at the beginning of round 2.
No chance, Buffalo would’ve picked him with a quickness.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I mean that’s a reasonable take but I don’t think it means Etienne was a bad pick. They obviously have a different view of their needs.

Tadams6599

Jolly Good Fellow
If anything this pick appeals to Lawrence and building around him, plus having two good backs is huuuge in the NFL look at Cleveland when Chubb missed a few games they didn’t miss a beat

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
20210505_130553.jpg

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If anything this pick appeals to Lawrence and building around him, plus having two good backs is huuuge in the NFL look at Cleveland when Chubb missed a few games they didn’t miss a beat
I mean that’s a reasonable take but I don’t think it means Etienne was a bad pick. They obviously have a different view of their needs.

Good backs don't fare as well without good OL, and that is a major need for the Jags. Prior to the draft, QB and OL were their most pressing needs on offense. For 2020, PFF ranked Jacksonville's OL as 22nd, one spot behind the Falcons. Having Etienne is a luxury, but having an effective OL is a necessity, especially since they just drafted a possible generational talent at QB. With a good OL, however, a lot of backs become viable options. Think Denver under Shanahan 15 or so years ago. Any back with a pulse could get 100 yds a game in that offense with that OL. I agree this pick probably appeals to Lawrence, but they've effectively got a franchise QB for good, so there was no pressing need to reach for Etienne when their needs were otherwise. Just my opinion, but I see it as a wasted pick for them.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Good backs don't fare as well without good OL, and that is a major need for the Jags. Prior to the draft, QB and OL were their most pressing needs on offense. For 2020, PFF ranked Jacksonville's OL as 22nd, one spot behind the Falcons. Having Etienne is a luxury, but having an effective OL is a necessity, especially since they just drafted a possible generational talent at QB. With a good OL, however, a lot of backs become viable options. Think Denver under Shanahan 15 or so years ago. Any back with a pulse could get 100 yds a game in that offense with that OL. I agree this pick probably appeals to Lawrence, but they've effectively got a franchise QB for good, so there was no pressing need to reach for Etienne when their needs were otherwise. Just my opinion, but I see it as a wasted pick for them.

I assume they believe they can address the OL through free agency but do get your point.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Article is about Lawrence and a Jaguars fan, but I'm posting because Camp is front and center with The Franchise in the picture. Which means he's getting reps with Lawrence. Also, it sounds like Camp is doing well in practice according to Twitter chatter.