Jalen Camp Drafted by the Jaguars

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting comment about the impact that a message board comment had on Camp from an AJC article about him being drafted,

He indeed was, one more piece of evidence that he has become far more than the two-star label he bore at South Forsyth. He hasn’t forgotten it, along with a comment from a fan on a Tech message board expressing disappointment that Camp was part of former coach Paul Johnson’s signing class. Camp’s father took a screenshot of the comment and sent it to his son.

“I’ve used that as a chip on my shoulder for my entire college career,” Camp said. “Just because I believe in myself, I believe in my talent. So that was something that drove me throughout my entire college career and then throughout this (pre-draft) training process. Not so much to prove people wrong, but to prove myself right.”

See the full article at:

Georgia Tech’s Jalen Camp drafted by Jaguars in sixth round (ajc.com)

Definitely wish him the best with this new opportunity!
Which one of you made the comment?

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Probably beginning at special teams and grinding his way up from there is the path for him. I think he has the tools but will need to learn a lot in terms of running routes. He might look like a steal a few years down the road.
I hope you’re right, I’m a Jags fan. He may fit best has an HBack.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Football is football at any level. Meyer can coach and he knows what he needs in order to succeed. They aren't reaching on Camp. He needs a receiver that can block in his system. That's what you get with PJ's receivers.

I think X's and O's transfer to all levels. However, at the NFL level, coaches have less control over players, and you have to deal with salary cap issues that even out the playing field. Urban can "out athlete" most of his schedule like he can at Florida or OSU.

One thing I'm disappointed in Urban about is he is leaning on a LOT of NFL retreads. I was hoping he would do it his way in the NFL and bring in coaches with a unique view on football. The NFL is quickly becoming an offensive league. One good thing is Urban has always been open to using concepts from the best offensive and defensive minds. We'll see if he continues to do so in the NFL instead of continuing the "copycat" philosophy NFL coaches have.

He'll have a good start with Jalen Camp...and some dude named Trevor Lawrence should help as well. :)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think X's and O's transfer to all levels. However, at the NFL level, coaches have less control over players, and you have to deal with salary cap issues that even out the playing field. Urban can "out athlete" most of his schedule like he can at Florida or OSU.

One thing I'm disappointed in Urban about is he is leaning on a LOT of NFL retreads. I was hoping he would do it his way in the NFL and bring in coaches with a unique view on football. The NFL is quickly becoming an offensive league. One good thing is Urban has always been open to using concepts from the best offensive and defensive minds. We'll see if he continues to do so in the NFL instead of continuing the "copycat" philosophy NFL coaches have.

He'll have a good start with Jalen Camp...and some dude named Trevor Lawrence should help as well. :)

I'm not sold on him as an NFL coach yet. The biggest knock I have on him (and the GM) so far is drafting Etienne in the first round. They already have a 1000 yard back on the team so there was no pressing reason to add another.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Football is football at any level. Meyer can coach and he knows what he needs in order to succeed. They aren't reaching on Camp. He needs a receiver that can block in his system. That's what you get with PJ's receivers.
Waller is the best pass catching TE in the NFL. Camp is just as capable to become a nice receiving option for the Jags.