Jalen Camp, Brandon Adams.... why burn redshirts??

MountPGT1990

Banned
CPJ said he wouldn't burn any redshirts on guys unless they would contribute in a big way.
Brandon Adams has had one or two big plays on defense against Vandy, I don't recall him playing against Clemson or Miami. Why burn his redshirt if we are just using him for limited situations and he doesn't even play in most games? Seems like a waste....

Same for Jalen Camp. I can recall him having 1-2 catches this year. What's the point of burning a redshirt if everyone else is healthy? Doesn't make sense to me. Jeune, Stewart, and MLD seem to the only one's getting any playing time and they have all disappeared against Clemson and Miami. Why burn Jalen's year of eligibility to let him get a catch or two against Mercer and Vandy???

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We will see Adams every time we defend a fourth and short or a goal line. I feel sure. We just haven't seen any. Scores are happening from further out. With that said your point is well taken. It's not like our WRs have run defensive backs out of the stadium. We deperately need to get something going along the boundary. Is there a gamer in the crowd?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes, there is!

The problem is that he is playing AB instead of WR. I refer, yet again, to Clinton Lynch.

I doubt if the coaching staff agrees, of course; Lynch is our most productive AB. But … if we want someone that JT trusts and will throw to, someone who can block, someone who can make yards after the catch, then the answer is a simple one.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am not sure if I like the CL to WR idea to be truthful. Part of what makes him good is his slippery deceptiveness. Believe it or not, he lacks stretching speed (like everybody else we have playing WR) and height to be ideal for the position in our offense. Stand up blocking is a lot different than cut blocking. You might be right, but I strongly favor playing him where he is. He is a slot guy in my mind. The match ups are better for him there and he is a total surprise when he pulls off a block and goes vertical.

MountPGT1990

Banned
Yes, there is!

The problem is that he is playing AB instead of WR. I refer, yet again, to Clinton Lynch.

I doubt if the coaching staff agrees, of course; Lynch is our most productive AB. But … if we want someone that JT trusts and will throw to, someone who can block, someone who can make yards after the catch, then the answer is a simple one.

It's funny that you say this, because I was just thinking it seems like we have some players playing the wrong position and could excel if switched. I know this sounds absurd because I trust our coaches but I wonder what our offense would look like if:

1) M Marshall started at A back (similar to when A. Allen played A back with Dwyer at B Back)
2) T Marshall as an A Back
3) MLD as A Back

4) C. Lynch as WR

Just seems like CPJ always talks about getting best talent on the field and for some odd reason I don't feel like we are doing that.

Could you imagine this lineup?:
BBack- Mills
ABack- M. Marshall
A Back- T. Marshall
WR- Jeune
WR- C. Lynch

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I want to see philpott and camp get some burn.
Wasn't philpott a 100m hurdle champ in high school? Gotta be some type of explosive speed we can put out there...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I want to see philpott and camp get some burn.
Wasn't philpott a 100m hurdle champ in high school? Gotta be some type of explosive speed we can put out there...

On paper, the two fastest guys we have are Philpott and Nate Cottrell.

Unfortunately, both are coming off leg injuries. Philpott's wasn't as serious as Cottrell's, but it seems like consistent nagging leg injuries have put him behind other WRs. Cottrell, the times we saw him in mop up duty, doesn't appear to have the same explosive ability we saw in his prep tape.

If they can get their vertical speed to where we think they should be, I don't see any reason why we can't use them both out wide to send a message to the defense. Why not play them a handful of snaps with no blocking responsibility and let them run vertical routes. IF they're open, throw it to them. If not, at least they can create space on the vertical plane. Similar to what the Falcons use to do with Deion Sanders for some offensive packages. Everyone knew Neon Deion was only going to run go patterns all day, you still had to defend him. IMO, sometimes running a DB out of a play by chasing a WR vertically is just as good as blocking him. BTW, RPO plays utilizing these two could be home run type plays.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't have a problem burning these RS early in the season. These burnings have probably been based on practice that we don't see. I don't think we'll see any more burned barring multiple injuries.

As far as Camp, how well is he blocking at WR? We've not done a good job out there. And I agree with others that we aren't getting separation. If Camp is showing that in practice, it's worth a shot.

As far as Adams, we need the "big" D players in there getting reps and giving breaks. Like QB I favor developing talent ...... I was just looking at the 2 deep from the Mercer game, 7 of 11 D starting players hadn't redshirted. But only 3 of 11 O starting players hadn't RSd. Point is we are a lot thinner on D.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I agree we aren't stretching the field as well as we need at WR. This problem wouldn't seem as bad if we had protected JT better in games. We have had several guys wide *** open deep in games but couldn't get the ball to them due to QB pressure. Those would have been big plays for sure TDs.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We all know what paul says. But the reality with rs burns is he does do it sometimes that make you wonder.....but i think that is like every team. Some of these decisions are not easy real time

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
If they make the two-deep, they should burn the redshirt. If they are the best at a role now -- e.g. goal line with Adams -- they should play.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Camp has played a good bit. Adams made a key play in the Vandy game. Last year against Pitt we could have used a guy like him on short yardage plays. Maybe we see him this weekend.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
CPJ likes to use 5 or 6 WRs. Roof seems to play more freshmen to see what he's got. It is what it is.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Qua could not do the stand-up blocking well enough at his size, I believe.Aback cut blocks are easier.
I don't know if AB blocks are easier. They for sure are different and suit some players over others. Cutting guys in space isn't easy, especially when they are agile. Controlling a guy in stand up mode 15 yards down field for a few seconds is not easy either. Bottom line: we need large physical WRs with good feet and a willingness to block. I don't think Qua really fits that description.