Jahmyr Gibbs 2021-22 stat predictions

Gibbs 2021-22 TD Total

• Total voters

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I doubt he’s returning many kickoffs this year. Maybe in special spots, but can’t imagine Collins using him much here this year. He’s going to be the guy.
We still have mason and griffen. Gibbs can return a kick take a play off and then go back on the field.

GTZachary

Jolly Good Fellow
I feel like a lot of you don’t understand how good this guy is…best player on the team by a mile.
For real. Mason will definitely get a decent amount of carries, but Gibbs is a gamebreaker and will get as many touches as possible. He’s a potential 1st round pick in 2023 with his ability to catch out of the backfield. Don’t expect to see much of Griffin or Smith, barring injuries or blowouts.

And if Saquon Barkley can return kicks his final season at Penn St, Gibbs can too.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
For real. Mason will definitely get a decent amount of carries, but Gibbs is a gamebreaker and will get as many touches as possible. He’s a potential 1st round pick in 2023 with his ability to catch out of the backfield. Don’t expect to see much of Griffin or Smith, barring injuries or blowouts.

And if Saquon Barkley can return kicks his final season at Penn St, Gibbs can too.
I really doubt we only play 2 RBs in a game even if it's close. Rotating in Smith and Griffin into the game will keep everybody more fresh and the running style changeups could make it easier for one of them to break 1 loose.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Here are his stats from last year:

RushReceScri
YearSchoolConfClassPosGAttYdsAvgTDRecYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgTD
2020Georgia TechACCFRRB7894605.242430312.631137636.87
CareerGeorgia Tech894605.242430312.631137636.87

[thead] [/thead]

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 7/30/2021.

He played 7 games (incomplete). I’ll go ahead and say he stays mostly healthy and roughly doubles his stats with more touches.

920 yards rushing
5.2 yards/rush
9 rushing TDs

I think he’ll do some damage through the air
50 receptions
650 yards
13 yards/catch
7 passing TDs

1570 all purpose yards
16 combined TDs.

ETA: It’s a big challenge for Patenaude to use the weapons he has in the backfield, plus get the WR corps going. I’m also curious if he can get a 2 or even 3-TE set going successfully now with more recruits.
I would be really, really surprised if we ever go 2TE outside of goal line situations, and I would bet my left arm we will never be in a 3TE set. TE is our least proven skill position of the 4, and I think it would be a big tradeoff to have an extra TE on the field at the expense of a WR, let alone a RB.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
I really doubt we only play 2 RBs in a game even if it's close. Rotating in Smith and Griffin into the game will keep everybody more fresh and the running style changeups could make it easier for one of them to break 1 loose.
Oh we will definitely rotate backs. We probably have the best RB corp in the ACC. But the talent gap from Gibbs to #2 is a very wide margin to me.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
And the talent and production gap between our #2 RB and the rest of the ACC's #2 RBs is pretty wide too
Completely agree. Not discrediting the other guys that’s just how high I am on Gibbs. Gibbs is an NFL ready back. Stats don’t show it yet but he might be the best back in GT history talent wise

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
I would be really, really surprised if we ever go 2TE outside of goal line situations, and I would bet my left arm we will never be in a 3TE set. TE is our least proven skill position of the 4, and I think it would be a big tradeoff to have an extra TE on the field at the expense of a WR, let alone a RB.
Does anyone have stats as to what our personnel package percentages was? My gut feeling is that we used TEs a lot last year to block, and were really hurt early by COVID basically wiping out that position group.

Hoping our O-line play solidifies to the point where we don't need a TE to shore up blocking and we can get another weapon (like a 2nd RB) on the field.

GTZachary

Jolly Good Fellow
We will definitely see more than 2 RBs in every game. Just not expecting 5+ carries out of the other dudes.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
We will definitely see more than 2 RBs in every game. Just not expecting 5+ carries out of the other dudes.
I'd think the breakdown on average would be something like 40-50% Gibbs, 25-35% Mason, 25% Smith/Griffin, with more weight on just Mason and Gibbs in tougher games, and more carries for Mason but less for Gibbs in easier games. Don't want to take too much away from Mason, we still want to put him in the NFL in as high a draft spot as possible.

Completely agree. Not discrediting the other guys that’s just how high I am on Gibbs. Gibbs is an NFL ready back. Stats don’t show it yet but he might be the best back in GT history talent wise
Ok, stretching a little. Let's get him in a full season and he just might be. But he has some very high markers and I will only cover modern history. ELI, Lavette, and Mays. And Dwyer as well.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Gibbs is a great player and will get his touches/TDs. I'd rather look at it as a whole for the RBs as we have 4 solid ones.

Last year we averaged 190 ypg rushing over 10 games with Sims at 492, Gibbs 460, Mason 362, Griffin 229, and Smith 298.
I'd like to see us at at least 240 ypg rushing this year with Sims hopefully coming down a few yards to no more than 400 range and saving himself a bit.
For a full 12-game schedule at the higher rate and keeping the percentages of touches similar (and likely will have some McGowan thrown in), we would end up with Gibbs at around 700, Mason 600, Griffin/Smith around 400-500 range each. Now that would be an awesome quad that saves some bodies by spreading the load. I see Gibbs getting the most receptions out of the backfield as well but Mason and Smith are no slouches there either. If he maintains the 24 receptions/10 games, he'll be at 30 receptions and 300-400 yards this year, so all-purpose over 1,000.
Rushing TDs would love to see a minimum of a 50% increase from 18 to 27. Percentages would give Gibbs 9-10 of those.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I believe that he will be even more special this year! Better because of the support by OL lines, more knowledgeable/experienced QB, and WR who better understand their routes, and a deep reserve of RB to pull from. Plus Gibbs will also have a year of college FB experience to draw from and the game will/should slow down even more for him this year! These factors will allow Gibbs to play at a HIGHER LEVEL this year as difficult as that may seem!