Article Jackets Sting the Seminoles in Dramatic Fashion

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
[float_left]
florida_state_vs_georgia_tech_0558_thumb.jpg
[figcap]Sophomore DB #17 Lance Austin takes a blocked FG for a history making 78-yard game-winning touchdown[/figcap][/float_left] ATLANTA, GA – Georgia Tech played its heart out, and the stage was set for it to get ripped out once again.

With 6 seconds remaining and the game tied at 16, Florida State kicker Roberto Aguayo set up for a potential game winning 56-yard field goal attempt. It was the same distance from which Pittsburgh’s Chris Blewitt converted to give the Panthers a victory at Bobby Dodd Stadium just one week prior. This week with a former Lou Groza Award winner lining up for the attempt, a gut-wrenching ending was ominously close again.

And on that play the game indeed ended. And if you’re waking up today a Florida State fan, your stomach is predictably entangled in knots.

Defensive tackle Pat Gamble penetrated the line, raised his paw, and blocked the field goal attempt. Defensive back Lance Austin scooped it and returned it 78 yards for a touchdown behind a wall of Georgia Tech blockers. It was a play that is already entrenched in Georgia Tech lore.

“I knew they were going to [win] the game on a FG or we were going to block it,” said Gamble. “Actually when I got down in my stance, this is the crazy thing, I saw myself blocking that kick. When Lance returned it for a touchdown, I was actually celebrating. I didn’t even know what was going on.”

Said Austin, “When I figured out it was blocked, I kind of zoned out. I didn’t really hear anybody. But we go over that scenario all the time in practice. It clicked in my head that the time expired, so I picked it up and went to the field.”

The final play was one that could be run 100 times again or more without a similar result. Make no mistake though, this was not a fluke win for the Yellow Jackets (3-5, 1-4). The Jackets earned every piece of their first ACC win of the year, taking down a Florida State team (6-1, 4-1) that had not lost a conference game in their last 28.

The Jackets went toe-to-toe for 60 minutes with their top 10 opponent, allowing themselves the opportunity to make a play at the end. Tech’s offense played keep-away, holding the ball for 34 minutes, 51 seconds and outgaining the Seminoles 328 yards to 280. The Jackets’ oft-maligned defense held Florida State to 2 of 10 on 3rd downs.

Poetically, it was special teams that literally won the game, a year in which that phase of the game has been anything but special for Tech.

There were big plays throughout, particularly in the waning moments of both halves. At the end of the first with 2:22 remaining, quarterback Justin Thomas broke free for a 60-yard jaunt down the right sideline for Tech’s lone offensive touchdown of the game. It gave the signal-caller and the Jackets confidence.

“I think it was huge for me and for everybody,” said Thomas. “We had the ball inside our own 5-yard line [to start the drive]. For us to get out of that situation, change field position, and score… it was big for us to get back in the game.”

With the game hanging in the balance at the end of the 4th quarter, it was Lance Austin’s twin brother Lawrence who deflected FSU quarterback Everett Golson’s pass in the end zone, tipping the ball into the hands of safety Jamal Golden.

On the Jackets’ final drive of regulation, down 16-13 and facing a 4th and 5 with 3 minutes to go, Thomas rolled out of the pocket and found true freshman wide receiver Brad Stewart streaking behind the Florida State secondary. The play netted 36 yards and put kicker Harrison Butker in range to ultimately tie the game.

“There were a lot of key plays in that game,” said Head Coach Paul Johnson. “It was a great play by Justin and Brad. It was a nice catch for a freshman to step up at that moment and make a play. I’m proud of him.”

Will the one final, dramatic play overshadow the game? Perhaps. However the players and coaches earned this one throughout. They played with confidence and mostly disciplined, contrary to prior games that ended with unsurprisingly opposite results.

It was a perfect ending amidst an otherwise imperfect season. And if the Jackets proved anything Saturday night, it’s that their heart is still beating strong.

Other news and notes:
  • Georgia Tech is now 12-14 all-time against Florida State
  • Last night’s win came at a cost on the injury front where the Jackets have been snake-bit. Both wide receiver Michael Summers and cornerback Step Durham left the game with injuries and did not return.
  • Justin Thomas’ 60-yard touchdown run was just the second rushing touchdown allowed this season by the Seminoles’ defense
  • Jamal Golden’s interception was the first turnover forced against the Seminoles’ offense this season. Golden is now tied with Duke’s Breon Borders and Virginia Tech’s Kendall Fuller for the ACC’s active career lead.
  • Heading into Saturday, Georgia Tech had blocked the most kicks in the nation since 2013. Patrick Gamble’s block was Tech’s 14th blocked kick in that span and third this season.
  • Head Coach Paul Johnson is now 6-3 at home versus top 25 opponents and 3-1 against top 10 teams

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Great article, Cuse, about great effort and a great win...and this part really makes it cool:
"With the game hanging in the balance at the end of the 4th quarter, it was Lance Austin’s twin brother Lawrence who deflected FSU quarterback Everett Golson’s pass in the end zone, tipping the ball into the hands of safety Jamal Golden."

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
ATLANTA, GA – Georgia Tech played its heart out, and the stage was set for it to get ripped out once again..........

No kidding. Great article.

When I saw it was 56 yard FG attempt (again) I couldn't watch. So I went to the bathroom, but before the ESPN2 feed caught up, one of the people watching said his phone had just blown up. Got out in time to see the block and return. Total bedlam in the house with everyone including the dog (great GT fan) going crazy.

This game epitomized the beauty of CFB where on a given night anything can happen; but our players had to go out and beat superior athletes. The size and speed advantage of FSU was easy to see during the plays and on the closeups between plays. But you can't score if you don't have the ball while we only had the ball for 34:51, there were only 55 plays run by FSU and 59 by us. How we ever won while losing the turnover battle is amazing.

I just finished re-watching the game with my wife who wanted to see it over. To me, this was the first win of the year against a real team. And it was earned.

SarasotaDad

Georgia Tech Fan
Featured Member
John - what a fabulous photo!! Hearing about Lance Austin's grandmother and seeing her name on his arm as he scored is a story in itself. I'm sure he and his twin bother have such emotions seeing this photo. Just awesome John!!!!!! Can't wait to see the rest of the shots.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
John - what a fabulous photo!! Hearing about Lance Austin's grandmother and seeing her name on his arm as he scored is a story in itself. I'm sure he and his twin bother have such emotions seeing this photo. Just awesome John!!!!!! Can't wait to see the rest of the shots.
Thank you sir! However, really wouldn't have been much for the photos had it not been for this team. Feel honored to have been able to capture these moments but as a fan, I'm still in that state between awe and "did that really happen?"