Article Jackets Roll in 65-10 Win Over Tulane

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
[float_left]
tulane_vs_georgia_tech_0461_thumb.jpg
[figcap]Georgia Tech QB #11 Matthew Jordan strikes on a 65-yard touchdown run[/figcap][/float_left] ATLANTA, GA – With one game standing between a much anticipated showdown against nationally ranked Notre Dame, Georgia Tech (2-0) left little doubt that it was looking past Tulane (0-2) Saturday afternoon at Bobby Dodd Stadium at Historic Grant Field. Sparked by another efficient showing from quarterback Justin Thomas as well as a rejuvenated defense, the Jackets rolled past their former SEC partner by putting up 65 points and allowing just 10.

Thomas, who has yet to play four complete quarters this year, completed 7 of his 9 pass attempts for 97 yards and 2 touchdowns. He added another touchdown on the ground by way of 81 yards in just 10 carries. Asked about his limited amount of playing time so far this year Thomas replied, “We came out and did what we were supposed to do. As a team we started off fast. Playing a little longer is fun, but if I can get out in the first quarter I wouldn’t mind.”

While Thomas’ statistics and playmaking ability are often the performance du jour, another Georgia Tech quarterback might have stolen today’s show. Newly promoted second string quarterback Matthew Jordan made his debut under center and took advantage of the opportunity, completing his first and only career pass to A-Back TaQuon Marshall for a 35-yard touchdown. He followed that up on his very next snap with a 65-yard touchdown run, knifing through the heart of the Tulane defense.

Jordan, who began the season at A-Back, was forced back to his natural position due to a knee injury earlier in the week to steady back-up Tim Byerly. On his transition back to being a signal-caller Jordan acknowledged, “It was definitely totally different. Like I told Coach Johnson, I’m just here to do whatever the team needs me to do. I just want to play. I was really excited to get out there and get my first reps at quarterback. It was just a good day.”

The defense, which has been much maligned in previous seasons, is not intending to be an afterthought this year behind Head Coach Paul Johnson’s offensive juggernaut. Thru three quarters of play against Tulane, prior to the first string defense leaving the field for good, the Yellow Jackets limited the Green Wave to 4 of 11 on third downs and 172 total yards. The yardage was achieved on 46 plays, translating to a paltry 3.74 yards per play.

While the statistics on both sides of the ball are stellar thru two games, many still wonder about how the team’s performance to-date will translate as the level of competition increases dramatically next week. Asked what he’s learned about this year’s team safety Jamal Golden did not waiver. “It was something we built over the summer. Coming off of last year the team chemistry is there, everybody is fighting for each other, and no matter what happens on the field everybody’s just playing through it.”

Now Georgia Tech can turn its focus to their first road trip of the year and #9 Notre Dame, also 2-0. Despite not playing Notre Dame since 2007, the Jackets have a two competitors familiar with the Fighting Irish and playing in South Bend, Indiana. Coach Paul Johnson, who was previously head coach at Navy, recalled his team’s win over Notre Dame in 2007, “I think we broke a really long streak, and I think I had a really good bonus in my contract. That’s probably what I remember.”

Another with experience is B-Back Patrick Skov, formerly a fullback at Stanford where he faced off against the Irish annually. Asked what advice he advice he could offer his teammates on playing at Notre Dame, Skov asserted, “Pray to Touchdown Jesus. It’s a fun environment to play in. Sometimes the refs get a little frustrating, but that’s out of your control. I’ve got a bad taste in my mouth from last year when we lost on a 4th and 15 scramble, Hail Mary kind of play. Last year is last year, and I’m in a new program on a new team. Hopefully we’ll walk out of there with a win this time.”

While Johnson and Skov were largely tongue and cheek and aiming for laughs, there’s no question the Yellow Jackets will need to take game preparation seriously if they are to pull out a win in one of college football’s historic venues. Early season warm-up games are over. Should the Jackets maintain the focus that earned them victories last year over three top-15 opponents, an Orange Bowl trophy, and two impressive wins so far this year, they will quickly find themselves firmly planted in the discussion of best programs in land.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Now Georgia Tech can turn its focus to their first road trip of the year and #9 Notre Dame, also 2-0. Despite not playing Notre Dame since 2007, the Jackets have a two competitors familiar with the Fighting Irish and playing in South Bend, Indiana. Coach Paul Johnson, who was previously head coach at Navy, recalled his team’s win over Notre Dame in 2007, “I think we broke a really long streak, and I think I had a really good bonus in my contract. That’s probably what I remember.”

Another with experience is B-Back Patrick Skov, formerly a fullback at Stanford where he faced off against the Irish annually. Asked what advice he advice he could offer his teammates on playing at Notre Dame, Skov asserted, “Pray to Touchdown Jesus. It’s a fun environment to play in. Sometimes the refs get a little frustrating, but that’s out of your control. I’ve got a bad taste in my mouth from last year when we lost on a 4th and 15 scramble, Hail Mary kind of play. Last year is last year, and I’m in a new program on a new team. Hopefully we’ll walk out of there with a win this time.”

Nice job and a good get on Skov's ND experience. On the Johnson tape he sounded about as relaxed and comfortable as I have heard from him, and Skov would be an invaluable member of this team if he never played a down. Experienced, cool and mature head on his shoulders.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great article.

Who provides the refs for the ND game? I hope not the Catholic Church. Skov's comment reminds me of UGAg where they are like 42-2 against non-SEC opponents under Richt. Anyone who doesn't think the refs play a large part of close games is crazy.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Jordan's TD should probably have an asterisk. It was hardly through the heart of the Tulane defense since two of them weren't on the field.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Great article.

Who provides the refs for the ND game? I hope not the Catholic Church. Skov's comment reminds me of UGAg where they are like 42-2 against non-SEC opponents under Richt. Anyone who doesn't think the refs play a large part of close games is crazy.
Well, speaking of refs, was I the only one to think that crew Saturday was a disorganized rabble?