Article Jackets Preview: A-Back

gtdrew

Banned
For most schools, previewing the running back position is limited to the 2-3 guys they expect to see significant carries that particular season. At "The Institute," it's not nearly so simple. There are three "back" on the field on any given play, each performing duties not normally expecting of a traditional tailback or fullback. With this installment, we preview the "A-back."

Last year, BJ Bostic asserted himself as the Jacket's most explosive pass catcher and big play threat out of the backfield, with his incendiary pass routes and brilliant runs on toss sweeps and option pitches. Once a liability as a blocker, this past season he showed himself willing, if not adept, at one of Coach Johnson's biggest requirements at the position. My other projected starter, Robbie Godhigh, is a dependable blocker, surefooted runner, and at times equally electric as a reciever. Godhigh is who he is at this point, and may have reached his ceiling as a player. I look for Deon Hill and Tony Zenon to have an increased role in the Jackets offense this year, particularly as slot players in the rumored pistol/shotgun sets.

Starters: R. Godhigh, BJ Bostic.
Backups: D. Hill, T. Zenon
Keep an eye on: Dennis Andrews

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
You forget Synjyn Days & Charles Perkins, I'm pretty sure they will get some significant burn. Probably the most crowded position on the team. Not a fan of this position honestly.

gtdrew

Banned
I think Perkins is gonna find way more success in the pistol/shotgun sets. I profile him more as a true RB. Idk what to think about Synjyn...

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Deon Hill has shown the ability to catch the ball and I expect to see more of him in that role. Dennis Andrews could well be the back that has a breakout season, he has all the physical tools and now has a year under his belt learning the system, knowing what he has to do to get on the field. Bostic is explosive and Godhigh is without peer as a blocker in this group. Perkins, if he is 100%, could be the wild card.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Tech can put 4 folks in the backfield that are 200 lbs plus if the coaches choose to do so. Days, Hill, Sims and Vad. Interesting shoet yardage dilemma for a D coordinator :devil:

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Godhigh is electric and will start the whole season baring injury.

Godhigh had a YPC of 7.9 and 4 rushing TD's versus Orwin's 8.6 and 5. All the other A backs are in the 6.2 YPC range and 1 to 0 TD.

Godhigh also had 15 receptions at 15.1 average yards and 4 reception TDs.

Godhigh had the most total TD's other than Tevin and Vad.

I am going to do a highlight video of Godhigh as some people over look him for his size versus his great performance on the field.

Days is more than in the mix and pushing for starter. I hope he breaks out this year!

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow
We need Perk to come through this year...it would be CRAZY to have an A-back with his size, strength and speed turning the corner on a toss sweep. The DB's eyes would bulge out of their facemasks.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
My personal A back pecking order

Godhigh
Bostic
Days
Hill
Andrews (will move up as year goes on)
Zenon
Perkins

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Godhigh is electric and will start the whole season baring injury.

Godhigh had a YPC of 7.9 and 4 rushing TD's versus Orwin's 8.6 and 5. All the other A backs are in the 6.2 YPC range and 1 to 0 TD.

Godhigh also had 15 receptions at 15.1 average yards and 4 reception TDs.

Godhigh had the most total TD's other than Tevin and Vad.

I am going to do a highlight video of Godhigh as some people over look him for his size versus his great performance on the field.

Days is more than in the mix and pushing for starter. I hope he breaks out this year!

So true, I am not the only Godhigh fan!

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I wouldn't be surprised to see Perkins as a Bback in some games too.

You do realize this isn't high school or peewee football anymore. Perkins is a AB now. Do you really think that CPJ would risk putting Perkins in at BB when he hasn't practiced or played there in a year? You still think Days will play QB?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
You do realize this isn't high school or peewee football anymore. Perkins is a AB now. Do you really think that CPJ would risk putting Perkins in at BB when he hasn't practiced or played there in a year? You still think Days will play QB?

It ain't rocket science bruh, I'm sure he'd be fine. Some players are cross trained you know.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
The BB was Perkins for the taking for the last 2 years. He couldn't take it b/c Lyons, Sims and Laskey were better at BB. Football isn't rocket science"bruh".

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
He was listed as starter last year and then got hurt. He'll be fine at either position, I wouldn't doubt we will see him switch between both at some point.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The BB was Perkins for the taking for the last 2 years. He couldn't take it b/c Lyons, Sims and Laskey were better at BB. Football isn't rocket science"bruh".

Perkins' shoulder injury that required surgery had a little to do with that. I wouldn't count him out, yet, though his best bet to see the field is Aback. The kid is healed and hungry. I'm pullin' for him!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
For most schools, previewing the running back position is limited to the 2-3 guys they expect to see significant carries that particular season. At "The Institute," it's not nearly so simple. There are three "back" on the field on any given play, each performing duties not normally expecting of a traditional tailback or fullback. With this installment, we preview the "A-back."

Last year, BJ Bostic asserted himself as the Jacket's most explosive pass catcher and big play threat out of the backfield, with his incendiary pass routes and brilliant runs on toss sweeps and option pitches. Once a liability as a blocker, this past season he showed himself willing, if not adept, at one of Coach Johnson's biggest requirements at the position. My other projected starter, Robbie Godhigh, is a dependable blocker, surefooted runner, and at times equally electric as a reciever. Godhigh is who he is at this point, and may have reached his ceiling as a player. I look for Deon Hill and Tony Zenon to have an increased role in the Jackets offense this year, particularly as slot players in the rumored pistol/shotgun sets.

Starters: R. Godhigh, BJ Bostic.
Backups: D. Hill, T. Zenon
Keep an eye on: Dennis Andrews

gtdrew, thanks for doing these, but I think you may have confused Godhigh and Bostic in your write-up. Godhigh was the one who established himself as the 2nd A-Back after Orwin in both receptions and running yards and was probably the best blocker after the departure of Roddy Jones.