Jackets pickup Wyoming DL Solomon. Byrd transfer portal

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I hear you but GT has the money. They just pretend they can’t use it. In other words GT hides behind academics to defend their mediocrity. If we were UGA and had decades of mediocrity or 3 straight 3 win seasons you can guarantee they’d be tapping the money like GT has to jump start the program. But, everyone will tell me how GT can’t tap their deep pockets because of “rules” or whatever. It’s all excuses.

Google “Georgia Tech”. Look at the news tab. Of the first 10 news articles the world sees about Georgia Tech - 9 are about athletics and the other is about triplets who just graduated. The point is the only time large masses of people and alum come back to campus is for athletics. No matter what the faculty and admin believe athletics are the face of the school. What’s the first building you see when you follow the signs to Georgia Tech? Use any search engine or look in any newspaper and all you’ll see are athletics. GT just doesn’t get it.
Yeah I find it funny we can spend all the money in the world on a new edge center (whatever that is) but can’t fork any of it up to compete with the big boys in football.

I don’t find it funny btw.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I hear you but GT has the money. They just pretend they can’t use it. In other words GT hides behind academics to defend their mediocrity. If we were UGA and had decades of mediocrity or 3 straight 3 win seasons you can guarantee they’d be tapping the money like GT has to jump start the program. But, everyone will tell me how GT can’t tap their deep pockets because of “rules” or whatever. It’s all excuses.

Google “Georgia Tech”. Look at the news tab. Of the first 10 news articles the world sees about Georgia Tech - 9 are about athletics and the other is about triplets who just graduated. The point is the only time large masses of people and alum come back to campus is for athletics. No matter what the faculty and admin believe athletics are the face of the school. What’s the first building you see when you follow the signs to Georgia Tech? Use any search engine or look in any newspaper and all you’ll see are athletics. GT just doesn’t get it.
Do other universities give huge amounts of money to their athletics programs? My understanding was that athletics were more or less disconnected financially from the actual university. It's our athletics department that is not good at making money. I'd say athletics are the face of the school for SEC/B1G type schools, not really for Tech.

Recleb

Georgia Tech Fan
Do other universities give huge amounts of money to their athletics programs? My understanding was that athletics were more or less disconnected financially from the actual university. It's our athletics department that is not good at making money. I'd say athletics are the face of the school for SEC/B1G type schools, not really for Tech.
The CBS guys that do the Cover 3 Podcast are doing a team-by-team highlight (if you missed the Tech episode you didn't miss a lot). They recently had an episode where the Duke fan referenced an investment the University endowment made that had a huge payoff. Implied it raised what they could offer Elko plus a tripling of the support staff. Decision was made at the university trustee level to share the wealth of the investment payoff. If we do nothing to keep up, we could easily take their place at the bottom of the funding totem pole.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know and I don’t care. What I know is that the largest building on our campus is a sports building. I know that the events that draw the most alumni and bring in the most walking around money are football games. I know the most energy and excitement on campus centers around 6 weekends in the fall. I know the first thing you see on campus if you follow signs to GT are either Bobby Dodd or McCamish. I know that 9 of the top 10 internet search results on Georgia Tech are sports related, mostly football. I know just about every D1 school in our region of the country uses football to enhance their school except GT. Our endowment is easily over a billion. To use some of that to jump start a real program will bring in more money and prestige to GT. Think about Bama. They no longer have to worry about money or recruiting because once you get good packed stadiums bring in cash and recruit themselves. GT would be fine doing what they have been if we were in the PAC 12 where football is lightly regarded. But right now in the heart of the southeast we are perceived as a joke in athletics. And this coming fall everyone will see where we are because the stadium will be empty. If we don’t care then we should just stop. Would GT allow an engineering program to be ranked 75th year after year. Something tells me they wouldn’t.