Jackets pickup Wyoming DL Solomon. Byrd transfer portal

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Guess I can't fault the guy for going closer to 'home'. Still annoying. Can we just end this offseason so we can lock the roster in, see what we got?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Why is this infuriating and ridiculous just now? Where was this angst at all the other players we lost to the higher bidder for the last 4 decades? Just because the vast majority of college football fans had their head in the sand the last 4 decades doesn’t mean the sky is falling now. Welcome to my world since Herschel was bought when I was 10 years old. And the constant parade of bought players from Atlanta who never looked at GT or were outbid by others. But since it happened behind closed doors and under the table no one is upset about what they don’t see even when they know it’s happening.

What is really frustrating is that guys like me who pointed out all the corruption over the years were told its not happening and to just shut up and let the NCAA do their job. Now, that it’s allowed out in the open all of a sudden it’s the end of the world. Listen, Bama doesn’t think it’s over. USC doesn’t think it’s over. They are adapting to the new landscape while GT is doing what GT has done for 50 years which is cry a river and whine instead of dealing with the current landscape. GT football can either take part in the current system or continue the downward spiral. I know the admin loves the current trajectory. They probably already have blueprints for what they can build in place of Bobby Dodd.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Why is this infuriating and ridiculous just now? Where was this angst at all the other players we lost to the higher bidder for the last 4 decades? Just because the vast majority of college football fans had their head in the sand the last 4 decades doesn’t mean the sky is falling now. Welcome to my world since Herschel was bought when I was 10 years old. And the constant parade of bought players from Atlanta who never looked at GT or were outbid by others. But since it happened behind closed doors and under the table no one is upset about what they don’t see even when they know it’s happening.

What is really frustrating is that guys like me who pointed out all the corruption over the years were told its not happening and to just shut up and let the NCAA do their job. Now, that it’s allowed out in the open all of a sudden it’s the end of the world. Listen, Bama doesn’t think it’s over. USC doesn’t think it’s over. They are adapting to the new landscape while GT is doing what GT has done for 50 years which is cry a river and whine instead of dealing with the current landscape. GT football can either take part in the current system or continue the downward spiral. I know the admin loves the current trajectory. They probably already have blueprints for what they can build in place of Bobby Dodd.
I don’t think anyone is arguing that college athletics has always been some squeaky clean, above-board institution... I’m certainly not... but what’s happening today is absolutely brazen, ridiculous and infuriating. Maybe it’s ridiculous enough to actually move the needle for the good. We can only hope...

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think anyone is arguing that college athletics has always been some squeaky clean, above-board institution... I’m certainly not... but what’s happening today is absolutely brazen, ridiculous and infuriating. Maybe it’s ridiculous enough to actually move the needle for the good. We can only hope...
But it’s not. It’s exactly what has been going on already. Now, it’s just done in the open because the players don’t have to hide it. For instance this current guy. This isn’t the first time GT got a commitment and then the recruit flipped to somewhere else and we never heard about it. The only difference is we saw it play out in the open. That doesn’t mean it’s any worse than all those guys who secretly committed then flipped. What if I told you Cam Newton had committed to GT after he left Florida. And then a few days later Auburn offered straight cash so he flipped. But it all happened without us knowing so none of you felt any angst. Or what if I told you CJ Spiller was a GT secret commit until Clemson offered his family a house and cash. If you knew that I assume you would be as infuriated as you are today. None of those scenarios happened as far as I know but dozens of others did that we never knew about. Money is as old as time.

This has been happening the past several decades but it was done thru bagmen and in Wal-Mart parking lots in every small town in the south because the UGA’s, Bama‘s of the world know how to launder without getting caught. Now, that the players don’t have to hide it’s all done on Instagram and suddenly it’s infuriating. What GT should have done is had the guy register for classes the day he committed so he’d be tied to us. Right now there are no such things as a commitment so no use losing sleep over any of it.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
But it’s not. It’s exactly what has been going on already. Now, it’s just done in the open because the players don’t have to hide it. For instance this current guy. This isn’t the first time GT got a commitment and then the recruit flipped to somewhere else and we never heard about it. The only difference is we saw it play out in the open. That doesn’t mean it’s any worse than all those guys who secretly committed then flipped. What if I told you Cam Newton had committed to GT after he left Florida. And then a few days later Auburn offered straight cash so he flipped. But it all happened without us knowing so none of you felt any angst. Or what if I told you CJ Spiller was a GT secret commit until Clemson offered his family a house and cash. If you knew that I assume you would be as infuriated as you are today. None of those scenarios happened as far as I know but dozens of others did that we never knew about. Money is as old as time.

This has been happening the past several decades but it was done thru bagmen and in Wal-Mart parking lots in every small town in the south because the UGA’s, Bama‘s of the world know how to launder without getting caught. Now, that the players don’t have to hide it’s all done on Instagram and suddenly it’s infuriating. What GT should have done is had the guy register for classes the day he committed so he’d be tied to us. Right now there are no such things as a commitment so no use losing sleep over any of it.
I get it... and I don’t really disagree. No need for fantastical fictional hypotheticals... I’m not saying it wasn’t happening 10, 20 or 40 years ago. I’m not saying the NCAA or the colleges did a good job policing it. I’m not even saying that they didn’t know about it... but the fact that it is happening in plain sight for all to see with the “blessing” of all those who claimed to have the integrity of education and amateur athletics at the forefront of all they do IS a new level of ridiculous. They say sunlight is the best disinfectant. I can only hope that everyone involved is completely exposed for the fraud they’ve been perpetrating. I hope it’s ultimately good for college athletics but for a lot of programs, I suspect its going to implode before it improves.