Article Jackets Maimed in Miami

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
[float_left]
georgia_tech_vs_miami_0062_thumb.jpg
[/float_left] MIAMI GARDENS, FL – When it rains, it pours. Turnovers, injuries, and the weather itself formed the perfect storm of misfortune for the Yellow Jackets Saturday at Sun Life Stadium. The end result was a 38-21 drubbing at the hands of the Miami Hurricanes.

Saturday’s loss marks the end of Georgia Tech’s ACC slate, one that ended with a lone victory over Florida State. Despite remaining competitive in nearly all of those games, Saturday stood out as one of the exceptions.

Let’s start with the turnovers. The Jackets turned the ball over four times to Miami’s none. One of those Tech turnovers was scooped up and returned for a touchdown. And it could have been worse as Tech put the ball on the ground nine total times, recovering seven of their own.

Said Head Coach Paul Johnson following the game, “We don’t value the ball very much. Four turnovers to none, you’re not going to win many games.”

On to the injuries. Perhaps the most significant development was the departure of starting quarterback Justin Thomas following the first series of the game, a touchdown scoring drive to give the Jackets an early lead.

“I think he just hit his head on the ground,” said Johnson. “He didn’t have a concussion. He hurt himself when he hit the ground.” Thomas’ readiness to play in next Saturday’s finale is uncertain.

Last was the weather. A sunny start to the game turned into downpour and lightning delay as ominous as the Yellow Jackets’ play.

At the end of the day we’re looking at a Tech team depleted of players and void of consistency in all phases of the game. The consequence is the perfect storm of a 2015 season with one game to play.

With all that has gone awry, a win in that final game can cure a lot of ills and provide a silver lining to the season’s surprising storyline. Up next are the Georgia Bulldogs, a team the Jackets surprised in 2014 in one of the greatest games in the rivalry’s history.

This year the return of a few key players could go a long way as would crisper play. “I’d love to be able to play a game where we didn’t kill ourselves with turnovers,” said Johnson. “And we put an offensive performance and a defensive performance together for three or four quarters and see what happens.”

Perhaps it will happen. Maybe the Jackets are due. Regardless we are approaching Thanksgiving weekend and all Yellow Jackets will agree – it is time to rain on the Bulldogs’ parade.

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
This has been a painful season, but these kids don't seem to ever quit. For that, I am very proud of them. Doesn't seem like the fans have completely given up either. Ready for the season to be over, but win the last one and things will certainly be trending in the right direction...

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
You're around them more than the rest of us. I hope the team isn't getting down with the lack of results. They haven't been far from any of the games. A bounce here or there. Next year with the experience, I am hoping things get better...