Article Jackets Knocked Out in Clean, Old Fashioned Hate

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
[figure="align: left"]
Governors-Cup-2017-225x300.jpg
[figcap]The Governor's Cup[/figcap][/figure]ATLANTA, GA – Tech fans, this one will be short. It’s as tough to write about this game as as it is to continue reading or hearing about it.

We lost. We lost in all three phases of the game – offense, defense and special teams. There should be no confusion about the outcome. Georgia Tech was outplayed and outcoached, according to head coach Paul Johnson.

There’s not much else to say. There’s not enough lipstick to disguise the pig today.

Was there a silver lining? No, not from today’s thrashing.

So how did we arrive here this year? That part is unclear.

What is clear is that no one’s expectations were met – not the players nor coaches. Said Johnson, “This [season] was disappointing to me. This season we had a chance – ‘woulda, shoulda, coulda’ – you can’t play that game but we had a chance for this to be a much better year than it turned out.”

The odds of backing into a bowl game are slim to none. Said Johnson of his team’s prospects, “I don’t think there’s any uncertainty.”

The season ended with a thud, and I will take the opportunity to end this article the same way.

P.S. Go Jackets.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Without CPJ,we would have had much more heartache. With the lack of support our program receives from the school, The Alumni Accoc (None from Roll Call), and the high brow student body, we have done well over the CPJ era. And I love the offense, not the Roof defense.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Without CPJ,we would have had much more heartache. With the lack of support our program receives from the school, The Alumni Accoc (None from Roll Call), and the high brow student body, we have done well over the CPJ era. And I love the offense, not the Roof defense.

Heartache and GT football are synonymous.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
That was a Clean, Old Fashioned ***-Kickin'. Frankly, with the HUGE disparity of talent and resources between our two programs, Tech's wins are more often just the result of flukes or the vagaries of odd bounces. We will never recruit our way out of this hole. Having Clemson as a permanent ACC crossover game virtually guarantees an ACC loss each year and having Georgia as our "rivalry" game virtually guarantees another loss each year. We probably can't do anything with the Clemson crossover game, but, recognizing the fact that 2 and 3-stars typically won't overpower 4 and 5 star athletes, maybe it's time to discontinue the Tech-Georgia game. We were at a disadvantage yesterday at pretty much EVERY position. Maybe we should create a new rivalry game, say against Georgia State. We could call it "The Battle of Atlanta". And, before you traditionalists, who love the year-long, gut-wrenching feeling of hoping against hope only to get beaten usually and curb-stomped occasionally, diss the idea, think how you would be feeling today, if we were closing out our seasons with a team more like our own...

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
That was a Clean, Old Fashioned ***-Kickin'. Frankly, with the HUGE disparity of talent and resources between our two programs, Tech's wins are more often just the result of flukes or the vagaries of odd bounces. We will never recruit our way out of this hole. Having Clemson as a permanent ACC crossover game virtually guarantees an ACC loss each year and having Georgia as our "rivalry" game virtually guarantees another loss each year. We probably can't do anything with the Clemson crossover game, but, recognizing the fact that 2 and 3-stars typically won't overpower 4 and 5 star athletes, maybe it's time to discontinue the Tech-Georgia game. We were at a disadvantage yesterday at pretty much EVERY position. Maybe we should create a new rivalry game, say against Georgia State. We could call it "The Battle of Atlanta". And, before you traditionalists, who love the year-long, gut-wrenching feeling of hoping against hope only to get beaten usually and curb-stomped occasionally, diss the idea, think how you would be feeling today, if we were closing out our seasons with a team more like our own...

I agree that we are, compared to a number of teams on our schedule and elsewhere in FBS, underfunded and outmanned on the field. I also agree we can’t compete in recruiting without changing a few things, including the coaching staff. But to say “we will never recruit our way out of this hole” is to say we’ve got a problem that Ga Tech cannot and will not solve. I don’t believe that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Paul Johnson is our coach BECAUSE we cannot recruit our way out of this hole. His "quirky" offense - with all its misdirection, cut-blocking, etc. - tries to beat superior talent with less talent. It is easier to take out the feet of a bigger, stronger lineman than it is to stand him up and out-muscle him. There are too few superior student athletes out there and the really good athletes have been told since grade school they will play for millions on Sundays. They want to enjoy the girls and glide through college in Parks and Recreation, not struggle through calculus. So, if you think we can come up with the fairy dust to sprinkle in the Georgia Tech experience and start getting enough of those game-changing athletes that can stand toe-to-toe with teams like Georgia and Clemson, I say, "hallelujah and bring it on", but I have been waiting for that since 1971 and I am still waiting. Respectfully, by the time we achieve that result through recruiting, the few remaining Tech fans will be dead or long gone.