Jackets have fifth best secondary through five weeks

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I agree that ypg isn't the greatest stat. But there are definitely some positives early on as others have noted, not the least of which was our relative performance in making it hard on Trevor Lawrence. This, despite not 1 sack.

upload_2019-9-30_21-52-20.png

Deleted member 2897

Not to put a wet blanket on this but. Teams haven't needed to throw against us. If you are up 20 you run the ball. Our secondary has played very well but with our run defense being so bad this stat's a bit misleading.

Our offense is averaging 9 points per game against FBS opponents. Our secondary (and defense overall) is doing amazing considering how much time they have to spend on the field.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
well, like all stats they can be misleading--as was said Temp didn't pass because they DIDN'T NEED TO, nor did Cit, nor others really
also--the DBs are "aggressive" seemingly maybe in passing but they sure weren't vs run against Cit on those pitches, like they had never seen the TO before
I was talking about aggressive coverage by our corners. The only thing I can control is my attitude, so I'm trying to stay positive. Keep talking about that Citadel game if it makes you feel better though. There's plenty of room for improvement in the secondary - starting with giving up the edge on a couple of critical plays against Temple.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I agree that ypg isn't the greatest stat. But there are definitely some positives early on as others have noted, not the least of which was our relative performance in making it hard on Trevor Lawrence. This, despite not 1 sack.

View attachment 6832
I have to laugh at the argument that Lawrence is "struggling" this year, when we are part of the reason for that. Granted, one of those picks was at the end of the half and he just threw it up for grabs, but Swilling made a great play on the first one.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
thanks for sharing this. I've noticed the difference.

I've watched
Our offense is averaging 9 points per game against FBS opponents. Our secondary (and defense overall) is doing amazing considering how much time they have to spend on the field.
And when u add the lack of pressure on the opposing qb - it seems really good.
Hope don't have a board melt down when we get burned for a long td pass.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I was talking about aggressive coverage by our corners. The only thing I can control is my attitude, so I'm trying to stay positive. Keep talking about that Citadel game if it makes you feel better though. There's plenty of room for improvement in the secondary - starting with giving up the edge on a couple of critical plays against Temple.

that's a WEIRD comment that I "feel better" about the cit game? Its really hard to feel almost anything but SICK about losing maybe the worse game in 25 yrs.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
that's a WEIRD comment that I "feel better" about the cit game? Its really hard to feel almost anything but SICK about losing maybe the worse game in 25 yrs.
Sorry, but that’s not what I meant. What I meant was keep talking about that game IF it makes you feel better to drag it back up. This thread isn’t about our run defense. It’s about improvement in our pass defense.