Article Jackets Brought the Juice to Tallahassee

• Highlight

Jackets Brought the Juice to Tallahassee

Courtesy of ACC Digital Network

A post-mortem following yesterday’s wild victory for the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (1-0, 1-0) over the Florida State Seminoles (0-1, 0-1), starting with my overall takeaway.

We are an improved team.  We are not a good team, yet.

Based on Saturday’s performance, both the national media narrative and the Vegas narrative are likely to change going forward.  That is, the ceiling for this year’s Yellow Jackets squad is higher than most expected in the preseason.  Picked last out of 15 teams in the conference by the ACC media and pegged as a 13-point underdog by Vegas in the opener, the Jackets effectively shattered those expectations one game into the season following a 16-13 win on the road in Doak Campbell Stadium.

Let’s break down some of the highlights and opportunities for improvement, of which there are more than are included here.

What Went Well

• Quarterback Jeff Sims

What more can you say about the grit and poise out of the true freshman from Florida? Originally a Florida State commit and allegedly asked to look elsewhere by new Seminoles Head Coach Mike Norvell, Sims played up to his Elite 11 credentials and then some in a redemption game of sorts.  Connecting on 24 of 35 of his passes (68.5%) for 277 yards, along with 64 yards on the ground, Sims stat line by itself was a good one for his first collegiate game reps.

More than that, the intangibles showed up.  He showed above average awareness in the pocket, and above average ability to keep plays alive, and a selflessness to give up his body for the extra yards to extend drives.  There were absolutely freshman mistakes, some of which showed up in the stat line and others where he was more fortunate.  However the body of work as compared to that of a typical true freshman suggests the Jackets got a good one.

• Offensive Line Improvement

Much was made of the NFL talent on the Seminoles’ defensive line.  There probably aren’t many Yellow Jackets who would start for the Seminoles defense based on recruiting rankings and next level projections.  In the end the Yellow Jackets offensive line, now in year 2 under line coach Brent Key, conceded just one sack. The Seminoles generated six tackles for loss (TFL), some of which occurred on the perimeter on failed jet sweeps and wide receiver screens.

The offensive line can lay claim to the most decisive improvement for one position group from year 1 to year 2.  Credit goes to Offensive Coordinator Dave Patenaude and Quarterback Jeff Sims as well.  The Jackets’ offensive strategy appeared designed to get the ball out quickly and exploit the short and intermediate game, rarely taking the time required for shots downfield, and Sims was masterful at avoiding pressure when plays inevitably broke down.

• Defense Locked Down After Early Miscues

After the Seminoles’ opening possession ended in an all too familiar easy touchdown drive, there were likely few Tech fans who would have predicted that the Jackets would yield just 6 points the rest of the way.  That is exactly what Defensive Coordinator Andrew Thacker’s defense did.  The defense was disruptive and forced 4 turnovers (1 on downs).  They gave up just 3.8 yards per play and sacked Seminoles Quarterback James Blackman three times.  Yes, this was a beleaguered and much maligned Florida State offense, but how many times in recent past have we seen those same offenses move through the Jackets’ defense with ease?

• Confidence and Swagger

At the end of the day, fair or not, wins and losses often affect perception of the components as much as anything else.  In order to win though, one team needs to be the better team for 4 quarters, and that is exactly what the Jackets proved on Saturday.  The pregame ESPN match-up predictor suggested that the Jackets had a 24% chance of winning.  The in-game predictor suggested that the Jackets were underdogs into the 4th quarter, up until Defensive End Curtis Ryans’ strip sack of Blackman. At no time did it appear that Tech lost focus.  “Competition is King” reared its beautiful face until the final whistle.

Room For Improvement

• Special Teams

There’s not much more that needs to be said that wasn’t readily observed.  The Jackets struggled with field goal protection, field goal kicking and in the kickoff return game.  Even famed Punter Pressley Harvin had a misfire, but past performance suggests his first punt attempt late in the 2nd quarter (you read that right) was an aberration.  Nowhere to go but up from here.  Kudos to true freshman kicker Jude Kelley for delivering when it mattered most and hitting the game winner.

• Penalties

Eight (8) flags for 80 yards just isn’t going to get the job done against most ACC teams, especially on the road.  While penalties rarely come at good times, one could argue that the timing of yesterday’s hiccups nearly handed the game to the Seminoles.  The Jackets moved the ball with relative ease between the 20’s, however ill-timed personal fouls created headwinds for an offense that is still trying to find and confirm its identity.  The missed field goals might not have been attempted at all if not for the Jackets’ miscues.  The good news is the penalties can be learning opportunities, which are much easier to swallow when complemented with a win.

• Quality of Opponent

Simply put, Florida State is not a great team.  Despite their talent and program history, the ‘Noles were average last year, finishing 6-7 (4-4) under since-fired Head Coach Willie Taggart.  Now they’re going through a transition of their own and we caught them during their first live game reps under new Head Coach Mike Norvell.  Their quarterback, Blackman, has struggled through a handful of different offensive coordinators to the point where any quarterback’s head would be spinning.  Then the program went through an offseason without a full install of their new offensive and defensive schemes due to Covid-19, along with off-field drama among the coaches and players.  Putting it mildly, it was a great time for the Jackets to catch the Seminoles.

Closing Thoughts

Restating my post in the game 1 preview thread:

My hypothesis is that Week 1 will be sloppy in CFB. Whether that’s due to new practice schedules, revised team protocols (e.g., less contact), or off-field distractions/priorities, there are a variety of reasons this season and especially week 1 may not match expectations when compared to other years, regardless of roster talent and coaching. It might also mean some teams inadvertently appear to “click” more than they otherwise will, whether that’s due to random chance or an under-prepared opponent.

What does that mean for my week 1 expectations? I’m mentally prepared that anything can happen. And the results may not be indicative of future performance. I just hope we’re the benefactors of the unpredictability.”

May I emphasize “the results may not be indicative of future performance”?  Tech won and Tech improved.  It is hard to demand much more than that.  But as the areas for improvement suggest, we have a long way to go before we can say Tech has arrived.  The good news is there are many signs of hope and potential for continued improvement.  The speed at which the Jackets realize that improvement will go a long way toward determining their record in the 2020 season.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Best thing about this win is it weren't no fluke. We took three blocked kicks, 2 redzone it's, short-handed D, on the road, 2 weather delays, and came out with the W.

All kinds of perseverance or dare I say .... juice

supa-hot-fire.gif

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Looking back, this game honestly shouldn't have been close. Take away the ST blunders itself. score becomes 23-13. Take away the two turnovers, I think both of those drives we were moving the ball so effectively we coulda scored touchdowns. 37-13. And since i gave back bad throws, lets get rid of the one interception on their side and lets say they scored a TD, make it 37-20.

We outgained them by 150 yards and our guys consistently were making plays.

All that aside, my favorite point is how big we look. I remember facing any big name program a few years back and we just look so small compared to them (especially in the trenches). We honestly looked bigger in the skill positions by a lot, and were matching them in size in the trenches. Lew is worth every penny we paid him and he deserves a raise.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Looking back, this game honestly shouldn't have been close. Take away the ST blunders itself. score becomes 23-13. Take away the two turnovers, I think both of those drives we were moving the ball so effectively we coulda scored touchdowns. 37-13. And since i gave back bad throws, lets get rid of the one interception on their side and lets say they scored a TD, make it 37-20.

We outgained them by 150 yards and our guys consistently were making plays.

All that aside, my favorite point is how big we look. I remember facing any big name program a few years back and we just look so small compared to them (especially in the trenches). We honestly looked bigger in the skill positions by a lot, and were matching them in size in the trenches. Lew is worth every penny we paid him and he deserves a raise.
They had several big dropped passes, one of which likely would have been a TD. They also dropped an easy pick 6. If you are taking away blunders then you also have to take away their fumbles. Honestly both teams were pretty sloppy. We just got it together when it mattered.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Will we get any information on the status of guys that are injured or dealing with quarantine or other this week, or will it continue to be very, very secret? I don't care if they use the term, upper body or lower body injury or no term, but just say in or out, but I sure like getting the updates and knowing sooner than the game time.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
It hasn't been mentioned much but the big weather delay after fsu rolled down field for TD REALLY helped us get back together I believe.It also rested our thin DL a bit.
Even if we hadlost this game,which could have been easy, it was a BIG improvement overall

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Will we get any information on the status of guys that are injured or dealing with quarantine or other this week, or will it continue to be very, very secret? I don't care if they use the term, upper body or lower body injury or no term, but just say in or out, but I sure like getting the updates and knowing sooner than the game time.
I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
A few of my thoughts on your post:

1) the defense was ok. Not the best defensive game ever played, but with 3 starters out, they played more than serviceable. Blackman wasn’t that bad. The D did a good job of getting pressure, and FSU’s OL has injuries and they couldn’t account for the different pressure packages we brought. The secondary got beat over the top more than a couple times, but Blackman overthrew all of those balls that would’ve been huge plays. Our intermediate pass coverage was very good, but we were not very good on underneath passes, and like I said we got beat over the top a lot. Was pleasantly surprised with the amount of pressure we got though, even against a below average OL. With Clayton, Swilling, Carpenter, and Chimedza all playing the majority of the game, the defense will look much better.
Defense score: B

2. Sims looked very good. I’m not sure why you think he was just “ok.” The dude totaled 340 yards today, and rushed for 64. Only 16 fewer than your arbitrary amount for getting other defense’s attention on covering him on the ground. He did an extremely good job avoiding pressure, and ran for multiple first downs when there was nothing downfield. He made a few dangerous throws while under pressure, but that’s to be expected out of a freshman. His first interception wasn’t a bad decision, it was more so just a bad throw. The safety was underneath, and the CB was beat over the top. If he gets that ball over the safety it’s an easy TD. He just underthrew it badly and didn’t give our guy a chance. The second INT was just a bad decision all around.
Sims score: A-

3. Jordan Mason is a very bad man, we all knew that of course, but the rest of the country will know that as well by the time Mason is done at Tech. Griffin looked much better as he got the ball a lot more. He hit holes quick, and made something out of nothing a few times. With those 2 guys ahead of him, Gibbs is going to have to be really impressive to get the rock, which I don’t doubt he is, but obviously something weird was going on with him today.
Backfield grade: A

4. Special teams bad
Special teams grade: D+ (the Kelley game winner is the only reason it gets a +)

5.The OL played great today, considering where they were coming from last year. Only 1 sack allowed against a DLine who is widely considered one of the best in the country. A couple of illegal men downfield, a hands to face, and false starts were really the only blemishes on the OL today. Their play was outstanding.
OL grade: A

A very solid, and very encouraging game. But, our special teams has to be better if we’re going to win more than couple of games. Left 7 points on the field solely in blocked kicks. Could’ve very well cost us the game. Also, we can’t keep starting drives inside our own 15 after kickoffs. If we don’t have a return guy that can get it to the 25, just fair catch it. Those 10 yards will cost us points and wins as well down the road. Looking forward to cheering on the UNDEFEATED Jackets next week.
1. I agree on the D, including the letter grade. They won the game for us. Oth, like I said, Blackmon isn't very good, especially on his long throws. If he was we'd be singing a different song today. One problem = we only forced 3 punts. Still, 3 sacks and 6 TFLs is pretty good.

2. Nah. I'd give him a solid B. Good grade for a frosh QB, of course. He did well in avoiding pressure and he made the intermediate throws. But … he also cost us 7 points and it could have easily been 14. He has to stop that. Reg had the same problem; he tended to throw the ball into coverage too often. (In fact, Sims reminded me a lot of Reg in his first games.) Btw, that first interception was.a bad throw because Sims was being pursued and threw the ball in desperation. He should have ate the loss. He is good at avoiding the rush, but most of his runs weren't designed. He ran when the blocking broke down. What we need to do, imho, is put the fear of him running into our opponents's hearts. That'll make every part of the run game work better. I watched several games yesterday where the QBs weren't even thinking about running on double options. Needless to say, the opposing Ds had little trouble with that.

3. Agree, but I'd give the run game a B- overall. Run blocking wasn't all that great and we didn't do enough with Sims to distract the D from Mason. I expect that'll change. And, sorry, I knew it was Malachi Carter. He and Camp were very good yesterday. I thought having Camp back would make the intermediate passing better and it appears I was right.

4. Complete agreement. The only saving grace = FSU's special teams were easily as bad as ours. If they hadn't been we'd have lost for sure. This can't continue.

5. Surely you jest. The OL gets a C+. Why did we only allow one sack? Because Sims was good at avoiding the rush. We gave up 6 TFLs too. Decent work on some series, then we'd look like last year. And, as you say, too many dumb penalties. But they'll get better; unit play and all that. (I noticed that the guts on Tech OLs now look like they did in Galiey's day. Ah, well. If all you're going to do is waddle into place and hold, I suppose that works.)

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

Not getting them up, but still confused on why we don't get some earlier "generic" information. I guess the rules have changed - seems like we used to have to give them a "rating" like "probable" or "doubtful", etc., but that doesn't happen anymore. I am assuming that Chim and Swilling were most likely related to the virus, but of course, we will never know. :)

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t want any info released. We don’t need to know nor do our opponents. Collins system is predicated on winning with the guys you have. I love seeing 25 plus defensive players playing. I love seeing 10 different guys catch a pass. I loved seeing Smith at RB. His legs were fresh. We heard about Sims dynamism in practice and the reports regarding Gibbs are even better. What I like is this - for all the bluster and marketing by Collins we can trust what he says because he’s been spot on so far. I remember the way he pumped up Coach Lew as “the best in the country”. I rolled my eyes. But I’ll be darn if we weren’t more physical and fresher in the 4th.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I rewatched the game. Some observations:

Our D was the one attacking in the backfield and creating turnovers. (Our turnovers were our rookie QB still getting adjusted).

I’m so excited about Sims. He’s so effortless. Reminds me of Shawn Jones. Since this season doesn’t count for eligibility we can potentially see him for 4 more years. Imagine where his ceiling is.

Our secondary was the one dishing out the hard hits.

Our skill position players were the ones bursting free and looked the most athletic. And we have have an elite next level athlete who hasn’t seen the field yet.

Our D line was the one being disruptive.

Offensive game plan was solid (thank goodness).

Victory formation on the road - GT was one of two ACC teams to get a road win to start the season (GT and Clemson).

Its great to have football back.

/

Deleted member 2897

Courtesy of ACC Digital Network

A post-mortem following yesterday’s wild victory for the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (1-0, 1-0) over the Florida State Seminoles (0-1, 0-1), starting with my overall takeaway.

We are an improved team. We are not a good team, yet.

Based on Saturday’s performance, both the national media narrative and the Vegas narrative are likely to change going forward. That is, the ceiling for this year’s Yellow Jackets squad is higher than most expected in the preseason. Picked last out of 15 teams in the conference by the ACC media and pegged as a 13-point underdog by Vegas in the opener, the Jackets effectively shattered those expectations one game into the season following a 16-13 win on the road in Doak Campbell Stadium.

Let’s break down some of the highlights and opportunities for improvement, of which there are more than are included here.

What Went Well

• Quarterback Jeff Sims

What more can you say about the grit and poise out of the true freshman from Florida? Originally a Florida State commit and allegedly asked to look elsewhere by new Seminoles Head Coach Mike Norvell, Sims played up to his Elite 11 credentials and then some in a redemption game of sorts. Connecting on 24 of 35 of his passes (68.5%) for 277 yards, along with 64 yards on the ground, Sims stat line by itself was a good one for his first collegiate game reps.

More than that, the intangibles showed up. He showed above average awareness in the pocket, and above average ability to keep plays alive, and a selflessness to give up his body for the extra yards to extend drives. There were absolutely freshman mistakes, some of which showed up in the stat line and others where he was more fortunate. However the body of work as compared to that of a typical true freshman suggests the Jackets got a good one.

• Offensive Line Improvement

Much was made of the NFL talent on the Seminoles’ defensive line. There probably aren’t many Yellow Jackets who would start for the Seminoles defense based on recruiting rankings and next level projections. In the end the Yellow Jackets offensive line, now in year 2 under line coach Brent Key, conceded just one sack. The Seminoles generated six tackles for loss (TFL), some of which occurred on the perimeter on failed jet sweeps and wide receiver screens.

The offensive line can lay claim to the most decisive improvement for one position group from year 1 to year 2. Credit goes to Offensive Coordinator Dave Patenaude and Quarterback Jeff Sims as well. The Jackets’ offensive strategy appeared designed to get the ball out quickly and exploit the short and intermediate game, rarely taking the time required for shots downfield, and Sims was masterful at avoiding pressure when plays inevitably broke down.

• Defense Locked Down After Early Miscues

After the Seminoles’ opening possession ended in an all too familiar easy touchdown drive, there were likely few Tech fans who would have predicted that the Jackets would yield just 6 points the rest of the way. That is exactly what Defensive Coordinator Andrew Thacker’s defense did. The defense was disruptive and forced 4 turnovers (1 on downs). They gave up just 3.8 yards per play and sacked Seminoles Quarterback James Blackman three times. Yes, this was a beleaguered and much maligned Florida State offense, but how many times in recent past have we seen those same offenses move through the Jackets’ defense with ease?

• Confidence and Swagger

At the end of the day, fair or not, wins and losses often affect perception of the components as much as anything else. In order to win though, one team needs to be the better team for 4 quarters, and that is exactly what the Jackets proved on Saturday. The pregame ESPN match-up predictor suggested that the Jackets had a 24% chance of winning. The in-game predictor suggested that the Jackets were underdogs into the 4th quarter, up until Defensive End Curtis Ryans’ strip sack of Blackman. At no time did it appear that Tech lost focus. “Competition is King” reared its beautiful face until the final whistle.

Room For Improvement

• Special Teams

There’s not much more that needs to be said that wasn’t readily observed. The Jackets struggled with field goal protection, field goal kicking and in the kickoff return game. Even famed Punter Pressley Harvin had a misfire, but past performance suggests his first punt attempt late in the 2nd quarter (you read that right) was an aberration. Nowhere to go but up from here. Kudos to true freshman kicker Jude Kelley for delivering when it mattered most and hitting the game winner.

• Penalties

Eight (8) flags for 80 yards just isn’t going to get the job done against most ACC teams, especially on the road. While penalties rarely come at good times, one could argue that the timing of yesterday’s hiccups nearly handed the game to the Seminoles. The Jackets moved the ball with relative ease between the 20’s, however ill-timed personal fouls created headwinds for an offense that is still trying to find and confirm its identity. The missed field goals might not have been attempted at all if not for the Jackets’ miscues. The good news is the penalties can be learning opportunities, which are much easier to swallow when complemented with a win.

• Quality of Opponent

Simply put, Florida State is not a great team. Despite their talent and program history, the ‘Noles were average last year, finishing 6-7 (4-4) under since-fired Head Coach Willie Taggart. Now they’re going through a transition of their own and we caught them during their first live game reps under new Head Coach Mike Norvell. Their quarterback, Blackman, has struggled through a handful of different offensive coordinators to the point where any quarterback’s head would be spinning. Then the program went through an offseason without a full install of their new offensive and defensive schemes due to Covid-19, along with off-field drama among the coaches and players. Putting it mildly, it was a great time for the Jackets to catch the Seminoles.

Closing Thoughts

Restating my post in the game 1 preview thread:

My hypothesis is that Week 1 will be sloppy in CFB. Whether that's due to new practice schedules, revised team protocols (e.g., less contact), or off-field distractions/priorities, there are a variety of reasons this season and especially week 1 may not match expectations when compared to other years, regardless of roster talent and coaching. It might also mean some teams inadvertently appear to "click" more than they otherwise will, whether that's due to random chance or an under-prepared opponent.

What does that mean for my week 1 expectations? I'm mentally prepared that anything can happen. And the results may not be indicative of future performance. I just hope we're the benefactors of the unpredictability.”

May I emphasize “the results may not be indicative of future performance”? Tech won and Tech improved. It is hard to demand much more than that. But as the areas for improvement suggest, we have a long way to go before we can say Tech has arrived. The good news is there are many signs of hope and potential for continued improvement. The speed at which the Jackets realize that improvement will go a long way toward determining their record in the 2020 season.

Whatbis your definition of a good team? What if we went 6-5 this year - would that be a “good“ team?

Deleted member 2897

Last year against Clemson was a ritual sacrifice. Our OL last year wasn’t nearly as physically strong as this one, against one of the best—probably THE best DL in the country. The team prepped for that game, but Clemson’s third string could start on most ACC teams. It’s not Clemson’s first string that is brutal, but having two more first strings after the first string that’s really brutal. That game was about getting crushed through physical superiority.
This year, our OL is bigger and stronger, and while they didn’t push FSU’s DL around, they held their own well enough to make a solid pocket—and that’s something I haven’t seen in years. FSU’s DL is good, and were hell for us to deal with. I think our OL played a better game than we think.
—-
We need more depth and speed at linebacker. That was showing up in special teams. But not only did we get a win, we’re showing potential.

Last year, the majority of Clemson’s 1st string defense was still playing on the fourth quarter.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
How can we not enjoy that win. Last season was long and difficult to watch. We still dont really know how good or bad FSU really is yet. We know we are better than last year and beat a team with good athletes in their stadium. A lot to be hopeful for this year but some of us remember Curry beating Bama first game and then losing 10 straight. Get a win over UCF and I'm a believer. Need to stay healthy in the lines.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Whatbis your definition of a good team? What if we went 6-5 this year - would that be a “good“ team?
THe adjective I'd use for that record is same one I used to describe FSU's record in 2019 - "average". That is still leaps and bounds ahead of what we were last year and exceeds many preseason expectations.

"Good" for me would be decisively better than .500 ball, so I guess 7-4 by this year's # of games and quality of our schedule. We still have the opportunity and potential to become a good team, but a lot of things have to come together still. And a little bit of luck in avoiding key injuries.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
Seguira has another article out. He wrote nice facts about the offensive line. He also noted that in FSU’s first two drives, we gave up 6.9 yards per play, and then 3 yards per play for the rest of the game.
I know it wasn't intentional, but everyone please show the man some respect and spell his name right. Our really really good beat writer's name is Ken SUGIURA.