J Howell Football Pre-Season Rankings

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2019.htm

We are at 44th. About right as I posted elswhere. Pre-season rankings are not reliable (i.e. high r squared), especially with a new coach and system.

What is interesting is five other ACC teams are together with us. Which leads Clemson to have a weak SoS at .592 regular season. They will probably need to win out to get to the CFB playoffs, including ACC Championship game.

One nice thing is that UGAg has a really tough SoS at .729 so they won't be able to skate through this year. Someone else can look, but I bet their home/away is not favorable.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the list this feels way more accurate than the nonsense I’ve seen picking us to finish last in the conference. I think many are making far too big a deal out of the shift away from the 3O and that we’re going to be our typical middle of the road team this year...5-7 wins

After Clemson we have a really good chance to win four in a row. Then things get interesting. If we do that I just don’t see us losing the last 7

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Six ACC teams essentially tied at 40 - 45. I think that's pretty much accurate, though I don't think that either Miami or NCSU will end up as high on the stalk as he has them here. But, as Nuke points out, pre-season ratings aren't very predictive of post-season results. Let's hope we do better. We'll start finding out soon enough.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2019.htm

We are at 44th. About right as I posted elswhere. Pre-season rankings are not reliable (i.e. high r squared), especially with a new coach and system.

What is interesting is five other ACC teams are together with us. Which leads Clemson to have a weak SoS at .592 regular season. They will probably need to win out to get to the CFB playoffs, including ACC Championship game.

One nice thing is that UGAg has a really tough SoS at .729 so they won't be able to skate through this year. Someone else can look, but I bet their home/away is not favorable.

The mutts play at: Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Auburn, and GT. Their OOC is Murry State, Arkansas State, Notre Dame, and GT. Clemsons OOC is Charlotte, Wofford, Texas A&M, and USCe. The mutts play UF, Auburn, ND, and T A&M who are all ranked. Clemson plays T A&M and Syracuse who are ranked. Auburn is ranked, but playing a freshman QB so people have questions about them. UF is ranked, but people have questions about them.

I can see that the mutt's schedule looks tougher, but it doesn't look a great amount tougher than Clemson's.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I think the biggest thing is the ACC solidly being the second strongest conference despite what you might imagine looking at the top. Basically, we have the most parity. That's going to lead to undervaluing the teams that separate because their wins won't look as impressive and a loss to a conference for with an unremarkable record won't look good.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the biggest thing is the ACC solidly being the second strongest conference despite what you might imagine looking at the top. Basically, we have the most parity. That's going to lead to undervaluing the teams that separate because their wins won't look as impressive and a loss to a conference for with an unremarkable record won't look good.

No way the ACC is the second strongest conference. The SEC, Big 10, and Big 12 are all easily better. There’s probably 10 teams from those conferences who would go unbeaten in the Coastal.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
uga schedule looks ok on paper but a&m auburn wont be ranked by the time they play em imo. Notre dame no idea. Carolina wont be too tough. Ut stinks. Vandy kentucky will be below avg this year

For me i think their schedule is a paper preseason hype schedule and most of those teams wont be so good
Can't recall where I saw it but one preseason rag had Clemson losing one game - to TAMU so who knows.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
No way the ACC is the second strongest conference. The SEC, Big 10, and Big 12 are all easily better. There’s probably 10 teams from those conferences who would go unbeaten in the Coastal.
I don't buy that at all. Most of the conference arguments are hype, not substance (other than how much the Pac-12 sucks).