I've Been Out of The Loop - Quaide?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
In his defense, that play was like the "fumble" in the COFH. I believe both lost fumbles were the result of strips and not carelessness with the ball.

And refs who don't blow forward progress. CU got a forward progress whistle after losing a fumble that would've been aTD the other way. They would've lost to Troy.

stevo0718

Georgia Tech Fan
In his defense, that play was like the "fumble" in the COFH. I believe both lost fumbles were the result of strips and not carelessness with the ball.
I think calling those fumbles similar is a disservice to Justin's non "fumble".

Quaide was still moving forward and churning, though they never blew the whistle. Justin was moving backwards. I had no problem with the call on Quaide.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think calling those fumbles similar is a disservice to Justin's non "fumble".

Quaide was still moving forward and churning, though they never blew the whistle. Justin was moving backwards. I had no problem with the call on Quaide.
X2

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
If Quaide had gotten that one extra yard to get it in the EZ, would any of us have wanted it to be blown dead back at the 1 1/2 yard line? He was working. They were working. It wasn't obvious to me the play was dead, albeit from the opposite end of the field.

I agree with Boomer here. Sure you could argue the play should be dead...but he was driving still...and the D shouldn't stop either. He needs to learn....

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If Quaide had gotten that one extra yard to get it in the EZ, would any of us have wanted it to be blown dead back at the 1 1/2 yard line? He was working. They were working. It wasn't obvious to me the play was dead, albeit from the opposite end of the field.

Agree. As I remember the replay, there were few or no other GT players pushing that pile. Shouldn't we have been playing rugby too? That fumble was on Quaide but also the rest of the team who wasn't getting mixed up in the scrum IMHO. That is what the SEC does more than the genteel ACC and it is effective.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Guys are coached to strip, especially when the ball carrier is stood up and surrounded by teammates. It's up to the ball carrier to cover the ball and secure it properly. We got outplayed on that one and it's on QW. Two hands/arms wrapping the ball and the D can barely see it let alone get hands on it. Ball security 101.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

In the short yardage situation with a lot of bodies and especially near the goal line Quaide needs to learn to run hard and get low and finish low. He got straight up and surrounded by defenders and that gave the defense a good chance for a strip. Note how M Jordan and Mills usually finishes runs, low and not surrounded. In this case Quaide was a victim somewhat of his own doing (though he was giving it a good effort) but with a good chance to learn from it and hopefully get other chances.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

You're not wrong. Still ... as a GT fan who's still a little more than miffed about a play that happened in the UGA game last year ... I reserve the right to be mad about the strip. :D

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I agree with Boomer here. Sure you could argue the play should be dead...but he was driving still...and the D shouldn't stop either. He needs to learn....
I believe Q's forward progress had stopped momentarily, got lose, and then in a blink of the eye lost the ball after regaining forward progress.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Didn't we talk last season [or the season before] about having the D practice trying to strip balls at all times (including after whistle) in practice to teach this same kind of ball security we missed during this play?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
How to stay fourth string--This is an example of not playing smart.When he realized that he not going forward,he needed to get down before the 4 guys on him stripped him.