It's VT week

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
We are sitting 3-0 right now...We haven't looked as good as we would hope but at the end of the day we are 3-0 heading into VT.

This is it...The game we (Or at least I) have been waiting on for a long time...The defense we spent time preparing from during the off-season.

This game will be the turning point of our season IMO.

CPJ vs Foster again.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
I know I'm ready to watch it. They might be coming out with their hair on fire after what happened with ECU. Wish I could go to Blacksburg for it. At least GT has got tape to watch and the week to correct and prepare. Sod of these feelings about Saturday will fade with time.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Completely agree. Definitely the biggest game of the season so far (obviously). I'm interested to see how we play against them. If we put up 30+ against them then I don't think anyone can stop us. I think our defense will be ok.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I haven't watched the tape on our D yet (not sure I will) but I honestly think if we are going to win games the offense is going to have put up a lot of points.

Don't have much confidence in our D.

Maybe just our weakness is the option :)

GTBME

Georgia Tech Fan
We will have to play our very best game to pull out a win. Foster defends the triple option well and we are young and thin on defense. Our secondary was supposed to be one of our strength but they got brutally exposed yesterday, no pressure on the quarterback will do that.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
We are sitting 3-0 right now...We haven't looked as good as we would hope but at the end of the day we are 3-0 heading into VT.

This is it...The game we (Or at least I) have been waiting on for a long time...The defense we spent time preparing from during the off-season.

CPJ vs Foster again.

I don't think this will be a turning point. I think it will be a loss by between 7 and 13 points.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I have very little confidence going into next week's game. This team reminds me a bit of Hamilton's years at GT, when we all knew we had to score in the 40's to win because our D was so bad. I am not sure VPI&SU's offense is that good, but I will be shocked if they don't score in the 30's against us.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
Didn't say which way...but I really don't see how this won't be a turning point game.

Ok, in this I agree. When you said turning point, I assumed you meant it's when we will see Tech turn the corner and show that it's much better than what has been predicted. I think it'll be a turning point in that it will be the first loss of the season.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

n

CPJ vs Foster again.

If GT was simply the HC vs the other teams DC we would be 10-2 every year.

Unfortunately, for GT, is its team vs team. And this game is Johnson vs Beamer. Because our D will need to play their O as much as the other way.

The coach perpetuates it by often referring to the D as "they" and the O as "we"

It is amazing to me, after 7 years of bad D and 3 coord, that Paul, who has shown willingness to change, hasn't recognized this. Clearly, in GT performance on the D side of the ball there are only a few continuities. GT and Paul.

We had plenty top 30 D's in the past. It can be done here. In 7 years we should have had AT LEAST ONE season of a top 30 D. I don't think we have come close IIRC. Maybe 2008 but that is before Pauls program really influenced anything.

To me Paul has to be introspective here and stop putting it on "them".

For me the VT game boils down to this. Tech vs Tech. Games with VT are always defensive. If we don't bring defense, they will, so it doesn't matter what we do on O. We need to stop them first, they will bring their D. Our O will get shut down to a degree. It will be low scoring. So we have to bring our D.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This game is for a chance at ACC Coastal. Lose it and we have little chance; essentially eliminated. Win it and it sets up the Miami game as the next elimination game. ACC Coastal is the prime first hope for me this season; you have to win it to go to the ACCCG......

Against VT we are not well matched up.

VT has the advantage for our O versus their D. The season is very young but VT is 18th in rushing D and 84th in passing D. We run better than pass, especially when JT get tired and his mechanics seem to get affected. We'll score; I'm not saying we are going to get shut out but we'll probably get 24-27.

VT probably has the advantage of their O versus our D since we don't have the rush which ECU had the few plays I watched. I think VT scores 34-37.

ST, we probably have the advantage from the ST gaff I saw at the end of the VT game. VT ties the game and then on the KO puts it OOB. All ECU really needed was a FG to win.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
One thing is for sure, we will have to win this one by putting up a lot of points. Last year our D kept us in the game, but that won't happen this year.

VT's defense was not as dominate as I remembered it when I watched the game live. They telegraph where pressure is coming from. We just need to attack the edge where the pressure is coming from with quick pitches.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Wasn't saying it was JUST CPJ vs Foster.

But it is another CPJ vs Foster matchup..which are always fun.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
As ECU demonstrated VaTech exposes their corners for jump balls. Every blitz, every rush up the middle ECU's QB put it up for one on one matchup's against their corners and won a lot of them. Will we be able to execute those match ups because running our option offense will be difficult. The have speed on their front seven to disrupt our timing and will be flying to tackle. They will be angry do to their embarrassment. If we can't pass it's gonna be a long day.

They gonna score on us because our defense is poor, we'll be forced to keep up or get boat raced.

Tempest_12

Jolly Good Fellow
We will have to play our very best game to pull out a win. Foster defends the triple option well and we are young and thin on defense. Our secondary was supposed to be one of our strength but they got brutally exposed yesterday, no pressure on the quarterback will do that.

I dunno I thought the coverage was pretty good but the throws were better. Most of the time our DB's were step for step with their receivers. On one of the long bomb TD passes the receiver pushed off and it wasn't called.

No body can cover forever. We need more QB pressure not sure how we'll get it.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
As ECU demonstrated VaTech exposes their corners for jump balls. Every blitz, every rush up the middle ECU's QB put it up for one on one matchup's against their corners and won a lot of them. Will we be able to execute those match ups because running our option offense will be difficult. The have speed on their front seven to disrupt our timing and will be flying to tackle. They will be angry do to their embarrassment. If we can't pass it's gonna be a long day.

They gonna score on us because our defense is poor, we'll be forced to keep up or get boat raced.

I totally agree. Smelter had his guy beat repeatedly last year. The key here is for JT to make the pre-snap read and be ready to pitch if they jump the gaps.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I dunno I thought the coverage was pretty good but the throws were better. Most of the time our DB's were step for step with their receivers. On one of the long bomb TD passes the receiver pushed off and it wasn't called.

No body can cover forever. We need more QB pressure not sure how we'll get it.

blitz. We are getting burned anyway. Might as well try pressure

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
VT didn't show a good run game yesterday...but I do think we will have to stack the box a little to slow them down. Marshawn Williams is a big back at almost 230 pounds.

I do know that VT feels that they do not have a good OL.