It's the small plays...

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
Guys, it's the small plays that win games. A perfect example from tonight: Jordan Mason's tackle on the 2nd interception: it saved what would have become a 17-0 game and likely out of our reach. Watch how he takes a wide angle and slices in to trip him up:

Those are plays that win games, folks. It's the small things. Another example: when the FSU LB dropped what would have been a sure pick six. At the time, it didn't seem to matter too much. We all know now how much that would have changed the game. Another example: Chris Milton tracking down Nick Chubb at the 1 yard line. What happened a few plays later? A fumble, and we got the ball. Saved what would have been a 14-0 ugag lead in the first quarter. It's the little things that win and lose games fellas.

The links are timestamped.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Guys, it's the small plays that win games. A perfect example from tonight: Jordan Mason's tackle on the 2nd interception: it saved what would have become a 17-0 game and likely out of our reach. Watch how he takes a wide angle and slices in to trip him up:

Those are plays that win games, folks. It's the small things. Another example: when the FSU LB dropped what would have been a sure pick six. At the time, it didn't seem to matter too much. We all know now how much that would have changed the game. Another example: Chris Milton tracking down Nick Chubb at the 1 yard line. What happened a few plays later? A fumble, and we got the ball. Saved what would have been a 14-0 ugag lead in the first quarter. It's the little things that win and lose games fellas.

The links are timestamped.

Great thread.

I thought Jack DeFoor’s tackle after the first INT was also a big play. The Noles ultimately scored a TD on that (1st) possession, but it seemed unlikely that Jack at his size could make a play on Samuel, but he did it as arguably last man standing between the DB and goal line with more field available for Samuel to get around.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I thought the same thing 'Cuse about that tackle. Great effort by DeFoor. Another big play (or lack thereof) was the dropped pass by their top receiver late in the first half. Would have put us down 17 - 0.

Deleted member 2897

Great thread.

I thought Jack DeFoor’s tackle after the first INT was also a big play. The Noles ultimately scored a TD on that (1st) possession, but it seemed unlikely that Jack at his size could make a play on Samuel, but he did it as arguably last man standing between the DB and goal line with more field available for Samuel to get around.

Yea, great tackle. Ran down a safety!

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Also, one of the lineman made the tackle on one of the blocked kicks that would have led to points if returned. The Mason tackle was indeed big. Due to camera angles I was unable to see our WR’s blocking on running plays. I loved watching our WR’s block under Johnson and hope they were doing it well yesterday.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Also, one of the lineman made the tackle on one of the blocked kicks that would have led to points if returned. The Mason tackle was indeed big. Due to camera angles I was unable to see our WR’s blocking on running plays. I loved watching our WR’s block under Johnson and hope they were doing it well yesterday.
Look at the replay of Mason’s TD for some good WR blocking

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Carter (#15) had a huge block on Mason's td run. So did the LT, not sure name, held the edge just long enough for Mason to scoot by.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Great thread.

After watching the CGC postgame presser and thinking about this more, Jack might have indeed saved 7 despite the Noles scoring a TD on offense. The first series scripted by FSU was the first live bullets for our D against an offense that we couldn't have been 100% sure of schematically, given their own transition. Our D had an adjustment period. Hypothetical of course, but it's not a reach to believe that if Samuel converted the pick 6, then FSU's first offensive drive later would have still yielded 7 (or a drive shortly thereafter). Much bigger tackle by DeFoor than I initially mentally gave credit for.