It's Official - Hunt-Days’ Scholarship Rescinded

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
But there is hope... "Johnson said Hunt-Days plans to practice with the team in the fall and that he will be put back on scholarship once he regains his eligibility, which could happen as early as January"

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
So, basically, he's on academic probation? Or has he been booted from school?

I really hope he gets back on the field for '15. HUGE games that season! ND and FSU.

But there is hope... "Johnson said Hunt-Days plans to practice with the team in the fall and that he will be put back on scholarship once he regains his eligibility, which could happen as early as January"
But didn't his parents sorta request this? Trying to light an academic fire under the young man's posterior. Hoping that light bulb comes on big and bright, and soon.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The Days parents have absolutely no place to suggest to CPJ that his scholarship be rescinded, at least publicly.

You entitled to your opinion on this. I'm of the exact opposite opinion. Lots of people like to tell parents how they should do their job nowadays. I think people should mind their own business. Another opinion :D

LibertyTurns

Banned
The Days parents have absolutely no place to suggest to CPJ that his scholarship be rescinded, at least publicly.
They sure as hell do. You don't stop being someone's kid when you turn 18. It's for life. If he didn't want to have his Dad publicly humiliate him, he needed to take care of business like a man. He opted to be treated like a youngster. I pray he grows out of it and based on Dad's public comments he's getting phenomenal advice from one of his most trusted sources. I can only imagine what the private conversation was like.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You guys are so wrong on this (yes, my opinion). They are his parents for life, absolutely. They have the right as parents to do exactly that, parent. They have the right to offer their opinions, guidance, support, resources or to withhold any of that.

What they DO NOT have the right to do is get between their ADULT son and the organization he has a legal contract with. Them suggesting that his scholarship be revoked publicly is so far across the line that I can't believe you guys are defending that as good parenting. HIS Scholarship is none of their business, period. His actions, his well being, his performance, these are things that are their business.

They care about him and want him to succeed, outstanding.
They think he's not taking the education portion of his job seriously and are calling him on that, fantastic.
They express that maybe his losing his scholarship would help get his mind right, fine.

But these are things done behind closed doors at this point. Their right is to kick him in the *** privately or distance themselves. That's tough love. Commenting to the media that he should lose his scholarship is not tough love, it's an attempt to control an adult's life by limiting his options.

Jabari may not be acting maturely, but he's 20 or 21 years old now. They need to be privately in his face and publicly silent.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
By the way, I, in no way think that the Days' comments influenced CPJ's decision to take JHD off scholarship. I think he's dealt with enough parents over the years and been a parent long enough to separate these things.

I applaud the Days for being such a strong family unit and for Papa Days for being a strong, upstanding role-model. I don't want my comments to be misconstrued. I think we need more parents holding their children to higher standards and less excuse-making for their kids' laziness.

But, in my opinion, there have been some lines crossed that I don't think should have.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
As an educator, I used the separate stories on the Days' and Jameis Winston's father'a comments as a discussion starter on parenting styles. It was a teachable moment for quite a few who will be facing parenthood sooner than they realize. While I understand what @forensicbuzz is saying about the "contract" JHD entered into with GT, I don't feel like Mr. Days deliberately crossed a line. All I remember reading was that he made clear his opinion regarding JHD's scholly. I doubt he interfered in GT or CPJ's handling of the matter. I hate that JHD is learning this lesson at the expense of his team not being able to count on him this season, but what a unique position we as GT fans are in when we can point to stories like this (which at the end of the day is positive, I believe) as more indicative of our football program than covering up crimes or making excuses for repeated violations. Part of the reason I sleep well rooting for our team.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the young man did what lot of people (ahem!) do in college: he took tough courses and he didn't work hard enough on them.

I got a book on teaching recently and its first chapter is about how previous knowledge can both help and hinder learning. I bet JHD thought, having done ok at Tech for awhile, that he had the routine down pat and could make about the same kind of effort as before with about the same results. When you think like that you are setting yourself up for getting clobbered. The usual result is that you get overconfident and actually end up doing less then when you were new and scared.

This isn't a new situation or an unrecoverable one. He'll just have to buckle down and remember to keep his eye on the prize. I'm sure he can do that and that he'll come back with a little fire in his eyes.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Does this mean he will be lining up on the scout team for practices since he isn't on the active roster? Can't be bad for our offense going up against someone with his abilities everyday in practice.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I can't recall a similar situation in which the player went on academic probation? and off scholly then later returned to team successfully to play in games after academic adequate improvement.Can anyone else?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I can't recall a similar situation in which the player went on academic probation? and off scholly then later returned to team successfully to play in games after academic adequate improvement.Can anyone else?

Not Tech related but Everett Golson I believe

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I was a bigger sorry *** in college than Hunt-Days in this instance. He's a good kid who screwed up. Will bounce back it have no doubt. I'm a big fan of all the Days. Hope S.Days kills it this year.