It's about that time of year again

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Kirk Herbstreit is calling it like it is on Twitter right now:

"Clearly some of the UGA players take advantage of Coach Richts forgiving heart. No fear of the consequences leads to ongoing shananagins."

"Dear moronic fringe UGA fans--I'm a huge fan of Coach Richts, well aware of him kicking guys off tm, simply stating this trend is gettin old"

Can't disagree with any of that.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Jonathan Taylor 4*
James Deloach 4*
Uriah LeMay 4*
Tray Mathews 4*

Now we get to hear Uga fans say how Athens CC PD has it out for their players. I understand DUIs and even weed, crap happens when you're having fun and think you're invincible. These guys stole stuff in a town where they could have whatever they wanted just by asking. How f'n retarded do you have to be???

Losing these guys won't hurt them though because they took 33 commits in 2013. How this crap doesn't get thrown on Richt I'll never know. Anyone that says a college coach can't control every aspect of their players lives, i call BS. Freaking highschool coaches can instill the fear of god in their players for breaking meaningless rules let alone the law. Why parents allow their kids to play football for a man that has more success at getting your son into the Athens Clarke County Jail than the National Football League is amazing. If anyone wants to start a fund to get those statistics on a billboard in downtown Atlanta, count me in.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
The real tragedy is that these young men's lives are now ruined.

This would not have happened if they played for Nick Saban at Alabama nor would it have happened if they played for Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech. What do these coaches have that Mark Richt doesn't? Balls.

The other sad aspect of this recurring refrain from Athens is that UGa will win a ton of games this year and no one will remember these kids or what happened to them. Except for the kids themselves and their families.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The real tragedy is that these young men's lives are now ruined.

This would not have happened if they played for Nick Saban at Alabama nor would it have happened if they played for Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech. What do these coaches have that Mark Richt doesn't? Balls.

The other sad aspect of this recurring refrain from Athens is that UGa will win a ton of games this year and no one will remember these kids or what happened to them. Except for the kids themselves and their families.
Whoa, the kids are not victims here. They made a bad choice and have to own it.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have a question related to the AJC article referenced by ATL1. Can someone explain to me what is meant by "stipend"? Now I know what a stipend is in non-football(college) life but I am not familiar with this term/concept in college football. Thanks.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Understood and agreed. The tragedy as I see it is the the missed opportunity to turn these kids into productive citizens. Richt sells these kids an NFL dream many of them will never see, gets them in the door, puts them on academic cruise control and as long as they show up for practice and meetings then no questions asked.

If this were an uncommon event, I'd chalk it up to the occasional bad seed. But clearly, the epidemic of arrests of UGa football players over the years since Richt was hired is a very clear indication that the inmates are running the asylum over there. The lack of structure, discipline and accountability seeds an environment that almost encourages this kind of behaviour.

Ask any captain what happens when the crew is allowed to run the ship. UGa has an obligation to keep these kids on a tight leash and to set and enforce high standards of performance and conduct. Yes, the kids failed. But Mark RIcht and the UGa Athletic Department are also failing and I hold them to a higher standard than the kids they are supposedly in charge of.

Animal02

Banned
I have a question related to the AJC article referenced by ATL1. Can someone explain to me what is meant by "stipend"? Now I know what a stipend is in non-football(college) life but I am not familiar with this term/concept in college football. Thanks.

They can get a stipend if they live off campus, also for traveling to a bowl game on their own,

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...-travel-cash-in-the-name-of-?urn=ncaaf,209984
http://www.collegesportsscholarship...ng-the-student-athlete-stipend-by-stealth.htm

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
http://espn.go.com/college-football...ish-coaches-support-stipends-college-athletes

Looks like they get a little spending cash to cover expenses not related to college. From this article, a rule was made allowing them $2000 per year in which probably explains the different numbers in the bond amounts. They knew exactly what they were doing and it's a shame they thought it was okay to do something like that

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This kind of behavior gets weeded out in two ways at Tech and it's all thanks to the academics that "hurt" our recruiting. First, it effectively weeds out most of this on the front end because the kids that typical do this kind of stuff can't get in or don't want in to GT. Second, the rigor of the academics and the structural support in place to help them succeed severely limits their "down" time. Chock one up for tough GT academics!!!

The really sad part is that most Uga fans couldn't care less as long as they win. Even Richt skates by without any tarnishing of the reverend mystique. Go figure.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
The really sad part is that most Uga fans couldn't care less as long as they win. Even Richt skates by without any tarnishing of the reverend mystique. Go figure.

Attesting to your point is this quote from the article:

Williamson [Uga Chief of Police] already got an email Tuesday morning from someone wondering why UGA athletics would turn in their own players.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Naw if its a misdemeanor its a slap on the hand....will they stay and play.........yep probably set out a cup cake game and all is forgiven.....Look at the very worst they leave school and somebody picks them up .......like AUBIE and the ex ga player.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Naw if its a misdemeanor its a slap on the hand....will they stay and play.........yep probably set out a cup cake game and all is forgiven.....Look at the very worst they leave school and somebody picks them up .......like AUBIE and the ex ga player.
The only reason it's a misdemeanor is the low value of the theft. If the Uga AA had let this go on a while longer, the total theft amount would have climbed above the felony threshold. Good thing the AA acted quick on this, for their sakes.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
What's really mind-boggling about this is that it never even occurred to those morons that anyone would notice them cashing the same check over and over again. I mean, there's dumb and then there's this.