It starts with us

Animal02

Banned
Unhappy fans - yes. But there’s this ...

“We found that the business of football is soaring and there are plenty of signs that the Michigan football brand is returning to marquee program status with rising revenue, ticket sales and recruiting classes.”
Ticket sales....meaning 110k a game instead of 105k. ;)
Michigan is is much like the mutts. They think they deserve the NC every year just for showing up.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I try to stay out of most discussions because, to me, being a moderator means that to be most effective I need to remain neutral. With that being said, I really am so tired of hearing about the "elitist" attitudes of GT alumni/fans. I have never put down another GT fan, no matter whether they are legacy, alum, or casual/sidewalk. I'm just glad that we have people who like Georgia Tech, whether it's GT the school or GT the sports team. You can call me elitist if you want but I am VERY PROUD of the fact that I graduated from Georgia Tech in 1983! It was hard/tough school to get out of. I was made to feel less than welcome because I was female. I almost gave up my 1st winter quarter but I decided that no one was going to force me out so I stayed and got my diploma. I am proud to say that of the 7 people from my high senior class that went to GT (6 guys, 1 gal) I was the only one who graduated. My Mother busted her butt selling Tupperware so I could get my diploma from Georgia Tech and I refuse to feel guilty/ashamed/less than proud of being a Georgia Tech grad. I owe it to my Mother's memory to celebrate that accomplishment.
Now, I will step off my soap box and thank you for your indulgence.

P.S. TO HELL WITH GEORGIA!

I think you’re misunderstanding what we mean by “elitist”. You should be proud to be a Tech alumni and you have every right to yell your pride out into the heavens. It’s comments like “our kids are actually taking classes” whenever we lose that make the GT alumni come off elitist. GT is not the only real school in the world and not the only place in college athletics where players are getting a real education. Also, you have to realize the lack of diversity in degrees leads a lot of people that are plenty capable of going to Tech to not go.

I don’t think Tech fans are elitist to Tech sidewalk fans. I think they can come off elitist to other school’s fans which can definitely hinder getting more sidewalk fans and the attitude of “we don’t need sidewalk fans”(which is how some will respond to this) is the attitude that gets you the kind of results like last Saturday: weak attendance and weak results on the field.

falconholic26

Banned
I am a side walk fan from south ga and been I a fan since i was 8 years old and I’m almost 40 now and I bleed the white and gold and it tears me up when we lose but I get fired up and root like crazy when they get to play again. I’ve been many many many games at Bobby Dodd over the years with no affiliation for the school Matter of fact I could care less about the school all I care about are the sports teams. I am so sick and tired of y’all so called fans not filling up Bobby Dodd I get so freaking mad that when the stadium is half empty or more fans is there for the other teams than ours. All of y’all so called fans want to do is complain when we’re no winning. No top recruit is never going to come two tech to play in front of 20k fans. So get off your ***!! And Wallet and fill the stands against Nc on the fifth. I ll be there cheering on and if your not then never complain or post anything again Bc you loose you right two. A loss is a loss no matter if it Clemson or against citadel. If you want it to change it’s starts with us so when I show up on the on October the 5th and it not sold out two the max to support Georgia Tech then you lose your right two ever complain again and we they do support don’t needs fans like that no more,

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Is Tech elitist? Hell yes it’s elitist. And I’m proud of that. Top 5 public university in the US. Top 50 STEM school in the world. 95% of incoming students take advanced placement calculus. 26% acceptance rate. Four national championships.

We are an elite university. Wherever I go, “You went to Tech? Wow.”

Everyone seems to think being “elitist” depresses attendance. Attendance will continue to decline as more viewing choices fill the void. ACCN, streaming, GameDay app, all provide content without actually attending.

I do believe the GTAA has been horribly managed and we’d be in a far better position without the massive debt. We could do amazing things if we get that paid off ...

But elitist? I’m fine with it.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Is Tech elitist? Hell yes it’s elitist. And I’m proud of that. Top 5 public university in the US. Top 50 STEM school in the world. 95% of incoming students take advanced placement calculus. 26% acceptance rate. Four national championships.

We are an elite university. Wherever I go, “You went to Tech? Wow.”

Everyone seems to think being “elitist” depresses attendance. Attendance will continue to decline as more viewing choices fill the void. ACCN, streaming, GameDay app, all provide content without actually attending.

I do believe the GTAA has been horribly managed and we’d be in a far better position without the massive debt. We could do amazing things if we get that paid off ...

But elitist? I’m fine with it.

What you listed is not what the gentleman was referring to. He’s referring to an attitude.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The problem with students not coming to games is because they aren’t GT fans because a vast majority of them are not from this state. When I joined a fraternity at GT it was weird to see guys staying at the house to watch “their” team, whether it was Syracuse for the boys from New York, or Michigan/ Ohio State when GT was playing a 300 yards away.

The only way to see a full stadium is to grow the alumni base in the state of Georgia. Admitting kids who already have 18 years of loyalty to other schools in other parts of the country won’t convert them. Their children may be converted to GT fans as they hear the stories and visit the campus, but GT does nothing to help alumni children. Meanwhile, GT families in this state get the shaft regarding admissions. When I see all the empty seats I think of my fellow GT graduates who are sitting at their teams stadiums all over the country and I think of all my GT buddies whose kids went to UGA and other schools who would love to have been at GT. And these are great students but GT decided to bring in another great student who is a lifelong fan of another team. One of my longtime GT roommates was/is a lifelong LSU fan and it still sticks in my crawl that he came, got his degree, and probably hasn’t been to campus since.
Not sure I’m buying your theory. Notre Dame students a rabid and they come from all over the country.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I never look down on anyone for where they went to school. I’m grateful I was accepted and got out.

That’s good. Humility is a good thing, and it’s an attractive quality, especially when it’s genuine and the other person knows you rightfully could be boastful.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
College football attendance is closely correlated to undergraduate student population. Fewer students means fewer alumni, especially locally (so many GT grads wind up a long way from ATL).

In this regard we will simply never be able to compete unless we choose to merge with Ga State. Last time I looked our donations PER CAPITA was amongst the highest in the Southeast. We just lack the numbers....