It starts with us

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I'll start out with the caveat that, if you're a fan that's been consistently buying tickets, showing up for games, and/or donating, then thank you. You've done your part.

If you haven't been doing these things, then all of the finger pointing needs to be right back at yourself.

It all starts with funding. Where does that money come from? From us, the fans, buying tickets, donating, spending money at home games, etc. GT has been woefully behind for a while now.

Want GT to have better coaching? Gotta have the money to pay top-notch coaches.

Want GT to recruit better talent? Gotta have the money for recruiting personnel.

Our fans are not buying tickets, attending games, or donating at the level that will get you these things. I know plenty of examples of this just in my circle of friends and acquaintances.

At our tailgate area, on the lawn in between the library and the Student Center, we were outnumbered by Citadel fans. That's sad. They were 0-2 (losses to Elon and Towson) heading into playing at GT, so you know they had to be expecting another loss. But they showed up and were having a great time.

We can't just sit behind a computer and think we deserve these things. You've got to invest in it. And when I say invest, I don't mean like the way you rationally invest in a stock. I mean invest like a fan (short for fanatic). It doesn't always make rational sense (sit in traffic, stand in line, sit in the heat, etc.), but you're a fan, damn it. That's what we do.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I'll start out with the caveat that, if you're a fan that's been consistently buying tickets, showing up for games, and/or donating, then thank you. You've done your part.

If you haven't been doing these things, then all of the finger pointing needs to be right back at yourself.

It all starts with funding. Where does that money come from? From us, the fans, buying tickets, donating, spending money at home games, etc. GT has been woefully behind for a while now.

Want GT to recruit better talent? Gotta have the money for recruiting personnel.

Our fans are not buying tickets, attending games, or donating at the level that will get you these things. I know plenty of examples of this just in my circle of friends and acquaintances.

At our tailgate area, on the lawn in between the library and the Student Center, we were outnumbered by Citadel fans. That's sad. They were 0-2 (losses to Elon and Towson) heading into playing at GT, so you know they had to be expecting another loss. But they showed up and were having a great time.

We can't just sit behind a computer and think we deserve these things. You've got to invest in it. And when I say invest, I don't mean like the way you rationally invest in a stock. I mean invest like a fan (short for fanatic). It doesn't always make rational sense (sit in traffic, stand in line, sit in the heat, etc.), but you're a fan, damn it. That's what we do.
Great post ! You think Clemson built their program using mirrors ? It was/is money , my friends. IMO, we have a great fanbase of very passionate supporters, just waaaay too few of them. The transition to fix that will take YEARS .......maybe even 7!! I feel a comparison to Clemson is relative to when they hired Dabo, but they did not have to completely revamp their offensive scheme. That being said, I still have not been impressed with what Patenaud has done to this point. But I am optimistic overall for the longer term. Next year will be noticeably better ( bowl game ?) IMO.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
I know several Tech fans who won’t attend games because we aren’t that good and don’t have elite talent, and then wonder why we can’t recruit like the schools around us selling out their stadium every weekend.

This kind of mindset certainly isn’t helping Coach Collins succeed. And I’ve said this many times, no matter how you feel about Coach collins corny antics, you should want him to succeed. Because if he’s failing, that means GT is failing.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
100% agreed. A lot of GT fans act like we’re entitled to success. Our effort as an athletics program and fan base entitles us to exactly what we’re going through now. When half the students and fans can’t be troubled to make it their seats before kickoff, alumni act like snobs rather than brand ambassadors (not saying everyone, but many), and the AA doesn’t invests in recruiting / assistant coaches salaries, this is what you get.

Other programs and their fans work a lot harder than us (collectively). It starts with the AA investing in the program and fans demonstrating support.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

The other half of the problem is we are seen as smart but elitist by the average fan. We seem to take pride in having so few average fans

Can we afford to not have average fans .
In your area are u creating a positive impression for gt.

As a minimum wear your gt hat and actively recruit. alabama fans to make us there favorite no pro team .

At level above walking around join a high school football booster club and always wesr your hat and be positive. Give time to the point the coach thinks highly of u. Soon get known by other coaches as that positive guy in the gt hat.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Ok I agree somewhat. I graduated from Southern Tech not Georgia Tech was not that great in school. But I have bought tickets tickets since 1981 and give money every year so I didn't get season tickets cause we won.
But I can not hold it against people who do not live in the area for not getting tickets. I also don't know peoples Financial situation so unless I do how can I hold them responsible to give money. I would love to see the Stadium full but that ain't going to happen unless some things change. Problem is I don't know what would change that problem. Maybe CGC is the answer but I have no idea only hope. Some say winning will help, it will to an extent but even after 1990 season we didn't sell out our Stadium.
Look fact is I'm just as bad about calling out something I don't ( like our offensive coordinator) but just because I buy season tickets and give money the only two things it gives me a right to is attend the game and take a tax deduction on my taxes.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Even those of us buying tickets need to stay the entire game. I was embarrassed in ATL how empty the stands were in a close game going into overtime. As pissed off as I was I stood up and cheered untill overtime was over. Then walked out with my tail tucked between my legs.

Thank you, kind sir. You are fine gentleman and great fan.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok I agree somewhat. I graduated from Southern Tech not Georgia Tech was not that great in school. But I have bought tickets tickets since 1981 and give money every year so I didn't get season tickets cause we won.
But I can not hold it against people who do not live in the area for not getting tickets. I also don't know peoples Financial situation so unless I do how can I hold them responsible to give money. I would love to see the Stadium full but that ain't going to happen unless some things change. Problem is I don't know what would change that problem. Maybe CGC is the answer but I have no idea only hope. Some say winning will help, it will to an extent but even after 1990 season we didn't sell out our Stadium.
Look fact is I'm just as bad about calling out something I don't ( like our offensive coordinator) but just because I buy season tickets and give money the only two things it gives me a right to is attend the game and take a tax deduction on my taxes.
Our history is we dont have large crowds, regardless of winning or losing

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Stop complaining about time it takes to get to the game. That's jibberish. During football season I work until midnight posting high school football score in my area. Then drive home shower and head to bed. So it's 1 am. THEN I get myself up, throw on a jersey, grab some sunscreen and hit the road for the 3 hour drive to ATL. Stay for the entire game. Noon games suck, but I was in my seat an hour before kickoff this pas Sat.

As far as buying season tickets, you can pay them off over 5 months. Not that hard. Donate to the GTAA? $50 a month will put you in the Alexander level of giving. http://atfund.gatech.edu/athletic-scholarship-fund (When my current year is up next month, I will start giving $50 a month. Anyone wanna match me?)

Don't want to do that, look into these other ways. I don't buy much from Amazon, but when I do, a portion of what I spend is given to the GTAA. http://atfund.gatech.edu/methods-giving

Point is, every dollar matters. C'mon guys. This isn't about shades of gold or a an offensive system, this is about Ma Tech. I'm a sidewalk fan. If I love this institute this much, all you other folks can to. I support the college I attended and played ball for 4 years, but I bleed White & Gold.

Go Tech!!

techfan#14

Jolly Good Fellow
So I do not post much especially on a subject like this... but I am what you would call a "side walk or average fan". However I am a die hard fanatic in the truest sense. I have no link to Tech (did not attend) beyond my grandfather who attended but was never what I would call a fan. I came into my fandom at age 10 (now 35) and never looked back and never will. I have a fervor for the school and athletics that I can barely explain myself. I live a little more than 2 hours away but make sure to attend 3 or 4 games a year and buy tech attire consistently. Now I do not donate and not afraid to share that fact. I may 1 day but cannot right now. My point to all this is to share my "outsiders" viewpoint on what I see on gsmeday. It really upsets me when i see empty seats in our stadium especially when I look at the club Level seats. It aggirvates me to no end. I would kill for those seats but they rarely look full like other parts of the stadium. I know the club Level gives access to other things but those seats being empty looks bad. I do not claim to have answers to attendance but if you call yourself a fan and you live in Atlanta you have no excuse to not be in a seat on game day. I would be at every one if I could. Maybe people don't care like I do, and maybe I care too much. I agree with above posts if we want change in certain areas then we have to show up, be loud, care, and support the team.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You’ve only touched on part of it. It doesn’t start with the fans. It starts with the school. GT fans are outnumbered because there simply aren’t enough of us because the school doesn’t care about creating fans. All GT has to do is up admissions for in state students and the stadium will fill up over the next 20 years. Instead, GT craps on GT families and in state students and then the few of us wonder why our numbers aren’t growing. Sidewalk fans are great but you build your base with local alumni.

This summer I brought my kids (high school juniors who wear GT gear every day) on official tours of GT and UGA on back to back days. The tours weren’t even comparable. GT’s group tour was so far below UGAs that it was hard for me to handle. I fully understand that academics trump athletics at GT and I concur. But, quite honestly, GT doesn’t have to go out of state to find quality applicants. They do it because it sounds good. Our high school had one graduate go to GT last year. 10 went to UGA. It’s obvious why these threads appear every few months.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Stop complaining about time it takes to get to the game. That's jibberish. During football season I work until midnight posting high school football score in my area. Then drive home shower and head to bed. So it's 1 am. THEN I get myself up, throw on a jersey, grab some sunscreen and hit the road for the 3 hour drive to ATL. Stay for the entire game. Noon games suck, but I was in my seat an hour before kickoff this pas Sat.

As far as buying season tickets, you can pay them off over 5 months. Not that hard. Donate to the GTAA? $50 a month will put you in the Alexander level of giving. http://atfund.gatech.edu/athletic-scholarship-fund (When my current year is up next month, I will start giving $50 a month. Anyone wanna match me?)

Don't want to do that, look into these other ways. I don't buy much from Amazon, but when I do, a portion of what I spend is given to the GTAA. http://atfund.gatech.edu/methods-giving

Point is, every dollar matters. C'mon guys. This isn't about shades of gold or a an offensive system, this is about Ma Tech. I'm a sidewalk fan. If I love this institute this much, all you other folks can to. I support the college I attended and played ball for 4 years, but I bleed White & Gold.

Go Tech!!

Love it. Thank you.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
You’ve only touched on part of it. It doesn’t start with the fans. It starts with the school. GT fans are outnumbered because there simply aren’t enough of us because the school doesn’t care about creating fans. All GT has to do is up admissions for in state students and the stadium will fill up over the next 20 years. Instead, GT craps on GT families and in state students and then the few of us wonder why our numbers aren’t growing. Sidewalk fans are great but you build your base with local alumni.

This summer I brought my kids (high school juniors who wear GT gear every day) on official tours of GT and UGA on back to back days. The tours weren’t even comparable. GT’s group tour was so far below UGAs that it was hard for me to handle. I fully understand that academics trump athletics at GT and I concur. But, quite honestly, GT doesn’t have to go out of state to find quality applicants. They do it because it sounds good. Our high school had one graduate go to GT last year. 10 went to UGA. It’s obvious why these threads appear every few months.

I don’t disagree, but control what you can control. What I was talking about above is easily within all of our abilities to change.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Our history is we dont have large crowds, regardless of winning or losing

Maybe define “history”.

Winning draws crowds, and winning against good teams.

It really is not that hard to understand.

In the late 70s there was absolutely zero - 0 - nada - no way GT basketball could be relevant, fun, entertaining and winning. Especially in the ACC. NO WAY. Proven untrue.

We are not a typical school in a typical situation. We have to win beyond the ACC.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
1970 to today( At times a few decent years) but seems to be worse since the expansion of the stadium.

As a friend said to me -“think of the ticket demand we could create by taking out both end zones.”

One of the worst things we ever did was - waaaay back in the day - having “Tech Men” design an unsymmetrical stadium. Regardless if we love it or not.