It’s Yates Time...period

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Yates looked best when he was running the option. Lol.
So I can preempt the upcoming response from ibeeballin and streamwhistle I’ll also go ahead and make clear that I am not intending that to be a slight at CGC in any way.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yates looked best when he was running the option. Lol.

Honestly, as Yates was getting snaps, the thought "Man, he would have looked REALLY good running CPJs offense" kept running through my head.

He's got a presence about him, and he knows where to go with the ball. Receivers didn't help him out with drops, but I thought he played well. He was playing against backups so there's some grain of salt to take.

buzzmaniac

Georgia Tech Fan
Honestly, as Yates was getting snaps, the thought "Man, he would have looked REALLY good running CPJs offense" kept running through my head.

He's got a presence about him, and he knows where to go with the ball. Receivers didn't help him out with drops, but I thought he played well. He was playing against backups so there's some grain of salt to take.
Agreed. Don't know for a fact, but it appears he's spent time being coached up by his uncle, TJ Yates.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
Based on what? He looked a tad bit better than Graham against VTech's 2's. No way he should get the start off that. Also outshines JG in practice maybe, but apparently that hasn't happened. Otherwise JG may just have a (appropriately) quick hook next game.

Is Lucas Johnson still injured or in a concussion protocol or something?

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Based on what? He looked a tad bit better than Graham against VTech's 2's. No way he should get the start off that. Also outshines JG in practice maybe, but apparently that hasn't happened. Otherwise JG may just have a (appropriately) quick hook next game.

Is Lucas Johnson still injured or in a concussion protocol or something?
The Lucas Johnson ship has sailed. We have seen that failed experiment enough

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I can see LJ staying long enough to graduate and then transferring as a graduate student. He might be able to finish this summer but that is speculation. He will have 2 more years since he was granted an extra year. He appears to no longer be the future at QB.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Was it just me, Yates when running with the ball did not look very fast to my old eyes. I know in this offense managing the offense and passing are the most important, but the QB with running ability gives the offense another dimension. Also his quickness of foot seemed to be about average.

Was it just me, Yates when running with the ball did not look very fast to my old eyes. I know in this offense managing the offense and passing are the most important, but the QB with running ability gives the offense another dimension. Also his quickness of foot seemed to be about average.
Remember, he was getting virtually no blocking when he ran, nor protection when he attempted to pass. A better line will HOPEFULLY allow him to do better, if he actually can.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
So CDP is the OC and Quarterbacks coach. I would assume it is job to develop the QBs and to decide on who to play and when to change. I would think Collins would be another decision maker, but CDP should be the one who works with the QBs and is responsible for their development throughout the season. I may be wrong on this. But isn't CDP the one who will decide on which QB starts?

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
A lot of posters treat college kids like they dont develop at all.

For example Joe Hamilton's frosh year wasnt great. Maybe we should have sat him for someone else. I can't say Grahm isnt going to develop. Kid has an arm and at times drops absolute dimes. Other times he gets hyped up, or has the yips, or isnt setting feet (OL factor). and throws high. Doesnt mean he wont develop. Doesnt mean he will either.

With Yates, he wasnt ready earlier in the season for PT. Now he is earning some PT. As Vad showed when he torched UNC, just because you come in and look good doesnt mean you are better than the starter.

Then we have Justin Thomas, who had to develop and be the guy behind Vad.

So it seems ludicrous that people here know with great certainty who the QB will or wont be. Wouldnt surprise me if LJ came out next year, won the job, and had a good season. He is still developing too.

And the back up QB is always the most popular guy on the team per CPJ.

I am pissing into the wind here though in making thos post.

Last edited: