It’s ugly, but I noticed some good things.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Oh believe me, he would have been fired after Northern Illinois last year if it were me, and again after ND, but it’s not, and I don’t run the AA so I can’t write checks. I’m also not privy to our financials, but brand equity is of low consequence when actual equity is lacking. From what I’ve read and heard from those in the know, we aren’t exactly flush with cash as an AA, and have rather large debts.

Whether he deserves to be fired right now is unquestionable. The question is if the gain from satiating fans is worth 7 figures to the AA budget. I’m guessing no, so we will keep losing until the buyout lowers then pull the trigger. The sword of Damocles is over his head, we just don’t know the hour it will fall.
The Nebraska AD bit the bullet last week. He said that letting the program get trashed would be more costly than the buyout
We're in poor shape financially but that does not mean there's not the money there to act. To the Nebraska AD's point, that's how it works. You calculate future cash flows and business performance & if making the change is better than not and if you can get the cash either by taking it out of current operations (not for us) or a single/small number of folks willing to give (we have that) or a large fundraising campaign (it's possible, maybe even likely) or you find someone to loan it to you (that's available to us), you make the change. If making a change is worse operationall, you do nothing and ride it out.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
1. For all the Collins haters, he’s gonna be gone if we don’t make a bowl. The final score today was unacceptable.

2. Offense looked better, o line was bad but passing game was nice, sims looks more accurate.

3. Defense looked solid at times, they still have lots of work to do though.

I feel like if we had played Virginia or Duke we would’ve won or at least been in the game. Ole Miss is still a good team remember. Still, an unacceptable loss.

The O looked better? Zero points is not a good look, IMO.

The D did show some bright points, but the first few drives were painful. When a team runs on 3rd and long and earns the 1st down multiple times, it's a massive problem. The D was unprepared, just like the rest of the team - that's on the coaching staff.

The single play that was the final straw for me was when Ole Miss blocked a punt. How on God's green earth do we allow another blocker punt????? Either the coaches are unable to fix it or they're unwilling to change so that it can be fixed - either way is a problem and requires immediate change.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It seemed to me one huge difference between the teams was team speed. I thought D Smith looked fast last year, but their backs made him look to be running in mud.

I can't see any difference in the offense this year from last. It appears we are trying to run the same thing everyone else does but with less capable athletes. Tell me how that ever works in our favor.

Agree about the blocked punt. After Clem I would have thought that would have been fixed forever. If the punter can't get it off quicker, for gosh sakes move him back a few yards before the snap.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Wasn't the new OC supposed to provide a bright spot this year?

How's that working out so far?
I'm sure the OC is doing what he can. When our QB heads to the sideline 2 yards short of the first down on 3rd and 6 instead of bowling ahead for the 1st, there's not much you can do. When your OL is surprised that the DL is trying to get past them every week, there's not much you can do. When you're constantly playing 2+ scores down, there's not much you can do.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
It seemed to me one huge difference between the teams was team speed. I thought D Smith looked fast last year, but their backs made him look to be running in mud.

I can't see any difference in the offense this year from last. It appears we are trying to run the same thing everyone else does but with less capable athletes. Tell me how that ever works in our favor.

Agree about the blocked punt. After Clem I would have thought that would have been fixed forever. If the punter can't get it off quicker, for gosh sakes move him back a few yards before the snap.
On the blocked punt, we literally lined up with an Ole Miss player in an open gap. No one accounted for him. He just ran straight to the punter untouched. Apparently there was supposed to be a motion (??????) for the punt block scheme, but our guy didn't motion. Why we have convoluted punt schemes is beyond me, but at least we list the gunners on the depth chart.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
On the blocked punt, we literally lined up with an Ole Miss player in an open gap. No one accounted for him. He just ran straight to the punter untouched. Apparently there was supposed to be a motion (??????) for the punt block scheme, but our guy didn't motion. Why we have convoluted punt schemes is beyond me, but at least we list the gunners on the depth chart.
Salt in wound:
Kiffin admits he didn't have a punt block called.

"We were actually in punt safe, and Ced just made a great play," Kiffin said. "I could be like every other coach and be like, 'You know, we worked on that all week. It was all us.' No, that's a really good player making a good play.
Johnson gave his first-hand account of the block in the postgame press conference.

"I'm like, OK, I'm just going to run off the ball like I always do. So, I'm running off the ball, I didn't think I was running as fast as I was," Johnson said. "They slid away from me, and I'm like, the punter's coming my way, so I'm seeing it (and) I'm like, 'I might be able to block this.' And then I actually blocked it. So, it was great."

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Salt in wound:

Collins isn't a bad person
Yeah, well ... he is a bad person. Seriously. Has nothing to do with results, or the lack thereof on the field.