Issues with Youtube TV

techfan#14

Jolly Good Fellow
Why is this happening? Dish pulled them as well and I didnt even know it until just before he season began..

GTFLETCH

Banned
Why is this happening? Dish pulled them as well and I didnt even know it until just before he season began..
Not sure... It appears they are dropping FOX sports and carrying MLB and NBA TV channels.... Maybe they know something..( MLB, NBA,NHL might be leaving RSNs??)

IMHO Hulu Live TV is the best IPTV service ... It also carries everything for the college FB fan..

Last edited:

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Only one answer to that question - $$$$

And, it is absolutely frustrating that YTTV raised their price just recently 30%. I do not agree HULU is better, but because it is cheaper, I am currently using it as well. I have had more freeze ups and kick outs with HULU, where there were virtually none with YTTV. I will admit that most of this is on my Samsung TV, so I believe the HULU app for my TV sucks. We haven't had as much issue with other TV's using the ROKU.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

It is because of money. YTTV and the owner of the regional networks have not been able to reach a deal on how much to pay for those channels.

The details of negotiations and contacts are usually kept confidential. They often argue over: Price, How many customers get the channel and have to pay(for instance whether it can be in a sports package or everyone has to get it, carrier advertising time on the channel, and others. Cost per subscriber is pretty easy to understand. Channels often want every subscriber to have their channel included, whether the customer wants it or not. For instance, rumors were that ESPN required that the SEC network be carried nationwide and people in areas not in SEC territory had to pay $0.30-$0.40 while people inside the territory have to pay about $1.25. That is a lot of money for subscribers outside the area, most of which don't care if they have the SEC network or not.

I haven't heard any rumors about whether this dispute is purely about cost, or whether YTTV would like to move those channels to a sports package to keep costs for non-sports subscribers down. I wouldn't be surprised about either.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Here is a good read....

Regional sports networks have an uncertain future. Channels like YES, SNY, MSG, NESN, and others are must-have networks for fans of local MLB, NBA, and NHL teams, but as the streaming landscape changes, these networks could go from high-earning essentials to abandoned middlemen.

The big-picture problem is that RSNs are in so many ways relics of the cable era. They are regional by definition, and they act as middlemen between sports teams and pay-TV companies (except, of course, when they are owned by the teams themselves -- as is the case with YES, among other relatively few examples).

Streaming services don't require RSNs. MLB TV subscribers can stream regular-season games from outside of the local market. The broadcasts on MLB TV are the same ones that go out over the RSNs. But the MLB TV model also proves that MLB can distribute its own broadcasts. The teams already generally produce these broadcasts; if a team switches TV (or, for that matter, radio) broadcast channels, it keeps the same announcers and the same "show." RSNs are in the distribution business, not in the business of paying broadcasters and producing live sports programming.

A streaming future for baseball -- and NBA and NHL, too -- wouldn't necessarily require RSNs. And it may well exclude them. MLB teams recently got the right the sell their own local streaming rights (the league previously handled this on behalf of the teams), and while teams do have to respect existing streaming contracts with RSNs, they are free to move on once those contracts expire. At that point, some RSNs may find themselves being undercut by streaming alternatives of the very same broadcasts.

Link

GTFLETCH

Banned
With MLB & NBA TV looking at streaming their games in the future it appears YTTV is all in on MLB and NBA TV streaming and thus do not care to carry the RSN... ACC FB games is just a by product of the TV deal that will be corrected (and put on the ACCN) in a few years.

Rumor is Sinclair will rebrand the RSN to their Stadium Network and carry MWC and PAC12 games in the future...Only time will tell if that is true.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
I left Comcast when they would not carry the ACC network, and went to YTTV. Yesterday I cancelled YouTube TV and went to Hulu Live. YTTV seems pretty un-customer friendly ( either don't care or unaware) to raise the price and drop sports channels in successive months.

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
I think this same thing happened several months ago with YTTV and the Regional Foxes. It was resolved for most areas of the country, except for mine. After YTTV upped it's fee, we switched to Hulu LIve. The Hulu interface isn't nearly as good with rewinding and fast forwarding, and it occasionally drops out (we watch thru Roku). However, I do get all the RSNs, ESPNs, and the ACCN so I'm willing to put up with it.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
This was mostly caused by Sinclair's purchase of the Fox regional channels. Sinclair paid too much and they're trying to recoup that by raising fees beyond what the carriers are wiling to pay. I assume they are also not allowing the channels to be sold as a separate package - that's a common stipulation.

Their contract with Hulu live hasn't ended yet. I wonder if we'll see the same issue then.

plangineer

Jolly Good Fellow
I wonder if the original contract was based on seasons (so until the end of hockey or basketball season) and they're arguing over what to follow - this year or past years? YTTV would essentially be getting a few 'free' months and I wouldn't be surprised if Fox tried to ask for more money to get back those costs.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I left Comcast when they would not carry the ACC network, and went to YTTV. Yesterday I cancelled YouTube TV and went to Hulu Live. YTTV seems pretty un-customer friendly ( either don't care or unaware) to raise the price and drop sports channels in successive months.

I don't think that any of the TV service providers are unfriendly to customers with respect to pricing and channel availability. AT&T and Comcast do have terrible customer service reputations. The customer just doesn't have any interaction with nor any knowledge of the content providers, so the TV service provider gets all of the anger from customers.

I think the issues with programming availability and pricing has more to do with the market changing. 20 years ago you had to have cable or satellite to get programming. Now you can get basically a "cable" package for streaming live TV on the internet. You can also get on demand programming with many services. Even local TV stations are making a large portion of their revenue from carriage fees instead of ads. The only real reasons anyone needs live TV are sports and awards programming. Other than that, there isn't anything that you couldn't just put on demand and let people stream it. The internet streaming "cable" services started as a way to spend less money and still have live TV. I don't think that is where things will be 10 years from now, or maybe even 5 years from now. I think the content people, MLB, NBA, Disney/ESPN, Comcast/Universal, etc. will all end up cutting out the TV service providers entirely. It won't end bundling, as Disney/ESPN will probably make you subscribe to a large portion of their content in order to get any of their content.

TV channels can't make as much money with ads as they used to and are pushing for higher and higher carriage fees. TV service providers can't keep subscriber pricing low and pay higher and higher carriage fees to TV channels. Customers don't want to lose TV channels and don't want to pay higher pricing for service. It is just a changing market that is in flux and is painful for all involved.

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
I had on YTTV for years and was really happy with it. I dropped it when they raised the price from $40 to $65. I originally switched to Hulu but once you add in the extras like advanced DVR and unlimited screens it cost just as much. Also Hulu’s format and app are absolutely awful. I switched to AT&T TV Now. It’s $80 but I get HBO Max free which I was paying for separate so it’s actually the same price as YTTV. I actually like the format and guide better than all of them. Plus you get the ACC network and Fox regional sports.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
I have not read the entire thread but will respond with what I know. I had YTTV until they raised the rates $15, Briefly tried FUBO but they were supposed to get ABC and the ESPN networks which proved partially false. I now have HULU + and like it pretty well. With all three l had breaks in streaming due to connection issues. I use ATT Uverse ISP and blame their router mostly. I disabled their router and bought a wifi 6 router which improved the availability by
about 75%. I also have a TV where my Roku is mounted directly on the HDMI port and it sags a bit once in a while causing a glitch.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I had on YTTV for years and was really happy with it. I dropped it when they raised the price from $40 to $65. I originally switched to Hulu but once you add in the extras like advanced DVR and unlimited screens it cost just as much. Also Hulu’s format and app are absolutely awful. I switched to AT&T TV Now. It’s $80 but I get HBO Max free which I was paying for separate so it’s actually the same price as YTTV. I actually like the format and guide better than all of them. Plus you get the ACC network and Fox regional sports.
I got a trial of AT&t TV to watch the game last week and it seemed okay except it didn't allow me to pause or rewind live TV. That's one of the things I love most about YouTube TV. If I'm watching a game and I need to get up and go do something I can pause it and come back later and then just skip through commercials until I'm live again. Also if I happen to be late to the start of the game I can start it from the beginning. I don't know if that's a possibility with AT&t TV but with my trial subscription and streaming it through my phone and Roku it did not allow me to do that.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This was mostly caused by Sinclair's purchase of the Fox regional channels. Sinclair paid too much and they're trying to recoup that by raising fees beyond what the carriers are wiling to pay. I assume they are also not allowing the channels to be sold as a separate package - that's a common stipulation.

Their contract with Hulu live hasn't ended yet. I wonder if we'll see the same issue then.
That’s exactly the reason. It ruined my ability to watch the Braves and now it’s ruining my ability to watch the Jackets. I hate the mouse had to auction off those fox sports networks

GTFLETCH

Banned
There is an article out there that talks about how great AT&T Now is the best for sports fans...

GTFLETCH

Banned
Here is what I have since ACC will be using RSN thru 2026-27 season I have broke this down to All ACC CHANNELS( includes RSN), Most(No RSN, but ACCN), None...

Includes ALL ACC Sports Channels

$55/month - Hulu Live TV - ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPNU, ESPN GoalLine, ESPN College Extra, FS1, FS2, CBSSN, NBCSN, Golf Channel, Olympic Channel, TBS, TNT, TruTV, Big 10 Network, SEC Network, ACC Network, Local ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX Affiliate and RSN (if available) ESPN3 Content can be accessed with a Hulu Live TV login in the ESPN app.

$80/month - AT&T TV NOW - ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPNU, FS1, FS2, CBSSN, NBCSN, Golf Channel, Olympic Channel, TBS, TNT, TruTV, Big 10 Network, SEC Network, ACC Network, Longhorn Network, Local ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX Affiliate and RSN (if available) ESPN3 Content can be accessed with a AT&T TV NOW login in the ESPN app.

Includes Most ACC Sports Channels (No RSNs)

$40/month - Sling Orange + Sports Pack - ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3 content, ESPNews, ESPNU, ESPN Goal Line/Bases Loaded, SEC Network, ACC Network, TBS, TNT, PAC 12 Network, NBA Network, NHL Network, MLB Network, MLB Strikezone, Tennis Channel, BEIN Sports, Stadium, OutsideTV.
The cheapest price point available to get all ESPN Networks, TBS, and TNT with most other specialty sport networks. MISSING: most RSNs, CBSSN, Big 10 Network, FS1/FS2, NBCSN, Golf, and Olympic.

$50/month - Vidgo Plus - ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, ESPNews, ESPNU, ESPN Goal Line/Bases Loaded, SEC Network, ACC Network, Longhorn Network, FS1, FS2, Fox Deportes, Big Ten Network, Local FOX/ABC Affiliates, NFL Network, NFL Redzone Pac 12 Network and Regional PAC 12 Networks, BEIN Sports, Stadium, MAV TV
New Sevice that had added ESPN and Fox Networks plus Redzone. This package is worth a look for college sports fans. MISSING: RSN, NBC, NBCSN, CBS, CBSSN, NBA, NHL, MLB, Golf, Olympic, Tennis.

$60/month - Sling Orange/Blue Combo with Sports - ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3 content, ESPNews, ESPNU, ESPN Goal Line/Bases Loaded, SEC Network, ACC Network, FS1, FS2, NBCSN, Local FOX/NBC Affiliate and NBC RSN (if available), TBS, TNT, TruTv, NFL Network, NFL RedZone, NBA Network, NHL Network, MLB Network, MLB Strikezone, Tennis Channel, Golf Channel, Olympic Channel, Pac 12 Network, BEIN Sports, Stadium, OutsideTV. Gets you pretty much all sports channels except most RSNs, CBSSN and the Big 10 Network which is coming for 2020 football season.

$65/month - YouTube TV - ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPNU, FS1, FS2, CBSSN, NBCSN, Golf Channel, Olympic Channel, TBS, TNT, TruTV, Big 10 Network, SEC Network, ACC Network, NBA Network, MLB Network, Tennis Channel, Local ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX YouTube TV is probably the most well rounded package for sports if you do not need RSNs or NFL Network. ESPN 3 content is available via ESPN app.

Does Not Include ACC Sports

$8/month - Fanatiz - BEIN Sports, BEIN Espanol, BEIN Sports Connect Online Channels, Gol TV English and Spanish, TYC Sports International, Nuestre Tele International. An affordable soccer focused streaming service. [DOES NOT INCLUDE MOST ACC SPORTS].

$10/month - Sling World Sports - BEIN Sports, BEIN Sports Connect Online Channels, Outside TV, Willow TV, Willow TV Extra, Nautical Channel. An easy way to add BEIN if your main provider doesn't carry it or if BEIN is all you want. Willow is a cricket network too. [DOES NOT INCLUDE MOST ACC SPORTS].

$30/month - Sling Orange - ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3 content, TBS, TNT, Stadium
The cheapest price point available to get ESPN/2, TBS, and TNT. Also includes easy access to Stadium. [Includes some ACC sports, but not the ACC Network or ESPNU].

$30/month - Sling Blue - FS1, NBCSN, Local FOX/NBC affiliate and NBC RSN (if available), TBS, TNT, TruTV, NFL Network, Stadium. The cheapest price point available to get FOX/NBC/Turner/NFL Network. Also includes easy access to Stadium. [DOES NOT INCLUDE MOST ACC SPORTS].

$40/month - Sling Blue + Sports Pack - FS1, NBCSN, Local FOX/NBC Affiliate and NBC RSN (if available), TBS, TNT, TruTv, NFL Network, NFL RedZone, NBA Network, NHL Network, MLB Network, MLB Strikezone, Tennis Channel, Golf Channel, Olympic Channel, Pac 12 Network, BEIN Sports, Stadium, OutsideTV. Gets you many sports channels. MISSING: most RSNs, the ESPN Networks, CBSSN, Big 10 Network (noted as coming in 2020 for football season). [DOES NOT INCLUDE MOST ACC SPORTS].

$55/month - FuboTv - FS1, FS2, CBSSN, NBCSN, Golf Channel, Olympic Channel, TBS, TNT, TruTV, Big 10 Network, PAC 12 Network, NFL Network, NBA Network, BEIN, TVG, Local NBC/CBS/FOX and RSN (If available) FUBO also carries the Univision networks which is what sets them apart
Fubo has a sports pack available for additional $11/month which will add NFL Redzone, Tennis Channel, Stadium and the Stadium Xtra channels and other minor Sports Networks/Alternate feeds like the PAC 12 regional networks, Fox College Sports Network, and Gol TV. [DOES NOT INCLUDE MOST ACC SPORTS].

Link

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Sling orange does not have FOX RSNs. I signed up for it last week to see the Syracuse game, and canceled 30 minutes later and got HULU because no Fox RSNs.