Is this our best coaching staff of all time?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Okay...it's early. Too early.

But I'm curious...we know that there will be a lot of experienced coaches, analysts, and consultants, etc. on the Tech sidelines this coming fall.

And yeah, Heisman, Dodd, yada, yada, yada. Luminaries, I know.

But in terms of cumulative resume strength, how does the currently assembled coaching staff compare to past years?

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
No

You could make an argument that last year's staff was better, resume wise. There's not much that separates this staff from others based on resume. We'll see how well they perform, I trust Key to understand how the staff fits into Tech and with each other better than the last few years so I expect us to look more organized at a minimum. I like the focus on bringing in more analysts, but watch the NCAA start cracking down right as we finally catch on and pull that rug out from under us lol.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

But I'm curious...we know that there will be a lot of experienced coaches, analysts, and consultants, etc. on the Tech sidelines this coming fall.

But in terms of cumulative resume strength, how does the currently assembled coaching staff compare to past years?
I was going to say Pepper Rogers had Steve Spurrier as his OC and Jerry Glanville as his DC, but someone else already mentioned it.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
No

You could make an argument that last year's staff was better, resume wise. There's not much that separates this staff from others based on resume. We'll see how well they perform, I trust Key to understand how the staff fits into Tech and with each other better than the last few years so I expect us to look more organized at a minimum. I like the focus on bringing in more analysts, but watch the NCAA start cracking down right as we finally catch on and pull that rug out from under us lol.

AFCA director Todd Berry: “There’s a lot of coaches right now just saying ‘Let’s blow the whole thing up.’ … It looks like a free for all right now because, quite frankly, it is.”

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

AFCA director Todd Berry: “There’s a lot of coaches right now just saying ‘Let’s blow the whole thing up.’ … It looks like a free for all right now because, quite frankly, it is.”

This comment deserves its own thread. A lot to unpack if the coaches themselves are saying throw out the rules.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I really like Key and think so far, he has done a good job picking his staff. But it is a new staff that has not coached together. So, to say this is a good staff or bad staff would not be fair. The real story is will they be able to work together. And that is something that we won't know until next year.

( But one thing I have learned about Tech fans is after a win they think we are great and could beat anyone. But after a loss they think we suck and can't be anyone.)

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Huh? Who on our staff has a great resume? I think we hope they will be great, but pretty much everyone on staff has something to prove because this job is a step above anything theyve ever done before.
Our current coaching staff has a total of seven national championship rings - earned either as players or coaches.

I agree that they still have a lot to prove in their current roles, but these folks have won it all before.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
1990 was STRONG. That staff was loaded.

In the 1970s, Jerry Glanville and Steve Spurrier were just two of Pepper’s coaches.

Not to mention that Bud Carson turned out OK in the Pro’s.
Yeah, that's an amazing group.

BUT my question would be: Were those guys a bunch of unknowns at the time they came to Tech who later went on to greatness? Or were they already proven commodities when they arrived on the Flats?

If the latter, okay...that WAS a great assemblage of coaching talent. If the former, well...they obviously had potential...but how many of them had ALREADY won a NC prior to joining Pepper's Posse?

The Key Crew(TM) has seven. Or so I'm told. :)

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't alive back then, but I think the 1990 natty coaching staff is our greatest ever. Ross, Ralph, and GOL on the SAME staff is impressive. In the late 90's-early 00's we had an nice staff as well. GOL, Ralph, BOB, Ted Roof, and a little known grad asst. named Brent Key.

I was born in '06, so the best staff we've had in my lifetime is probably the current one.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't alive back then, but I think the 1990 natty coaching staff is our greatest ever. Ross, Ralph, and GOL on the SAME staff is impressive. In the late 90's-early 00's we had an nice staff as well. GOL, Ralph, BOB, Ted Roof, and a little known grad asst. named Brent Key.

I was born in '06, so the best staff we've had in my lifetime is probably the current one.
Wait...did you say "06" as in 2006?

:oops:

They let kids in here???

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

dude, try thinking before you post

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
dude, try thinking before you post
Come on Ugablows, dude is just trying channel his excitement for the coming season
Pop Tv Sarcasm GIF by Schitt's Creek

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I was going to say Pepper Rogers had Steve Spurrier as his OC and Jerry Glanville as his DC, but someone else already mentioned it.

I am probably remembering this wrong but I though Spurrier was the QB Coach. I also thought that he applied for the head coaching job after Pepper was let go but we turned him down.