Is this a hold?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I watched USF's TD play 5-6 times. Can't tell if it's a hold or if our DL tripped. It had all the optics of a hold in real-time to me.

Interested in other interpretations.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Looked more like a tackle from the side.

The officials were not going to call holding.

They had plenty of opportunities, I believe neither offensive lines got a holding call on Saturday. I find it interesting now that if the offensive player is holding the defensive player with his hands on the front of the defensive player, no holding will be called. It is legal and effective. Even with how tight the players jerseys fit, the offensive player can get a grip on the defensive player.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Looks like he tripped. Too sudden for it to be a hold, and the trip seemed incidental.

its a hold the second you reach and grab. How sudden is it when a db grabs a wr with a hand and holds...split second. Called all the time. There is no sustainability requirement to be called a hold. The mere action of him reaching across his shoulders from the side and grabbing, even if for an minute time, the fact he made contact in that fashion and impedes him is a hold. its a bad no call.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There was a huge hold on that 50 yard USF QB runout in the second half. Ref looking right at it. Our guy had beaten the OL and was past him when grabbed to protect the QB. The play would have been stuffed in the backfield. It happened right in front of me.