“Competing” open Head Coaching jobs

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
You can believe what you want to believe. The talent level on the offensive line was non existent after Braun left and the other medical redshirts.

Also, if we did not have a QB to run that offense, then we did not have the talent at that position to run that offense. Saying we could have picked up a player on the transfer portal kinds proves my point.

I am saying we had the QB talent to run a spread option attack from the gun. That has the same play action passing game. We also could have ran a run and shoot passing game with the arm talent we had (especially if lucas johnson had stayed healthy).

As for the O line. Those types of schemes are less reliant on backfoot pass blocking. They tried to go straight to an RPO. it failed.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I am saying we had the QB talent to run a spread option attack from the gun. That has the same play action passing game. We also could have ran a run and shoot passing game with the arm talent we had (especially if lucas johnson had stayed healthy).

As for the O line. Those types of schemes are less reliant on backfoot pass blocking. They tried to go straight to an RPO. it failed.
I think you are kidding yourself if you think we had the talent to run any offense effectively other than the one that CPJ ran.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

CPJ won 11 games his last two years with that OL. We averaged 40% completion and around 1,000 yards passing those last two years under CPJ. If CPJ couldn't get it to work, and he's a legit HoF coach, what makes you think Collins could have come in and magically squeezed 6-7 wins a year out of that group?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I think you are kidding yourself if you think we had the talent to run any offense effectively other than the one that CPJ ran.

I am not sure you understand how similar Johnsons offense was to several other in the same tree. I am also not sure you have any idea what you are talking about with regards to offensive football.

Do you actually know what a Run and shoot, or gun spread is vs say a Post snap RPO based offense?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
CPJ won 11 games his last two years with that OL. We averaged 40% completion and around 1,000 yards passing those last two years under CPJ. If CPJ couldn't get it to work, and he's a legit HoF coach, what makes you think Collins could have come in and magically squeezed 6-7 wins a year out of that group?

If we are going with coulda shouldas. Johnson lost most of those games by one score and had defensive problems. Lucas Johnson got hurt before 2018 when he was poised to give marshall a run on being the QB. Our passing success was less on the o-line and more on marshall just not being that great of a thrower and making a lot of the wrong reads in the passing game.

Collins wasn't going to squeeze any wins more than he got because he was a joke. A different coach with a better grasp of what he had and running an offense that fit his personnel easily could have reached 6 wins.

We chose to rip the bandaid off, had no offensive identity and hid behind excuses.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
What is does "effectively" mean here? I honestly believe we had enough talent to run another offense more effectively than how we've run what we have the past 3.5 years

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If we are going with coulda shouldas. Johnson lost most of those games by one score and had defensive problems. Lucas Johnson got hurt before 2018 when he was poised to give marshall a run on being the QB. Our passing success was less on the o-line and more on marshall just not being that great of a thrower and making a lot of the wrong reads in the passing game.

Collins wasn't going to squeeze any wins more than he got because he was a joke. A different coach with a better grasp of what he had and running an offense that fit his personnel easily could have reached 6 wins.

We chose to rip the bandaid off, had no offensive identity and hid behind excuses.

I never went coulda woulda shoulda. I pointed to known facts to pose a legitimate question. Those facts point to a level of talent struggling to run the offense they were hand picked for under the direction of the best guy possible to coach that offense and yet many fans hold the belief that they would have been able to magically win 6-7 games had the new staff simply schemed around their strengths.

FWIW, I have been told several times by several different people knowledgeable of the situation that Collins was pretty much told to rip the band-aid off by the AD/Donors, which is probably why TStan went all in with him last season.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I have been told several times by several different people knowledgeable of the situation that Collins was pretty much told to rip the band-aid off by the AD/Donors, which is probably why TStan went all in with him last season.

Man, I keep seeing the word "donors" pop up, and it's scaring the h%ll out of me. It keeps popping up in our coaching and AD search. It's popped up with CGC and why he was hired.

That's why Texas, with the most resources among all college programs, can never live up to their potential. It's why A&M overpaid for a coach...and want that exact same coach fired on what would be a record breaking buyout. It's why Tennessee was in hell until they told the biggest donor of them all to pound sand. It's why Auburn, with all of their resources, won't get close to the type of coach they should get.

Now it seems like GT is going to go down the road of Donors trying to steer this boat into...? I get the distinct feeling that Cabrera put Neville in charge because he wants to find out what's going on with our athletic program.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Man, I keep seeing the word "donors" pop up, and it's scaring the h%ll out of me. It keeps popping up in our coaching and AD search. It's popped up with CGC and why he was hired.

That's why Texas, with the most resources among all college programs, can never live up to their potential. It's why A&M overpaid for a coach...and want that exact same coach fired on what would be a record breaking buyout. It's why Tennessee was in hell until they told the biggest donor of them all to pound sand. It's why Auburn, with all of their resources, won't get close to the type of coach they should get.

Now it seems like GT is going to go down the road of Donors trying to steer this boat into...? I get the distinct feeling that Cabrera put Neville in charge because he wants to find out what's going on with our athletic program.

I don't know that you are wrong.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I never went coulda woulda shoulda. I pointed to known facts to pose a legitimate question. Those facts point to a level of talent struggling to run the offense they were hand picked for under the direction of the best guy possible to coach that offense and yet many fans hold the belief that they would have been able to magically win 6-7 games had the new staff simply schemed around their strengths.

I will counter with this most of these players never played in Johnsons offense in highschool we were sorta gone from the days where his offense was actually run often at the highschool level. Most highschools had actually gone to the Clemson style spread by the end of Johnson's career (yates played in this and won a championship with it) so getting our lineman ready to play in johnson's offense was starting to take longer and imo was actually what was exposing sewak even more.

We were not ready to go to the catch and move styles of an RPO offense. We very much could have transitioned to a power run offense or another form of spread option that looked a little more modern. Hell we probably actually could have transitioned to an air raid. (air raid offenses are predicated actually on getting the ball out quickly on fast mesh routs or swing passes if the streak isn't open). But that would have required a new QB (though air raid QBs are all over the portal).

Our offense was not a problem in 2018 according to espn we Averaged 33.6 points per game. We were more productive on the ground than 2016, which sorta speaks to the primary part of the offense working. We had a few games we got shut down in Clemons UGa and MINN. and a an argument with Pitt though we sorta still ran for over 320 yards we just turned the ball over and missed a field goal and duke in which we turned over the game.

In 2017 it could be argued we struggled. That one was definitely not as productive but comparing to 2016 we only average 28.1 ppg instead of 28.2.

The point being Johnson wasn't struggling to run an offense. he was struggling to pass in an offense that had a lot to do with who he had throwing the ball.

TheNaturalScientist

Jolly Good Fellow

There are some differences though. Texas A&M and soon to be Texas donors, expect their program to consistently beat Saban and compete for NC. No one has been able to do that besides Dabo with a couple of once in a generation QBs and now Kirby with 5 star players at 3rd and 4th string. At GT, as cool as it would be to compete for a NC, the hope is that the bar would be 7-8 wins every year, beat UGA and Clemson 1 every 4 times and be in a NY6 bowl game every 4-5 years. Huge difference

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
There are some differences though. Texas A&M and soon to be Texas donors, expect their program to consistently beat Saban and compete for NC. No one has been able to do that besides Dabo with a couple of once in a generation QBs and now Kirby with 5 star players at 3rd and 4th string. At GT, as cool as it would be to compete for a NC, the hope is that the bar would be 7-8 wins every year, beat UGA and Clemson 1 every 4 times and be in a NY6 bowl game every 4-5 years. Huge difference

kirby couln't even beat Saban when saban had a team at full strength. He took advantage of a very injured WR corps.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, It's being reported that Chryst was due over $16MM, but has agreed to something significantly less ($8-10MM range). Wonder if GT can work a little magic with Collins.

Also, while I don't expect a change, Mich St giving Mel Tucker an almost $10MM/yr contract last year doesn't look quite as good right now. 2-3 with no wins over P5 teams. Their remaining schedule could easily see them go 6-6 or 5-7 (they still have OSU, @MI @Penn St) as well as games against WI and @ILL.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
And yet every QB Collins inherited was a CPJ recruit. Wasn't til 2020 we got Sims and pressed him into an immediate starting role as a true freshman.

Yes But im not sure he needed to had he ran a different offense. Graham could run a spread option. Oliver could have had a Teebow type role in such an offense. He pressed sims into service because we got his commitment by promising him he'd be the starter.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yes But im not sure he needed to had he ran a different offense. Graham could run a spread option. Oliver could have had a Teebow type role in such an offense. He pressed sims into service because we got his commitment by promising him he'd be the starter.

I don't think any additional facts are going to change your opinion on this. Graham was given the opportunity to play QB. He's not a P5 QB. The ONLY player on our roster that could have maybe made a difference that year was Yates, and he got absolutely destroyed during the VT game.

This all ignores the fact that I'm pretty sure he was handcuffed in what kinds of offense he could run.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I don't think any additional facts are going to change your opinion on this. Graham was given the opportunity to play QB. He's not a P5 QB. The ONLY player on our roster that could have maybe made a difference that year was Yates, and he got absolutely destroyed during the VT game.

This all ignores the fact that I'm pretty sure he was handcuffed in what kinds of offense he could run.

He easily could have ran a power run offense and still been pro-style. I doubt they told him he had to run an RPO.

Yates was a freshman in 2019 a true freshman actually and I wouldn't think coming into a game where you are down like we were was going to show off anything.