Is the Ft. Myers Tip-Off still on?

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
Well this tournament exposed our lack of sets and ball movement. All Marquette did was make the extra pass, hell all the basketball I've watched teams, made extra passes it's called "1 more". It's early enough we can bag & trash the offense & coach can start coaching them to make more passes & run some sets. If not then us members will have to get use to get our azzes thrashed.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Pastner did not have this team ready for prime time. I hope they are better than what they have shown so far. We looked like a division II team against Marquette. I’m not sure if we have second rate talent or second rate coaching or both. How many seasons of this crap do we have to put up with. Deebo and Kelly look like scrubs. What the hell? Our best player, maybe only good player, is a transfer from South Alabama.

The talent is there. But the direction the coaching staff has taken this team just makes no sense. We start two point guards so we can run our offense through our non play making 4 who is playing at the 5 to generate tough, contested turn around mid range shots. And the cherry on top is that we sacrifice defense to make that happen. I don't know what the coaching staff thought when they decided to go this route because I don't see any logic to it. It's not just that we're playing poorly (our shooting has compounded the issues) but there is just no rhyme or reason to what we are trying to do.

ole ball coach

Georgia Tech Fan
We have no height, are not very athletic and cannot shoot. I'm definitely not a basketball expert by any means but if that's what you have to work with, probably not going to be very good.

The good news is it's still early, hopefully our shooting will get better and we'll have a chance to improve.

Tough to watch right now.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
We have guys who can shoot. You saw that last season.

The issue is they need open looks to shoot. Nothing is open and nothing is in rhythm. The go-to guy is the open guy, the open guy doesn’t exist. We can’t make the extra pass because the pass before the extra pass never happens.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
These two games are ALL ON PASTNER AND COACHING. So outcoached, it is embarrassing. Looked like a cupcake exhibition game for Marquette. What are you doing Pastner? And I’ve been a supporter, but either his ignorance, inability, or stubbornness to put in an effective offense with THIS roster will clearly expose the players. Feel bad for these kids. They deserve something more than one guy dribble, 4 guys stand. Where is the movement and action? I’ve seen better action in pickup games at a local church. Pastner says this team can shoot, game plan so they can. Two awful coaching games, IMO.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Also, how can you not have a guy in the middle of floor near half court against that press? They did it once in 2nd half and led to half court break with numbers. Why put everyone near the sidelines or baselines - that’s 4th grade stuff. Wow. It’s called floor spacing with balanced attack with pass to middle. Shocked it took a half to figure that out.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Also, how can you not have a guy in the middle of floor near half court against that press? They did it once in 2nd half and led to half court break with numbers. Why put everyone near the sidelines or baselines - that’s 4th grade stuff. Wow. It’s called floor spacing with balanced attack with pass to middle. Shocked it took a half to figure that out.
Shaka has only been using the press for over a decade. Our amazing coaching staff must have been caught by surprise.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Every year we on the board start out just hoping the team will have a 500 record. Batt needs to take a hard look at the basketball program after he gets the football program straightened out. There’s no reason we should be this bad every year. Yeah we had one decent year but overall we are not good. Being in ATL and the ACC we should at least have a respectable program.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if the long time assistant that left after last season for the head coaching job out west was more important that we thought. They look very poorly coached tonight.
I believe you have put your finger on the problem.

it’s critical to get the right assistant coaches. Looks like we haven’t.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if the long time assistant that left after last season for the head coaching job out west was more important that we thought. They look very poorly coached tonight.
Oregon State plays Duke tomorrow at noon if you want to see Rev’s new team in action against a quality opponent. They were 3-28 last year and ended the year on an 18 game losing streak, so he would’ve had a lot to work on in the off-season.

2ndgenjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Maybe it’s like all of you say and it’s all lack of coaching, but our so called stars look soft to me with no heart/no desire. Stand around looking for their 3 and don’t want to do the dirty team work. Best players on the team are Franklin and Devion. And I applaud Devion for kicking that ball in disgust. At least he showed some sign of life.
The defense was pitiful all night too.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Maybe it’s like all of you say and it’s all lack of coaching, but our so called stars look soft to me with no heart/no desire. Stand around looking for their 3 and don’t want to do the dirty team work. Best players on the team are Franklin and Devion. And I applaud Devion for kicking that ball in disgust. At least he showed some sign of life.
The defense was pitiful all night too.
Sounds like a coaching issue to me. If a coach can’t get his team to play hard or together that’s on him.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Also of Marquette’s top eight players by minutes tonight:
1 Jr
5 Soph
2 Fresh
Destroyed by a very young team. “Winning is hard” - said a well-known coach. I’m still hopeful, and rooting every game, but the excuses wearing thin.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
We are not a very good team, especially when we have nobody over 6'7 contributing to the team. We are small, and we get out of rhythm a lot on offense. Which is a very bad mix to play vs ACC teams.

It's going to be a very long year.

slugboy

Staff member
Oregon State plays Duke tomorrow at noon if you want to see Rev’s new team in action against a quality opponent. They were 3-28 last year and ended the year on an 18 game losing streak, so he would’ve had a lot to work on in the off-season.

Reveno did some super things while he was here. His work to get NCAA players the day off for election day wasn’t on the court, but that took years and is something we can all be proud that he accomplished while he was here. He helped turn some centers and forwards into much better players. I think he’s clearly a talented coach.

But we had a problem at the 5 last year with multiple players. The year before last, we moved Moses Wright to center because we weren’t getting what we needed out of that spot. It’s been a problem since James Banks graduated.

I think if Rev had stayed, we’d still have the same problem there. It’s a chronic problem for us right now; we start the season trying to do what we did with Lammers years ago, it doesn’t work, and we shift players around to cover for it.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
Why does everyone else see the issue is with the offense, except the coaches. Why haven't anyone that claims they know & bump elbows with CJP shared some content with him. I have been concerned about our offense for a while, even watching what they do coming out of a timeout or to begin the 2nd half shows there isn't a lot of emphasis into running something. If they are running anything I'm for certain the play is getting broken off. Deebo & Miles will shake off their bad shooting woes. I think if CJP wants to preserve the remainder of the season & keep his hind off the hot seat he will strongly consider making some adjustments to the offense.

If you're reading this CJP the Princeton Offense is not conducive for your pool of players that you have right now. I know coaches will recruit players that are fits for their system, but that is not the case right now, and when coaches have been unable to do that they strategize alternatives clearly you haven't done that. Run some misdirection stuff get Deebo & Miles going run some sets for them, make the guys guarding them run off some screens which your offense lacks. You are not getting any cuts to the basket because the defenders are clogging the paint so there are no driving lanes, but you still allow smaller guards to force the issue. Have the rebounder start pitching the ball ahead to the guys who are running the lanes it's called primary break. We have to start getting as many easy buckets as we can. I'm sure your wings can score on pitch aheads and in transition, since we have been lacking 1/2 court offense it seems like you would fully encourage primary break scoring. Put Rodney in some P&R action that may help open floor up. Also, Deebo is a guard clearly he is playing out of position so there have been games where he has a 4-5 man guarding him on the perimeter. Maybe just maybe he could get some of those guys in foul trouble, which we lack to have opposing players in foul trouble, so why are you not game planning for those types of match-ups or in game scenarios, again that goes back to running sets. Devion is a strong driver with limited outside shooting, use him in some guard-guard side action that way he can put some pressure on the help defender that are covering your shooters that are just waiting in the corner for a pass that rarely if ever comes, instead of giving the ball a headache at the top of key. Marquette moved THEE Basketball they got open look after open look for their shooters so did Utah.
Majority of the members in this forum will agree you're a wonderful person and a very like able guy, but patience of figuring this non rocket science game out is becoming frustrating. We should 5-0 right now CJP.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
Reveno did some super things while he was here. His work to get NCAA players the day off for election day wasn’t on the court, but that took years and is something we can all be proud that he accomplished while he was here. He helped turn some centers and forwards into much better players. I think he’s clearly a talented coach.

But we had a problem at the 5 last year with multiple players. The year before last, we moved Moses Wright to center because we weren’t getting what we needed out of that spot. It’s been a problem since James Banks graduated.

I think if Rev had stayed, we’d still have the same problem there. It’s a chronic problem for us right now; we start the season trying to do what we did with Lammers years ago, it doesn’t work, and we shift players around to cover for it.
Lammers could execute one of the main options of the high post of fence that kept the defense honest, he could simply shoot the ball with a high percentage

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Again, you could see this coming with the 2 best players (by far) gone and now Rodney disappearing and no coordinated Offense.Think of the team without Javon--who hardly played at first of yr.Scary,really scary..