Is the Ft. Myers Tip-Off still on?

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Frustrating game, especially on offense. There’s no excuse for our guards to miss that many free throws. Our defense was very active. I just feel like too many guys are too selfish on offense. For example, there was a three on one break at one point. Kelly forced up a shot getting blocked when he had two guys trailing for an easy dunk. On another occasion, we had a five on two break and shoot a three instead of scoring an easy two. Franklin needs to play all day over Howard. Let’s go get one tomorrow.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Well. I hate losing. Glad they battles back from being down 19, but it hurts to take a lead after that just to lose it again. Hope they bounce back

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Overall weird game. Got down by 19, stormed back to get a lead, and then looked we ran out of gas.

Lots of potential, but a lot of work to be done. Somebody needs to let the team know their hero ball is hurting more often than it's helping. I think part of it is because of poor off ball movement, and poor off ball screening, but while I like we are assertive we need people to be assertive in looking to create good looks, not just looks for themselves.

Also, Pastner and Crew have to find a way to play with a traditional C on the court in Howard. Franklin at the 5 isn't going to cut it come ACC time, and we're quickly going to become known for not playing bigs if we keep this up. If we really want a big to handle the ball at the 4 then play both Howard and Franklin. It won't work this year, but it's going to hurt worse even more next year as Franklin is the one person we're guaranteed to lose. Need to figure that out now.

We played well on defense and that kept us in the game. That's a good sign. Also didn't turn the ball over much, only 5 times. Have to think Coleman and Kelly won't combine for 3-15 on threes most nights but we have to start trying to generate them good looks. It seems our offense is all about getting our guards to take it into the post which is very odd to me.

Overall, probably not a bad loss at the end of the day and have to like the way the team fought back, but frustrating to say the least.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
There is a pattern to how our guards dribble drive deep into the lane, pick up their dribble, pivot to put their back to the basket, then shoot a turn around shot. In my opinion, they are clearly being coached to attack the basket using this pattern, but, in my opinion, they don’t connect at a high enough percentage to keep pursuing this strategy. If the guards are going to be encouraged to drive to the basket, they should be coached to finish by attacking the rim and forget about pivoting with their back to the basket. Or better yet, don’t expect to score points by coaching small, unathletic guards to score off dribble penetration. Move the ball and get open shots.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I really love our defense this year, and I like the effort that the guys play with. I think the offense will be fine when players learn their roles, but we have to make free throws. I do believe that we'll finish somewhere in the 7-9 range in the ACC though with this defense. We just need some tweaks here and there.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
There is a pattern to how our guards dribble drive deep into the lane, pick up their dribble, pivot to put their back to the basket, then shoot a turn around shot. In my opinion, they are clearly being coached to attack the basket using this pattern, but, in my opinion, they don’t connect at a high enough percentage to keep pursuing this strategy. If the guards are going to be encouraged to drive to the basket, they should be coached to finish by attacking the rim and forget about pivoting with their back to the basket. Or better yet, don’t expect to score points by coaching small, unathletic guards to score off dribble penetration. Move the ball and get open shots.
Yes I agree until we quit "giving the ball a headache" our offense will continue to struggle. How is it the forum members recognize these things, but yet our staff has not or has & are not willing to strategically make adjustments based on our personnel. We have known since summer 2021 that the Princeton O doesn't work w/Rodney no offense to him, but he is better around the basket as opposed to 15ft away from it. Why are we not running sets for Miles & Deebo clearly our best outside shooters.

When they pivot they should be trying to find the spot up shooters instead of throwing stuff up over bigs. Good PGs would/should instinctively know if I'm pivoting around 3-4 defenders someone is open somewhere. Also if I get a paint touch or hunt the nail I'm looking for where the help is coming from so that I can kick it to whoever he left. We take a timeout right before the 1/2, thinking something was drawn up, Miles comes out & dribbles for the last 10 seconds WTH. That worked against those smaller guards at GA State, Utah is not small!

You can tell the lack of sets by less than ideal guys doing less than ideal things in our 1/2 court offense. We are not a bad team, but lack of ball movement and not using our strengths will have us losing games we should win. We make FT's 11-20 may be game is different. Ok I won't finish book tonight I'll just stop on page 5. Still in Chapter 1 though

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
That was a painful shooting performance and clearly still a chance to win. Utah is likely not good, prob 10th in Pac12. Should have won this if we were the “good shooting team” that Pastner claimed.
Both teams had 24 2-pt FGs, 5 3-pt FGs, but they hit 4 more FTs. Our “good shooting team” has to hit FTs. Couldn’t hit ‘em on a neutral court. That’s concerning.

Terry - what’s up here? I thought he would be knock down. His type of misses don’t give confidence.
Kelly - wow, disappointed by the early signs. I know he hit game winner against Ga State, but he’s a sniper, he has to hit these open looks.
Howard - not sure what has happened. I think the coaches do NOT take advantage of his strengths. They put him in bad spot on offense. That’s on the coach.
Smith - ugh, he can ball, but he has to finish at rim. And hit his FTs. Such a problem last year, early signs this year. If he had Alvarado’s knack for finishing at the rim, Smith could make the end of a pro roster.

Agree with above, Pastner needs some sets for Kelly, Terry and Deebo, even Maxwell. My head will explode if Pastner waits til mid-February to put in sets for shooters.

Still VERY excited about surprises this team can pull, but need to win these early very winnable games.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am wondering when we decided that 7-9 in the ACC is something to hope for on our basketball program??? We had gone down a long way in the past 10-12 years apparently.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I am wondering when we decided that 7-9 in the ACC is something to hope for on our basketball program??? We had gone down a long way in the past 10-12 years apparently.
I'm not saying it's ideal, but I think that would put us on the bubble and at least give us a chance.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
If you look at the past 30 years there are not many seasons where we had a winning ACC record.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Despite having only 5 turnovers (and getting 19!!!) for the game, with us not being a good free throw shooting team and can't shoot worth a bucket of spit from the floor along with being out rebounded by 10 boards equals a loss tonight. The competition is only going to get more difficult.

With that said, we did climb out of a 19 point hole...

Screenshot_20221121-224926.png

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
Terrible night for Kelly, Terry and Howard. At least Maxwell had a good night. If a different offense can help Howard be better I’m all for it. But I’m not sure what offense that is. Kelly just needs to be reigned in. He let previous successes go to his head. The play at the end of the first half should have earned him some bench time. Disgusting. I’m for giving Tristan more of Terry’s minutes.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Poor showing. Way too much hero ball, especially by our athletic, backup point guard.
We’d have gotten blown out if Smith wasn’t in attack mode all game

Edit: I don’t think this is a recipe for success going forward, but no one else could shoot or create so I don’t know what else he was supposed to do.

Last edited:

Lone Star Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Terrible night for Kelly, Terry and Howard. At least Maxwell had a good night. If a different offense can help Howard be better I’m all for it. But I’m not sure what offense that is. Kelly just needs to be reigned in. He let previous successes go to his head. The play at the end of the first half should have earned him some bench time. Disgusting. I’m for giving Tristan more of Terry’s minutes.
When has Howard not been terrible?