Is the Ft. Myers Tip-Off still on?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was planning on going to Sanibel and getting some fishing and basketball in for that.

Obviously more pressing and important matters now due to the hurricane. That area was ROCKED...lots of tough months ahead for that area.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Our family house in Cape Coral took minor damage. Screen cage enclosing the pool and privacy fence are gone. Power and water came back a few days ago. Everything else in the area is an absolute disaster. Ft Myers and Ft Myers beach especially is gone. Talked to a contractor down there and they think it could take a few years to get everything back to what it was…. I asked him if he heard about the basketball games and he said it’s up in the air and the arena took some minor damage. The issue now is the hotels that weren’t damaged are now housing displaced families.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Our family house in Cape Coral took minor damage. Screen cage enclosing the pool and privacy fence are gone. Power and water came back a few days ago. Everything else in the area is an absolute disaster. Ft Myers and Ft Myers beach especially is gone. Talked to a contractor down there and they think it could take a few years to get everything back to what it was…. I asked him if he heard about the basketball games and he said it’s up in the air and the arena took some minor damage. The issue now is the hotels that weren’t damaged are now housing displaced families.
Just my opinion, but I think they need to take a long hard look about what/how to build back.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Just my opinion, but I think they need to take a long hard look about what/how to build back.
Yea. Nothing in that area was constructed correctly, especially Cape Coral. When we first started doing down there in 2009 I asked why are all the power lines above ground? I was told that they developed the area too quickly and the people in charge wanted to get Everything developed as soon as possible. I’m amazed at how quickly the area has blown up but at the same time, it seemed to be a complete mess.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Looks like Sam Houston knocked off Utah by 10 points on Thursday night in the Ft. Myers campus game. Maybe Sam Houston is really good this year, but I am hoping this is more of an indication as to where Utah is at. I’d love to go win this thing.

slugboy

Staff member
The next visible stretch of games that I see are

Mon, Nov 21: Utah (likely _slight_ underdog)
Sat, Nov 26: North Alabama (heavy favorite)
Tue, Nov 29: Iowa (as of today, heavy underdog)
Fri, Dec 2: Northeastern (heavy favorite)
Tue, Dec 6: UGA (tossup)
Sat, Dec 10: #1 UNC (heavy underdog)

The favorite/underdog/tossup ratings are from a quick glance at KenPom and Sagarin. KenPom is really last year’s ratings right now.

gdamian

Georgia Tech Fan
5-2 Going to UNC would not be terrible. 6-1 would be very good. Means we won two games against real teams.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Utah stinks. We're slight underdogs, but if we're going to have a decent year we need to win this game. We also need to beat UGA. Iowa can still score a ton, so that's a loss. To have a chance at a 19-20 win season we need to be 7-1 or 6-2 at worst headed to UNC.

Going 500 in ACC play would put us around that 20 win mark to be on the bubble hopefully.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Going 500 in ACC play would put us around that 20 win mark to be on the bubble hopefully.

Based on pre-conf results, I think five teams from ACC will get bids. UNC, Duke & UVA seem like locks. Miami and Va Tech seem likely, but lots of games left to play. Anyone beyond those five is going to have an uphill sled this year as our in-conference RPI may be the worst ever. There are some really really bad teams in the ACC this year so our ACC games will hurt us, not help us.