Is Navy losing its guy to Arizona?

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He is a damn good football coach, let the kid transfer the school will be there long after he is gone.
I suspect if he goes he will change his offense and that is part of the offer. He might run a bit under center to show the triple, but out of the shotgun otherwise. He does some of that now. It is not that the offense doesn't work because it demonstrably does, big time. But there is that QB problem that will be no different at Arizona than it has been at Tech and Navy, and the obvious problem recruiting blue chip running backs into an offense where they might hardly ever touch the ball. And at Arizona he would not have the academic barriers he has at Navy and that Johnson has at Tech. I can see that guy blowing the lights out recruiting at Arizona. He is a bright, innovative and adaptive coach. He will change as needed. But there are those who say the brains behind his Navy offense and its innovations is Ivin Jasper, the OC who is rumored to be in line to coach Navy if it opens. Would be a dilemma for him.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I have the feeling that Paul's successor will either be Jeff Monken or Ken Niumatalolo(y)
Niumatalolo was near BYU, and had an Arizona offer in hand when he returned to the Naval Academy, so any question over his offense had been resolved. (I like to think that learning the school president sat with the sulking star QB at a basketball game made Niumatalolo's stomach turn and his mind change, but who knows?) But he is running out of places get to offers from I would think. Nobody wants want to walk up to the threshhold and get dumped. But save for salary he has a better situation at Navy than he would have in Atlanta, including -- if you would believe it -- more support from the administration. The academies are about winning for the obvious reasons.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Niumatalolo was near BYU, and had an Arizona offer in hand when he returned to the Naval Academy, so any question over his offense had been resolved. (I like to think that learning the school president sat with the sulking star QB at a basketball game made Niumatalolo's stomach turn and his mind change, but who knows?) But he is running out of places get to offers from I would think. Nobody wants want to walk up to the threshhold and get dumped. But save for salary he has a better situation at Navy than he would have in Atlanta, including -- if you would believe it -- more support from the administration. The academies are about winning for the obvious reasons.
It may be easier to hire Jeff M0nken when Paul retires in 2020 or 2021 than Ken in my opinion.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Jeez, a bunch of things can happen in 2 or 3 years.

What if we can hire 3 or 4 guys better than Jeff or Ken?

Are there actually going to be people here that would hire lessor coaches just because of the O they run?

Typical GT post SEC membership insanity.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Jeez, a bunch of things can happen in 2 or 3 years.

What if we can hire 3 or 4 guys better than Jeff or Ken?

Are there actually going to be people here that would hire lessor coaches just because of the O they run?

Typical GT post SEC membership insanity.
My list of 10 possible successors to Paul Johnson at GT in no particular order:

Ken Niumatalolo Navy
Jeff M0nken Army
Scott Satterfield Appalachian State
Mike Houston James Madison
Chris Klieman North Dakota State
John Grass Jacksonville State
Neal Brown Troy
Jeff Tedford Fresno State
Brian Bohannon Kennesaw State
Pat Fitzgerald Northwestern