Is Devine really 370?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Tried to find a picture to at least suggest this might be accurate and all I could come up with is this:

032514_tech_football_CC6.JPG

#75 standing on the near sideline on the 35 yardline is Errin Joe who is listed at 326. Standing next to him on the same yard line is Devine #71. He doesn't look any bigger than Joe (visual perspective accounted for.)

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I did a cut out of each player and weighed. They are the same : ) and yes I did account for the 10 feet of depth perspective (not really, but it sounds like a Tech thing).

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
If you go on facebook to the GT Athletic site there is a good picture of Shamire. Unfortunately he looks very much out of shape as does Erin Joe and a walk on who I think is Tim Seager. I don't know what these guys did in the off season other than eat. I'm afraid everyone's hype about Shamire being the next great offensive lineman at Tech are unfounded. Unless he drops another 40 or so lbs. and builds up his strength he will most likely be on the scout team.

Go Jackets!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
If you go on facebook to the GT Athletic site there is a good picture of Shamire. Unfortunately he looks very much out of shape as does Erin Joe and a walk on who I think is Tim Seager. I don't know what these guys did in the off season other than eat. I'm afraid everyone's hype about Shamire being the next great offensive lineman at Tech are unfounded. Unless he drops another 40 or so lbs. and builds up his strength he will most likely be on the scout team.

Go Jackets!
nonsense, in fact I hope you are wrong with due respect!

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Go Jackets!
He does need to get in better shape and so does Joe. However, Shamire has lost a good deal of weight already and has muscle underneath all that "padding"lol

Kid has ton of potential but he needs to keep working and get in better shape. Also, he was hurt for a couple of months in the fall which prevented him from working out.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
I wonder if they might go onto the Goal-line def? Make some use on that bulk.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!

Jerry come on...our best OL looks out of shape compared to the rest, both with Shaq and Uzzi. There are a ton of OL who look just like Joe and Devine that are awesome. Lets not totally discredit them.

DuckGT

Ramblin' Wreck
He does need to get in better shape and so does Joe. However, Shamire has lost a good deal of weight already and has muscle underneath all that "padding"lol

Kid has ton of potential but he needs to keep working and get in better shape. Also, he was hurt for a couple of months in the fall which prevented him from working out.
What was he before? Over 400?

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with "JerryTheJacket", it sounds iffy at this time at 370lbs. However, the Depth Chart at the end of Spring Training will tell the tale as to his progress.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Back in the Dark Ages when I was young, the Jets had an OT named Sherman Plunkett. He was 6'5" and weighed right at 380. He was a great football player, nonetheless, and for the same reason Devine will be: quick feet. I remember an opposing DL saying that trying to get around Plunkett was like "… hitting a giant, dancing marshmallow." He was so big that, as long as his legs held up, muscle mass was completely irrelevant. When his legs gave out, his career was over.

I don't think Devine - or Joe, for that matter - is anywhere near as chubby as Plunkett was; he may have been the fattest good football player since Fats Henry. But I also think that, as long as Devine's legs hold out, we don't need to worry too much about his effectiveness. I think he starts next season; shoot, if he had stayed healthy, he would have started last season.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Is this a real thread? Dude is 6'7 and an OL...he's not going to be a skinny guy. I swear, all these threads questioning the validity of listed weights is starting to get stalker creepy...