Is Dabo gone too?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Name another active coach who has won a natty? Jimbo hahaha unlimited resources at A&M and can't get past 8 wins. What type of sustainable success has Kiffen shown? IF Dabo turns them down, Pete Carroll could jump back to college, but he's a So Cal guy, not backwoods Alabama. If Kirby don't win it this year, he could replace Saban in the near future....if you cant beat em, join em. But Dabo is Bamas next coach.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
They shut the program down because of the lack of support and the institutional cost. Yes, they started it back up again but so what? Find five people in the entire state who sport UAB swag. My family got their medical education there and they all support Alabama. UAB is not viewed as a serious player anymore than Samford is
I’m thinking 25k per home game is a little greater than 5! I’m also pretty sure that you can google SBNation and other sights and quickly discredit the commission report and anyone who denies the hidden agenda from the board of regents.
Any school ( Alabama) who has used the open records act to obtain a recruiting advantage is capable of anything.

Your comment about the Swag brings back the memories of all the pics of Alabama fans flooding Walmart to get a glossy 12”x12” with the National Championship Trophy. Sadly, that probably included the likes of Harvey Updike and Adrian Briskey.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I’m thinking 25k per home game is a little greater than 5! I’m also pretty sure that you can google SBNation and other sights and quickly discredit the commission report and anyone who denies the hidden agenda from the board of regents.
Any school ( Alabama) who has used the open records act to obtain a recruiting advantage is capable of anything.

Your comment about the Swag brings back the memories of all the pics of Alabama fans flooding Walmart to get a glossy 12”x12” with the National Championship Trophy. Sadly, that probably included the likes of Harvey Updike and Adrian Briskey.
Well, it wasn't well hidden. And that has everything to do with why it was back so quickly.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I have no idea where you are going with this. There are two, and only two, football programs in the State of Alabama with broad support ... Alabama and Auburn. Nobody cares about UAB, USA, Troy or any of the other programs. If you think Clark is going to go from UAB to Bama as head coach, I think you are delusional.

But, you have a right to your opinion. No need to respond. I have nothing further to add.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Name another active coach who has won a natty? Jimbo hahaha unlimited resources at A&M and can't get past 8 wins. What type of sustainable success has Kiffen shown? IF Dabo turns them down, Pete Carroll could jump back to college, but he's a So Cal guy, not backwoods Alabama. If Kirby don't win it this year, he could replace Saban in the near future....if you cant beat em, join em. But Dabo is Bamas next coach.
I would debate this because coming behind Saban is a complete nightmare with expectations. He is the king at Clemson but would be compared to Saban at every turn. Very seldom have coaches been highly successful coming behind huge legends. Also it remains to be seen how much of Clemson's success was built around having a great DC who just left. Alabama has had a constant turnover in coaches. But give Saban his due in the fact he has weathered those storms really well. Not sure if Dabo will have the same success with turnover since one of his keys is having a very stable staff.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Who was ”fired from Alabama”?
Indeed he was, when Mike DuBose's entire staff got the ax in 2001, and he spent two years in commercial real estate before Tommy Bowden hired him as WR coach at Clemson. Won't surprise you he made a lot of money in real estate. He doesn't hold a grudge but he hasn't forgotten.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Urban Meyer. The only coach who can match Saban imo (in college anyways).

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
Indeed he was, when Mike DuBose's entire staff got the ax in 2001, and he spent two years in commercial real estate before Tommy Bowden hired him as WR coach at Clemson. Won't surprise you he made a lot of money in real estate. He doesn't hold a grudge but he hasn't forgotten.
I agree to disagree. He was needing to make some money. Not at the paltry sums being paid.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Urban Meyer. The only coach who can match Saban imo (in college anyways).
You're not listening. Dabo has no interest in Alabama and Alabama, once they get a close look at the Swinney "culture" will have no interest in him. Nobody at Alabama believes differently. Alabama must win now, dammit!
I agree to disagree. He was needing to make some money. Not at the paltry sums being paid.
Not sure I follow, but Swinney always credited/blamed Gene Stallings for his career in football. Said he had just taken a job making $30,000 or so a year, stopped by to watch an Alabama football practice, Stallings grabbed him, said he needed a master's degree, made him a graduate assistant, told him when to show up for work, and that was that. He told the story in Stallings's presence and it was not disputed. It has been said that the only way Swinney would take the Alabama job would be if Stallings made a personal request because he owes everything to Stallings.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
You're not listening. Dabo has no interest in Alabama and Alabama, once they get a close look at the Swinney "culture" will have no interest in him. Nobody at Alabama believes differently. Alabama must win now, dammit!

Not sure I follow, but Swinney always credited/blamed Gene Stallings for his career in football. Said he had just taken a job making $30,000 or so a year, stopped by to watch an Alabama football practice, Stallings grabbed him, said he needed a master's degree, made him a graduate assistant, told him when to show up for work, and that was that. He told the story in Stallings's presence and it was not disputed. It has been said that the only way Swinney would take the Alabama job would be if Stallings made a personal request because he owes everything to Stallings.
?

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow

The part with which I disagree is saying that Dabo was targeted for him to be fired. That is all. He is very close to Gene and his child.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Urban???? He flamed out with his out of control programs. He has to run when the kitchen gets hot.
How many NC games did Meyer win against Saban? Swinney has two. but I admit to an anti-Meyer view. Anybody who would throw his wife under the bus is beyond a creep.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I would debate this because coming behind Saban is a complete nightmare with expectations. He is the king at Clemson but would be compared to Saban at every turn. Very seldom have coaches been highly successful coming behind huge legends. Also it remains to be seen how much of Clemson's success was built around having a great DC who just left. Alabama has had a constant turnover in coaches. But give Saban his due in the fact he has weathered those storms really well. Not sure if Dabo will have the same success with turnover since one of his keys is having a very stable staff.
I am told that Swinney has a "stable" of highly regarded coaches and knew two years ago who would replace the OC or DC should they leave. Several are stashed in off-field positions, so we will see. But it would be a mistake to credit Venables and/or Elliott for covering Swinney's behind. He has proved his coaching skills several times and I think we will see it again, though his new appointments will get the credit ... with Swinneys approval.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Jimbo is an interesting coach. He recruits with the very best. A&M has never had a class lower than #8 under him. This year they have four 5 stars guys and 14 four star guys. Number 3 class nationally, of course behind Bama and UGA.

He won a NC with Winston and came very close to making the CFP in 2020 with Mondi a 4th year senior QB. He seems to need an experience elite QB to play with the Big Boys, though who doesn't. He took a big step beating Bama/Saban this year. A&M will always be very good while he is there and as has been said they have unlimited resources. Texas going to the SEC will have a negative impact on A&M if Texas ever gets it act together. Still I would love to have their problems with Jimbo at GT!