Is Collins nasty enough to be a HC ?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
People with vision can make it happen. As I have said before, people when I was a youngster thought you would be crazy to coach in Tallahassee or Clemson or Eugene, Oregon or Miami. But there are men who went and turned them into dream jobs for others. I say who wants to take over at OSU or Bama or Clemson (now)? You can't achieve anything there that is going to impress anyone. It's already been done. I found out in my career you always wanted to take over the department, plant or division that had underperformed rather than overperformed. Much easier to make your name that way. I suspect Collins sees it that way at GT. (Not saying it's guaranteed to do it). But I do like he has been here before so he WAS in a good place to evaluate the pros and cons unlike someone like CPJ who had not. Disclaimer: this is NOT a CPJ vs CGC statement.
All those places you mention flood their football programs with cash, indoor fields, football palaces, charter flights, and the list goes on. I am not a Tech graduate so I really don't have a dog in the money fight, but does anybody see Georgia Tech doing that? I don't mean it to be a downer because it has a lot going for it and can still be a good place to coach, but 2014 or so is the closest we ever got to a NC game. It was going to take a perfect game to get us there, and we didn't get it. I'd like to be wrong, but...

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
All those places you mention flood their football programs with cash, indoor fields, football palaces, charter flights, and the list goes on.

My friend, you are missing the point or perhaps getting it backwards. I have no idea of your age but they didn't always do this. Then the right guy showed up (the visionary guy) and had success where there was little or none before. People enjoyed it so much they wanted more. And then spent accordingly.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Or,

He's like Frank Beamer, Bill Snyder, George O'Leary & Joe Paterno and take a middling program and becomes the architect of a solid program. VT KSU UCF & PSU were not "dream jobs" to the masses when those guys took over their respected schools, but look what was built over time. Am I comparing CGC to any of them, no. But he could be compared to them over time, given that success happens.

Either way, I'm gonna cheer and root and pull for whatever team GT puts on the field.

O’Leary agreed to go to his dream job, Notre Dame, before his resume discrepancies were identified. Most coaches will leave if given the opportunity to make significant more $$ for them & their assistants.

I hope that is the problem we have, because it will mean he was successful. My gut is that it may not go that way.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
My friend, you are missing the point or perhaps getting it backwards. I have no idea of your age but they didn't always do this. Then the right guy showed up (the visionary guy) and had success where there was little or none before. People enjoyed it so much they wanted more. And then spent accordingly.
You can even look over to the school 77 miles east of Atlanta. While they’ve always spent money like a powerhouse program, the increase in their spending from 2010 to 2020 is insane. The majority of that uptick can be accredited to the hiring of Kirby Smart. Georgia spent $500k on football recruiting expenses in 2013. They spent over $3.7M in recruiting alone in 2019. That’s over a 700% increase in recruiting spending alone over a 6 year period. Their total football expenditures increased by over $9M last year, after bringing in a record profit.

We’ve seen Georgia go from being a really good program, to a top tier program right before our eyes in about half a decade. Solely because they decided they were going to become some of the top spenders in the nation. It’s the same exact formula Clemson and Oregon have used in the modern day, and Miami and FSU did a few decades ago. One visionary guy at the helm can literally transform the direction of a program.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
O’Leary agreed to go to his dream job, Notre Dame, before his resume discrepancies were identified. Most coaches will leave if given the opportunity to make significant more $$ for them & their assistants.

I hope that is the problem we have, because it will mean he was successful. My gut is that it may not go that way.

This is why we need to donate donate donate, so that we will be able to match the money. Of course the cheaper option is just bleeding White and Gold, buying GT gear and filling BDS@HGF every game day.

Scubapro

Banned
Well. The GTAA needs money.
Spending tons of money doesn't guarantee success. But not spending large sums of money guarantees failure.
There have been several ADs in recent memory that were less that judicious with the purse strings. ( I think Dave Brane got a kick back from Chan and Hewitt)
I posted a while back about this topic and how Roll Call gives no money to the GTAA per Dene Sheehan(SP?). They do puff out their chest about the millions they raise each homecoming game.
The school does a great job at fundraising HOWEVER, they will not share donor information or help the GTAA fundraise.
This is not conspiracy theory stuff. If you ask anyone in the GTAA or Roll Call they will tell you point blank that the school cannot provide more than 10% of the GTAA budget. They, RC and GT will not help the GTAA raise money. They could....BUT they won't.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Well. The GTAA needs money.
Spending tons of money doesn't guarantee success. But not spending large sums of money guarantees failure.
There have been several ADs in recent memory that were less that judicious with the purse strings. ( I think Dave Brane got a kick back from Chan and Hewitt)
I posted a while back about this topic and how Roll Call gives no money to the GTAA per Dene Sheehan(SP?). They do puff out their chest about the millions they raise each homecoming game.
The school does a great job at fundraising HOWEVER, they will not share donor information or help the GTAA fundraise.
This is not conspiracy theory stuff. If you ask anyone in the GTAA or Roll Call they will tell you point blank that the school cannot provide more than 10% of the GTAA budget. They, RC and GT will not help the GTAA raise money. They could....BUT they won't.
The big checks you see for the alum reunions includes pledges to the GTAA.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

If you build up a program to a certain point, support it and the coaches you bring in, then you can attract good coaches that want to stay.

Stanford and Duke are good examples. Harbaugh came in, recruited well, and built up Stanford to win consistently. Now Brian Shaw is maintaining a good program there, and he's been on many factory schools AD's lists and NFL lists over years but chooses to remain at Stanford because they maintained a program that Shaw finds attractive to put roots down.

Say what you want about David Cutcliffe, but he has raised the level of play for Duke. Duke has rewarded him and supported him enough that he's turned down several jobs over the year...he turned down Tennessee multiple times and that fanbase worships him for what he did with Peyton Manning, Tee Martin, and Heath Shuler.

Point is, GT can be one of those places. In this era, if a coach stays 8-10 years, that's considered a long time. If you look at what Stansbury is doing, he's putting things in place to attract good coaches and giving them reasons to stay. Giving CGC 7 years and all that money, and all the social media support isn't just helping CGC...it's also advertising for the next coach that GT is upping the game and doing what we need to do to bring in and support good coaches.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Not according to Dene...I asked him point blank how much of the money raised went to the GTAA...the answer was ZERO
My 5 year pledge total included both amounts. Georgia Tech Foundation and Alexander Tharpe. It was on the pledge form I sent in as separate donations but combined for the total.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
If you build up a program to a certain point, support it and the coaches you bring in, then you can attract good coaches that want to stay.

Stanford and Duke are good examples. Harbaugh came in, recruited well, and built up Stanford to win consistently. Now Brian Shaw is maintaining a good program there, and he's been on many factory schools AD's lists and NFL lists over years but chooses to remain at Stanford because they maintained a program that Shaw finds attractive to put roots down.

Say what you want about David Cutcliffe, but he has raised the level of play for Duke. Duke has rewarded him and supported him enough that he's turned down several jobs over the year...he turned down Tennessee multiple times and that fanbase worships him for what he did with Peyton Manning, Tee Martin, and Heath Shuler.

Point is, GT can be one of those places. In this era, if a coach stays 8-10 years, that's considered a long time. If you look at what Stansbury is doing, he's putting things in place to attract good coaches and giving them reasons to stay. Giving CGC 7 years and all that money, and all the social media support isn't just helping CGC...it's also advertising for the next coach that GT is upping the game and doing what we need to do to bring in and support good coaches.

I hope you are right, but I have major concerns about CGC's gameday coaching (and his staff) at this point. I support them, and I am rooting for them, but all of our discussion will be "naught" if success does not occur. I believe it could go either way at this point.

I believe if it occurs, CGC will go to greener pastures, but I hope you are right that we might have him for 8-10 years, if he is successful in this difficult undertaking that he is so aggressively attempting.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
What do we look like in year 5?
If we are in the elite, I can put up with the hiccups along the way.
What do you mean by elite? If you mean a consistent top 10 finisher then I think you’ll be disappointed. If you mean a legitimate top 25 program with the occasional top 10 finish then I think that’s where Tech is headed.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
People in here comparing Dabo and Collins saying Collins HAS to have good coordinators like he knows nothing is hysterical. Dabo was a WR coach and recruiting coordinator before becoming an HC Collins was DC in the SEC for multiple years and won coordinator of the year LMFAO.

LibertyTurns

Banned
People in here comparing Dabo and Collins saying Collins HAS to have good coordinators like he knows nothing is hysterical. Dabo was a WR coach and recruiting coordinator before becoming an HC Collins was DC in the SEC for multiple years and won coordinator of the year LMFAO.
Agree. If there’s anything Dabo has proven is you don‘t have to be a good OC or DC to be a good HC. We already know not every good OC or DC is not a good HC.

Scubapro

Banned
I don't think it's a fair comparison. Clemson's athletic program has the full backing of the school AND damn near unlimited resources.
The GTAA doesn't have the full backing of the institute and very limited resources. Our coaches MUST be smarter and get the most out of every opportunity. Collins has a good resume as a D coordinator. If you compared the two prior to Dabo's recent success I would give the nod to Collins. I don't think Dabo would be as successful if he had to rely entirely on his game day coaching abilities.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
This guy needs to stop patting people for
10 yard penalties. Are u kidding me? When is that commendable?

UVA had 1 penalty against a superior opponent in Clemson yesterday. That’s superior coaching. In no scenario are we going to win with poor coaching.