Is Collins nasty enough to be a HC ?

Is Dabo mean enough to be a head coach? I remember when people were calling him a clown.
I remember when Bobby Ross was 5-17 in his first two years. Was he qualified to be a head coach?

It amazes me how many people on this board don't have a clue. They don't understand that talent and experience matter. They just throw out "poor coaching" and don't even know what that means. As Urban Meyer said, college football starts and ends with recruiting. A large number of posters think coaches should be able to take any group and turn them into a top 10 team if the coaching is good enough. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Our recruiting sucked for a long time. That is the hand Collins was dealt. 8 new starters on D last year, and we lost Adams. We are still very young on D. The OL isn't nearly where it needs to be, and won't be until the current FR are third year players. We are staring a true FR QB--for better or worse, and probably worse the last two games.

Someone posted about all 4 stars we have. How many are on the OL, DT, DE, LB, TE, WR? OK Clayton is a five star DE, but he is rusty and maybe still hurt.

I'm not happy about 15 penalties and that is not acceptable. The kicking game is not acceptable, but again, Collins didn't inherit a great kicker.

A lot of the complaints about coaching are people who are just venting and I get that. But there is a whole lot of stupidity being exhibited on this board.
Coaching is your ability to do more with less and fixing things so they dont become a consistent problem. There is no doubt that Collins inherited kids who were not necessarily built for his system, but Johnson didnt inherit his type of kids and won 19 games in his first two years ( that includes beating more talented programs and teams). Being a great recruiter doesnt make you a great coach. It is clear there is more talent, but mistakes are the same, game in and game out. That is coaching. Constant penalties, bad play calling in the red zone, and the inability to make in game adjustments are something we are seeing each game. That is coaching. It doesnt matter how much talent you have if you cant coach it to its potential. After 15 games, I know is a small sample, but its enough of a sample to see that there is a reoccuring problem that our coaching staff is not getting the job done so far.
So stop calling people stupid because they see the same issues every week. I believe everyone here knows this will be a bit of struggle, but if coaching is good, would see improvement each week. Its clear its not. Lets hope he can figure it out, because all I see right now is a cheerleader, not a coach.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Nobody brings up the old regime except those looking for a “Ah Ha!” Moment
Look man, I didn’t bring up CPJ, but I did defend him. But here’s what I know. We just got blown out by the worst team on our schedule in an empty stadium. We turned the ball over 5 times and committed 15 penalties. Through three games we have committed 12 turnovers and 32 penalties. There’s something wrong that...and we will
NEVER win more than the occasional miracle game if it continues. One game, sure...but three games filled with turnovers and penalties is a pattern. Coaches are responsible at the end of the day. Even the turnover prone offense we ran for ten years didn’t ever turn the ball over at this rate...and I can’t remember a Tech team in history that committed penalties the way this one does.

At some point these dudes need to speak to what they’re doing wrong.

GT_EE78

Banned
Last year Coach P took 50th level talent and finished 127th of 130 FBS teams in total offense..
Assuming not all of them play this year , we should be improved.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Perhaps he is one of those coaches who NEVER shows his anger with a player in public. But almost every successful HC has to reach the point of an angry
outburst. Kind of like a baseball manager charging out of the dugout to yell at the umpire. Teams sometimes need a kick in the A**, right ?
Like Richt with a lot less talent ??
He proabably would have been a great fit with Coach Johnson as DC... Great recruiter.... He really didn't do much at Temple except lose to multiple FCS teams.. He didn't improve on what Matt Rhule did... He jost rode the wave until he got here....

First there is no doubt that he has raised the recruiting bar at Tech... But as far as the coaching goes..... I do not like the on field product... I do not see where the team is getting better or even ready to compete at the ACC level (Lets not talk about National level) I often hear about his vision, but you have multiple 4 star guys making the same mistakes in week 3 that they made in week one... where is the improvement at?

I am not sure we will ever be able to have B2B 7 win season with Coach Collins as HC.... We could but he might have to make some Coordinator changes... But it appears that the program may take a while to get to a 7 Win season under his leadership. Also I notice that the national media is all about Georgia Tech since we are not running the TO, often getting excited about Coach Collins and supporting his vision.... It will be interesting if they are still loving him in year 3 or 4.

DaDodd

Jolly Good Fellow
I needed a laugh after today and I appreciate you giving it to me because the comparison is that atrocious.
Just think about.
Both are cheerleaders. (catchy slogans "brotherhood" "404" "for the culture")
Both had made terrible in-game coaching decisions. (super bowl, onside kick/, two point conversion, time management)
Both don't seem to show any since of anger or frustration when it can be warranted.
Both teams can finish drives. (at least the falcons can kick field goals)

They're more alike than you think. I guess it just being in Atlanta.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Coaching is your ability to do more with less and fixing things so they dont become a consistent problem. There is no doubt that Collins inherited kids who were not necessarily built for his system, but Johnson didnt inherit his type of kids and won 19 games in his first two years ( that includes beating more talented programs and teams). Being a great recruiter doesnt make you a great coach. It is clear there is more talent, but mistakes are the same, game in and game out. That is coaching. Constant penalties, bad play calling in the red zone, and the inability to make in game adjustments are something we are seeing each game. That is coaching. It doesnt matter how much talent you have if you cant coach it to its potential. After 15 games, I know is a small sample, but its enough of a sample to see that there is a reoccuring problem that our coaching staff is not getting the job done so far.
So stop calling people stupid because they see the same issues every week. I believe everyone here knows this will be a bit of struggle, but if coaching is good, would see improvement each week. Its clear its not. Lets hope he can figure it out, because all I see right now is a cheerleader, not a coach.
This maybe the wildest statement on this board. Guy CPJs MOST TALENTED TEAM was Gailey’s guys. The 2009 team was the best team CPJ ever fielded Ik they lost the orange bowl but that was the most consistent team for sure.

Its wild why? He took guys that were not recruited for his system and won 19 games in two years. Thats coaching. If Gailey was as good a coach, he would have taken his recruits and won at a higher level than they did. We all know CPJ wasnt a great recruiter, but there is no doubt he was a good coach and pretty good at making game adjustments.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
You can only use that excuse for so long.... So we used that last year when we lost to the Citadel....At some point you have to call out our great recruiting staff for being piss poor coaches...
True freshman QB, RB, and Tackle. 3rd string TE who is a long snapper. The only upperclass DL is a converted OL. You guys can whine all you want but anyone that expected a turn around in year two wasn't being fair in the first place.

I'm not sugar coating anything. We got our *** kicked today. But a couple of those turnovers changed the game by 14-21 points and they were fluky turnovers (QB arm getting hit and ball going straight up in the air). Hopefully our fans give this staff a chance to turn this thing around as we all knew it was going to be an adjustment from a triple option team that didn't recruit

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Its wild why? He took guys that were not recruited for his system and won 19 games in two years. Thats coaching. If Gailey was as good a coach, he would have taken his recruits and won at a higher level than they did. We all know CPJ wasnt a great recruiter, but there is no doubt he was a good coach and pretty good at making game adjustments.
Come on this is totally unfair if not downright stupid. CPJ inherited a team with several future NFL players. CPJ left Collins with a roster that was half FCS talent.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
yall can complain all you want, the guy has 5+ years on his contract and we don't have any money to buy him out. So, sit in the sandbox and cry....or pull for this team of freshmen and sophomores, who will only get better. They don't have the established players above them that they can lean on for advice. They are building the foundation that GREAT teams will stand upon in the future.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
True freshman QB, RB, and Tackle. 3rd string TE who is a long snapper. The only upperclass DL is a converted OL. You guys can whine all you want but anyone that expected a turn around in year two wasn't being fair in the first place.

I'm not sugar coating anything. We got our *** kicked today. But a couple of those turnovers changed the game by 14-21 points and they were fluky turnovers (QB arm getting hit and ball going straight up in the air). Hopefully our fans give this staff a chance to turn this thing around as we all knew it was going to be an adjustment from a triple option team that didn't recruit
Let me paint a different picture

Multiple 4 star db's 5 star d linemen for the first time ever

Freshman running back that may be one of the best in the nation. Multiple 4 star receivers.

See I can paint a totally different picture with the same team, but at the end of the day, today was awful. I will not make a final judgement on this staff until the end of next season because it's not always so cut and dry. Some coaches come in and have immediate success (CPJ, Kirby smart, lincoln Riley...) But some also take much longer (bill up in NE, Frank beamer, hell even Bobby Bowden). Yes today sucks and the direction of the program in field ain't looking good from X's and o's, but recruiting is improved. I will say that I surely will not be happy waiting 7 years though. I think by the end of year 3 we have a good idea of what we have and year 4 should cement it either way.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The only elite player we had on the field today was Harvin. Gibbs and Griffin are close. Gibbs got his first 100 yard game. Lot of it on his own effort. No one is standing out on D . Was Charlie Thomas injured. Did not hear his name called.